Page 1 of 69 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Operation "URGENT RESTORATION"

Thanks

Default Operation "URGENT RESTORATION"

This will be the official restoration thread of the newly acquired M561 I posted about in an earlier thread. I was going to get it on the way to the Weare, NH rally but I just could not wait. I headed out Thursday at midnight and arrived in NY at 07:30 Friday Morning. Took about 6 hours of messing around, extracting parts from multiple hidey holes and loading. Got a few bonus items such as a hard top and NOS tailgate which were un expected but much appreciated. Arrived home just after midnight Friday/Saturday morning.

As you can see the trailer is loaded to the max, I don't think I could have fit much more, both carriers and the pickup bed are full of parts. It's going to take a couple days of sorting through things to see what I have for extras to trade. I do have some extra cab top bows, not sure if they are all complete, a really nice set of folding troop seats and an extra rear steer box cover for Tom.

My priority parts list will be a front steering box and front fenders. I got a nice set of rear fenders and splash guards but no front fenders. The window glass was all smashed out so a new windshield assy. may be in order. My next challenge is to get it all unloaded, headed out now.

Oh, and you are probably wondering why is the back half of a tractor is hacked off and attached to a carrier with a steering wheel. That was a farmer who had an idea to use it to harvest apples out of his orchard. He never finished it and I'm not sure how he planned to power it or get the steering linkage to work. However, it is a nice carrier and provides an extra rear tractor diff and two extra tires.

Keep a look out for part numbers, socket sizes etc. as I progress along. I will do my best to list all the cross over part numbers I can find. Perhaps at the end we can come up with a collective list of part numbers.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by m38inmaine; 07-12-2015 at 16:05.
    SSG USA(RET)
    85-05
    12B Combat Engineer

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to m38inmaine For This Useful Post:

jeffhuey1n (07-30-2019), M813rc (06-30-2015), USAFSS-ColdWarrior (07-08-2016)

Thanks

A mountain of goat treasure! Good luck we are all pulling for ya. If I have any stuff you need let me know.
    Tom

MVPA
    Thanks

If you're still looking for a Goat windshield,you may try member popacom here on SS.

I tried replying to your PM,but your PM box is full.

Thanks

Thanks, I will give him a shout. PM is empty now.
    SSG USA(RET)
    85-05
    12B Combat Engineer

Corporal
    Thanks

Wow that's a whole lot of history on that there trailer! Awesome project, I can't wait to see it progress and hit the road...

Thanks

If all you goat owners felt a disturbance in the force yesterday it was my fault. The carrier on the end of the trailer would not roll, the wheels would rotate a few inches then lock up. I unhooked the drive shaft and still locked, the differential was locked and either while under power or dragged the result was the axle shafts snapped a u joint on each side. The steering was also locked solid and the wheels of course were not straight. So I had no choice but to get the torch out and cut off the axle shafts and both steering tie rod tubes. I don't have a tractor to unload with so I had to have them all roll off. That carrier will be used for parts. The other units rolled off fine. I was able to use a bar and manually rotate the steering coupler on the other carrier, it actually turned quite easy, what a relief.
    I did manage to get some work done, removed what was left of the fenders on the RH side and removed all the bolts holding the cowl on. Started to disconnect all the wiring on the dash and removing switches etc. Pictures of the removed parts and Tom's deck cover, that carrier is supplying parts already.
    SSG USA(RET)
    85-05
    12B Combat Engineer

Thanks

Had a little time after work today to get some work done on the goat. Managed to get the cowl off, had to cut it in several pieces and carefully remove the wiring. Looks naked but much better. Next I will remove the seats and clean the cab.
    SSG USA(RET)
    85-05
    12B Combat Engineer

Thanks
    Thanked 3,666 Times in 1,759 Posts

PM sent regarding steering box.
    KG5RKO
    1954 M37
    1955 Austin Champ
    1980 M116A2 MEP003
    1995 M105A3

US ARMY - Overlanding since 1775

Thanks
    Thanked 2,895 Times in 1,430 Posts

I am totally taken aback by your enthusiasm to do this project. Well done you! I shall be following your progress at all stages of the project. Awesome.
    DIAMOND T M20.
    M54A2 I.H. M62. wrecker
    M54A2 5 Ton (with Praga command station surveillance body fitted)
    M45 530C TFFT fire truck
    1942 Ford Jeep (with underfloor tulsa winch)
    1945 Willys Jeep (with V8 flathead Engine) And overdrive.
    Packard Staff car. (WW11. General Pattern Tribute).
    Ural Military Motorcycle.
    Ex Army Hyster 4 ton Fork lift.
    Onan 7.5 kw ex army generator.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by m38inmaine View Post
    Had a little time after work today to get some work done on the goat. Managed to get the cowl off, had to cut it in several pieces and carefully remove the wiring. Looks naked but much better. Next I will remove the seats and clean the cab.

Are those wiper motors still good to go? Tin snips look like they came in handy.
    Tom

Page 1 of 69 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 ... LastLast