• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Block heater question.

lonewolf90

I want to install and block heater or tank style not sure yet. What is the easiest to do???. How do you pop the free plug out. Sorry been trying to find info on how to install both types on here under the search on here but dont seem to becoming up with anything just what freeze plug to use and watts. Sorry if this has been answered before I just can't find it.

sweetk30

just did a freeze plug unit on a 8.3 in a m936a2 . ya not same as yours but install the same .

drain coolent .

pic a easy freeze plug on side of engine . some engines have specific spot it fits only . not sure on 6.2 . civi truck engine I saw recently had the oem or aftermarket on the left side . not sure on the plug position tho . 83c30 6.2 engine.

long prybar / good hammer / tap the plug top or bottom and get it to twist in the hole . easy so it don't drop in . ........

clean bore hole for freeze plug and then lube up oring on block heater and install.

refill coolent and your done .

some offer 650watt and others offer 1000 watt . depends on how cold your area is and how much you want the electric meter to spin. . . . .

cucvrus

GM Parts dealer offers a nice GM kit for about $40. it fits many engines in including the 6.2 diesel. Piece of cake to install. Just drain the radiator and drill a hole in the left center freeze plug. It will leak out and drain the block coolant. Then screw a side hammer dent puller in the hole one good wack and the plug is in your hand. Check the plug on the inside and see if it is corroded or thin on the inside. If it is proceed to drill and pull and replace all of them at this time. Replace with Brass ones. I did want to let you know I have the same GM one on my M1009 Plow unit for over 20 years. Last year I thought it quit working. Wrong it was unplugged at the engine from ice building up on the cord. I reattached it and added another clip to hold it in place. the other one had rusted off.

Last edited:

rsh4364

GM Parts dealer offers a nice GM kit for about $40. it fits many engines in including the 6.2 diesel. Piece of cake to install. Just drain the radiator and drill a hole in the left center freeze plug. It will leak out and drain the block coolant. Then screw a side hammer dent puller in the hole one good wack and the plug is in your hand. Check the plug on the inside and see if it is corroded or thin on the inside. If it is proceed to drill and pull and replace all of them at this time. Replace with Brass ones. I did want to let you know I have the same GM one on my M1009 Plow unit for over 20 years. Last year I thought it quit working. Wrong it was unplugged at the engine from ice building up on the cord. I reattached it and added another clip to hold it in place. the other one had rusted off.
Where can I get the brass freeze plugs?

cucvrus

Expansion Plug Applications V8 - 6.2 (379 CID)1993-82 Engine Kit Diesel 557-059 This is the Dorman # for Brass freeze out plugs. It is the only one I seen listed on the 6.2 (379 CID) engine.
New Product Hotline - 800-336-3575 I am only going by what I seen on the internet so it has to be truth.

Jozseph

Where can I get the brass freeze plugs?
I had to change a leaking "core plug"{that is what the real name is, people call them freeze plugs - FWIW Read; "A CORE PLUG IS NOT A FREEZE PLUG" -see URL:http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/cooling/cool_105.htm
I wanted a "Made in USA Brass plug". Researching I located brass Made in USA plugs.

Marketed by Milodon, Inc., I call there tech support to ask which one would fit the 6.2 block. Was told the small block Chevy -400 kit. It is Part number 34032 Brass Freeze Plug Kit.

Regards

Joseph

rsh4364

Thanks guys.I want to install a tank style block heater on the drivers side where there is more room.I want to get a brass plug and get a brass nipple brazed on it then tie block heater into it.

Last edited:

rsh4364

No its just easier to install on drivers side,if I were you I would do the freeze plug style much easier.Maybe not as efficient as the the tank style heater but more than needed down to -10.Temro is the brand to go with,avoid katz brand.

Last edited:

cucvrus

If you put one on each side. I would recommend putting in 2 cords. That is a lot of amperage to run thru one cord. I would think one on the center driver side freeze plug would be sufficient. Another trick if you let the defrost switch in defrost position it will keep a bit of the window deiced. I have several that I plug in for snow plow trucks and they all have the GM block expansion plug heater type. ll work well this year I had a cord fail . I found it during the serving process in June or July. So no harm. I see you are in Michigan. I don't think you need the arctic kit in Michigan. Have a good day and keep it warm when it is cold and the wait light hardly comes on at all. But keep everything else in good working order also. No fuel leaks, good strong batteries and good glow plugs are also as important as the block heater. Good PM is the Key to a reliable CUCV in winter. (along with a can of magic spray;) Did I say that?

lonewolf90

I started to work on my truck tonight I tried using a screwdriver and it don't seem to budge. I started to indent the freeze plug. Any suggestions. I don't have a dent puller.

cucvrus

Drill a hole in it. With a cordless drill or an air drill. It will drain out. Wait for it to drain. Use a steel rod and punch the plug into the block. Grip it with a vise grip and pull it out. You will get wet and dirty be careful. It is easy. Be patient.
I have just gone and punched the expansion plugs out without drilling a hole and it gets exciting real fast. Do it when the engine is COLD.
CAUTION. ONLY DO THIS ON A COLD ENGINE CAUTION. Turn engine off before removing expansion plug.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks