• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Operation "URGENT RESTORATION"

m38inmaine

Well it seems there is a demand for goat thread activity so here is what I have. First a stuck engine, plan is to pull the engine and get the head off to see what's going on, probably a re-sleeve and new pistons at a minimum. I received a few parts recently and finished the final two lights, the front marker lights. Also received two NOS bottom seat cushions and a seat.

I tried to have some flexible brake lines made locally(200 mile round trip)at a specialty shop but they said they could not get the right fittings. So I shipped them off to Royal Brass and Hose, they did them for another member here, they had them in and out pretty much the same day. I needed the 4 on the front of the carrier, I also bought a new quick release coupler as the seals on mine looked dried out. At $60 a gallon I don't want to risk any of that silicone brake fluid leaking out. As soon as the lines arrive and are installed I am going to attach the carrier back to the tractor and get it tucked in for winter. Given the tight quarters between the two I wanted all the parts replaced while separated. Also a shot of the goat as she sits now and the parts storage locker full of finished and NOS parts just crying to be installed.

Attachments

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have to say the tractor looks kind of "naked" without the fenders. Let me know where you source the engine parts. As soon as I can find someone to do it I'm in for a complete overhaul.

m38inmaine

Flexible lines arrived for the carrier to tractor. Raining today so I broke out the tubing bender and some 1/4 tube and fabricated the hard lines that mount on the carrier flex coupling. Will unbolt the engine mountings today and perhaps will pull the engine power pack this weekend. Glad to see Brandon got some new shoes for his goat, wish I was that far along. Mid next week a 60lb box will arrive with a NOS kit for the goat, stay tuned...

Attachments

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So does royal brass and hose have a part # for those hoses? And proud of the hoses is RB&H?

None of my local farm hydraulic or brake folks wanted to remake mine, even using my old hose connectors for parts.

No RB&H out here, but maybe by mail.

Last edited:

m38inmaine

The total with shipping was $115.55, I shipped my old ones to the GA store to copy. Here are the part numbers:
13.25" X BQ101RB HF31 & HFIM19 2EA @ $22.03
12.00" x BQ101RB HF31 E/E 2EA @ $26.10
The longer hoses are the ones that are exposed and attach to the tractor, the shorter two are on the back side of the carrier swivel coupling. I was in the same situation here in Maine, no store I went to was able(or willing)to make them. Another member here told me he had his made at the GA store so that's where I shipped mine. They did tell me they had to source some of the fittings from another branch so I would just get them from the branch nearest to you. The counter guy also gave me new nuts and ferrills so that was a nice bonus. The shorter ones are available from Equipment Parts Sales on ebay for half the price but given the age of the rubber I did not want to take a chance. Also the clips/clamps that hold the 1/4 brake tubing to the chassis are NAPA # 784654, they have a rubber coating on them that can be taken off if you want them all metal like the original, I prefer the coating.

Last edited:

m38inmaine

Installed the new tractor to carrier brake lines, blasted the carrier wiring harness connector with plastic media to clean it up. That finished up what was needed to be able to connect the carrier back to the tractor. Enlisted the help of my son and we attached the carrier, a little tedious but not too bad. Now I can pull it straight in and out of the garage as needed when it's time to pull the engine. Even though it was trivial it seems good to have it all as one piece, something accomplished.

Attachments

m38inmaine

Installed the center u-joint today, a trial in patience for sure given the tight quarters and the rear steering slip shaft. Also secured the carrier steering box cover with new hardware received today, 1/4-20x3/4.

TIP: The DA Pam 750-31 talks about checking the u-joints to make sure they are tight, well they were right. While under the truck installing the u-joint I gazed over at the passenger side wheel u-joint and could see that it was loose, even with the locking tabs they still loosen.

Attachments

m38inmaine

60lb box arrived today containing a NOS Winterization door kit. Kit was intercepted headed for the Gilbert rally in PA. The drawing 11661583 showing assembly and the two door hinge assemblies 11661598-1(-2) were missing. I have a pair of old hinge assemblies I can clean up and use but if anyone should happen to have a new set I'm interested. Would also like a copy of the drawing.

Attachments

m38inmaine

Driver's seat adjuster was froze so I took it apart, no real rust just super dry so cleaned it up and sprayed in some lithium grease. Blasted, primed and painted the used door hinge assemblies I needed to complete the door kit. Installed and connected up the rear tail lights I refurbished, had to wait for some bulbs to arrive before I could finish them.

Attachments

combat32

Looks good Mark, I have one complete set of the doors for the pass side, but have the frames for both. Let me know if you stumble onto another kit like that, off to Red River tomorrow, got a list of part numbers longer than my leg. Hoping for the best, after talking to him on the phone last week he is not even sure how much goat stuff he has. Big ticket items for sure, hard tops, tailgates, t-case and what not.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks good Mark, I have one complete set of the doors for the pass side, but have the frames for both. Let me know if you stumble onto another kit like that, off to Red River tomorrow, got a list of part numbers longer than my leg. Hoping for the best, after talking to him on the phone last week he is not even sure how much goat stuff he has. Big ticket items for sure, hard tops, tailgates, t-case and what not.
Keep an eye out for the tractor soft top frame if you see one and if he has the NOS tranny covers I remember hearing about. He also has mounted tires but won't sell them unless the buyer previews so you might want to take a look to see if any are worth grabbing down the road.

m38inmaine

Started to pull items off the head to remove it today and I found what is probably the cause of the stuck engine. As you can see a critter packed the exhaust pipe and manifold full of goodies, who knows what else I'll find.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks