• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ether Start System

Stealthbird97

Hi,

Does anyone know anything about the ether start kit. I am unable to find anything about it in the technical manuals.
I've recent bought a M35A2 and I am in the process of figuring out exactly what it has installed on it as there appear to be quite a few things missing and I want to try to restore it back to its former glory).
I'm sure that it has a Ether start system on it - Orange bottle situated in the engine compartment.
I am just wondering on how I am meant to operate in (not that I am actually going to require it here in the UK) and searching through the technical manuals can't seem to find anything about it.

Might it be listed as something other than "Ether" start as the only thing which I am able to find in the manuals is information regarding the manifold heater - is it the same system?

If anyone has any information I'd be most grateful.

steelandcanvas

Any unidentified buttons on the dash? Personally I don't think the ether is a good way to start a Deuce, if you need ether something is wrong. The ether and manifold heater sytem are not the same systems.

Stealthbird97

Wow, wasn't expecting such a quick reply.

I don't believe there is any switches which I don't know what they do.
I've just found this video on youtube which seems to suggest that the ether start is is run by using the manifold heater switch.
Go to 1 minute 31 seconds
https://youtu.be/f8kBRpl32a0?t=1m31s

Looking through the manuals at the manifold heater stuff, I don't believe I have a manifold heater installed however I do have a manifold heater switch in the cab.
Also like I said, I'm not planning on using the system. Just want an understanding on how it works.

Last edited:

steelandcanvas

The switch is a momentary contact, powering a solenoid valve that allows the ether enter the intake manifold. I guess it could be activated by the manifold heater switch, since it is spring loaded. You not sure if you have the manifold heater or not?

steelandcanvas

Hmmmm, maybe they remove the manifold heater when installing the ether delivery system, and just leave the switch. You definitely wouldn't want to use both systems at the same time.

Stealthbird97

They may well have done that. But there appears to be a complete absence of information regarding the ether start system in the 2006 and 1988 revisions of the manuals. Which I find peculiar. Reading elsewhere on the site. Apparently the Ether system was better and installed preferentially over the standard flame manifold heater on later vehicles.
I've got a 1968 M35A2 with a 1991 -1D engine by Hercules.

rustystud

Mine has the ether start system installed. There is a switch and data plate on the lower left side of the dash. The switch is a momentary on switch. You move the switch to on and then try and start the truck. With the engine spinning you release the switch which sends a small burst of either into the manifold just ahead of the turbo. The switch cannot be activated when the engine is warm. The sensor is installed into the coolant manifold just behind the thermostat.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When a truck is modified from an intake flame heater to an ether start kit, you replace the dash data plate and reuse the switch for the ether. All of the flame heater is disabled or removed. The wiring is reused for the ether also.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When a truck is modified from an intake flame heater to an ether start kit, you replace the dash data plate and reuse the switch for the ether. All of the flame heater is disabled or removed. The wiring is reused for the ether also.
I second that. There is one wire you need to run to the newly installed coolant thermostat (so the solenoid does not fire unless the coolant is cold enough) and the dash switch and wiring are re-purposed. Kit comes with new dash plate.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks