• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV Half Shafts

dodgemain

Hi,
Looking for a set of rear half shafts for my newly aquired M998. I see a few people selling them on eBay. Is one brand better than another or are they all the same? Where is the best place to buy them? Below are a few pictures of my truck. Former USMC/Navy Seabees. Wish they didn't paint over the logo. Thanks in advance for any help or comments.
Chris

Attachments

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 500.00 for a set are Chinese.....they are ok for the money. But look for NOS if you want correct ones.
the NOS are CARC black....the Chinese are blued and rust instantly on the outside...so paint them.
there are 3 you will need...left front, right front and 2 of the same for the rear. The front left is the short, the right front is the longest, the rear are same length.
i don't rebuid them...not worth my time...but that's me.

gcbennet

My boots were all torn to crap so I pulled mine apart and thoroughly cleaned in my parts washer. Upon thorough inspection I found they were still good to go with no corrosion or visible wear. So I spent all of about $15 on a set of new boots per side. It's time consuming but not difficult. Definitely cost effective though.

KansasBobcat

I tried to get my half shafts rebuilt at a local axle shop but once I said HMMWV, they did not want to mess with them! You could still check as all the parts are available.

GMVguy

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand the part numbers for the compatible A2 halfshafts are:
RCSK17028-1 (Rear)
RCSK17028-2 (Right Front)
RCSK17028-3 (Left Front)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand the part numbers for the compatible A2 halfshafts are:
RCSK17028-1 (Rear)
RCSK17028-2 (Right Front)
RCSK17028-3 (Left Front)
I can't verify the front without looking in the TM, but that rear axle number is correct. I bought a NOS rear axle off ebay and got boots and bands to rebuild the one I am pulling.

dodgemain

Hi,
Ended up buying a couple NOS halfshafts off eBay. I am going to start installing them tomorrow. Read through the TM manual and seems pretty straight forward. Anything I should watchout for? Also, how do you safely jack up a HMMWV? What is the correct jackstand placement?
Thanks

KansasBobcat

I used new bolts and Nordlock washers on flange with Loctite. Also when installing fastener on shaft end in geared hub DO NOT drop the lock washer in the hub. It was a chore to get it out! Good luck.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
FOr anyone doing this..fyi, the military does not use nord locks, they are used on the civ trucks. No harm no foul.
also, the bolts are metric...not inch. The head is not what a normal American metric head is..so you have to order them from a vendor,who sells them for a Hummer H1.
factory AMG bolts have a pre-applied thead locker on them....on the end bolts, use #8 grade bolts and lock washer as well as locktite. A broken lock washer will destroy the bearing basket....will work fine till you remove the upper spit hear and all the roller bearing fall all over the place.

KansasBobcat

FOr anyone doing this..fyi, the military does not use nord locks, they are used on the civ trucks. No harm no foul.
also, the bolts are metric...not inch. The head is not what a normal American metric head is..so you have to order them from a vendor,who sells them for a Hummer H1.
factory AMG bolts have a pre-applied thead locker on them....on the end bolts, use #8 grade bolts and lock washer as well as locktite. A broken lock washer will destroy the bearing basket....will work fine till you remove the upper spit hear and all the roller bearing fall all over the place.
Thank you for this information. I learned the hard way about the bolt heads. Ended up getting them from AMG dealer who said I needed to upgrade to Nordlocks. Getting the lock washer out of the hub was stressfull!

Predator42

How often should the half shaft boots fail? I know there are 8 of them, I am on my second replacement within 3 months. My guess is it is just because all of them are probably several years old and have sat for most of that time. I am replacing them as they fail. The lower boots nearest the wheels seem to fail first. All of mine must have been pretty old. I would be willing to bet some of you can change these things out in 15 minutes or less where it takes me a few hours.

gcbennet

It's a time consuming and messy job at the best of times. I've done both of my rear shafts and each one took me well over an hour or so each. Once you figure out how to pull them apart it gets easier, but they should be torn down and cleaned thoroughly regardless in order to check for any wear, damage, and/or corrosion, and to re-apply lots of fresh grease.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks