• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV Half Shafts

How often should the half shaft boots fail? I know there are 8 of them, I am on my second replacement within 3 months. My guess is it is just because all of them are probably several years old and have sat for most of that time. I am replacing them as they fail. The lower boots nearest the wheels seem to fail first. All of mine must have been pretty old. I would be willing to bet some of you can change these things out in 15 minutes or less where it takes me a few hours.
Last night I finished a rear axle replacement and rebooted the one that I removed. Even with a lift and everything coming apart pretty easy, I had almost 4 hours into the replacement and rebooting. My left rear axle had the outer boot torn on arrival.

KansasBobcat

If you are doing the half shafts by yourself(no soldier B) it is easier if you fabricate a a fixture/tool to keep the spindle from turning when you are torqueing the half shaft bolts. I used AL bar about 24" long and 1/2X2. Just drill 2 holes on one end spaced to go over the spindle bolts. The other end rests on the floor to prevent the spindle from turning. I'm sure others have their way of doing this but this worked for me.

KansasBobcat

How often should the half shaft boots fail? I know there are 8 of them, I am on my second replacement within 3 months. My guess is it is just because all of them are probably several years old and have sat for most of that time. I am replacing them as they fail. The lower boots nearest the wheels seem to fail first. All of mine must have been pretty old. I would be willing to bet some of you can change these things out in 15 minutes or less where it takes me a few hours.
My H1 is over 20 years old and only one boot has failed and that was when the dealer was working on the ac. The H1 has 16,000 miles on it and has always been garaged until this year. Hope I didn't just jinx my remaining boots!

KansasBobcat

Why not just use the parking brake?
Good point. Started on the front with brake set and in neutral. Front spindles turned so made the fixture. As I said there would be other solutions. This were the first half shafts I have done. I am still learning. Have used the same tool when torqueing spindle nuts on M151A2 and was helpful.

DatGuyC

Ah I get it now, the last half shafts I did were rear ones so I forgot about the front haha. I just use a 3ft prybar and lay it between the spindle studs with the end resting on the ground. Basically the same thing yours does but no need to fabricate something special, I'm lazy :)

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand the part numbers for the compatible A2 halfshafts are:
RCSK17028-1 (Rear)
RCSK17028-2 (Right Front)
RCSK17028-3 (Left Front)
A2 shafts won't work on A1's
Numbers above are A2 12k for vented rotors.
A1's are : 12342974-1.....rears
12342974-2..................R/F
12342974-3..................L/F

GMVguy

A2 shafts won't work on A1's
Numbers above are A2 12k for vented rotors.
A1's are : 12342974-1.....rears
12342974-2..................R/F
12342974-3..................L/F
What prevents A2 halfshafts from working on an A1 vehicle? Can they be adapted to work, as an upgrade?

TedG

If you go to 12.1 (A2) half shafts, you will also need to modify/change your brake caliber brackets or they will rub. Also, there are 2 different types of A2 halfshafts...Stick to 10.3's (A1) and get rid of the 7.7 (A.0).

teteacher101

If you go to 12.1 (A2) half shafts, you will also need to modify/change your brake caliber brackets or they will rub. Also, there are 2 different types of A2 halfshafts...Stick to 10.3's (A1) and get rid of the 7.7 (A.0).
Ok just so I understand what I need for my 1989 HMMWV then. It has what appears to be the stock cv axles or the A0, 7700# version. From my understanding the replacement one, bolt in, no modifications neccassary, etc., is the 10k version. Is that correct?

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok just so I understand what I need for my 1989 HMMWV then. It has what appears to be the stock cv axles or the A0, 7700# version. From my understanding the replacement one, bolt in, no modifications neccassary, etc., is the 10k version. Is that correct?
Correct

ClarkeF

You might check your half shaft fasteners and see if you still have the old bolts with split washers or have been upgraded to the 15mm bolt heads with Nordlocks. Use high-temp loctite Red 272 (not the usual 271) on the threads. Torque to 57-58 lb-ft.

teteacher101

You might check your half shaft fasteners and see if you still have the old bolts with split washers or have been upgraded to the 15mm bolt heads with Nordlocks. Use high-temp loctite Red 272 (not the usual 271) on the threads. Torque to 57-58 lb-ft.
Ok thanks

kapkanimd

So I tried installing a new boot on my front left half shaft and decided I was not comfortable rebuilding it myself. I keep seeing mention of different types of shafts, but how do I know which one to buy as a replacement or how to tell the difference. I see plenty for sale on auction site, but dont feel comfortable just buying one at random. Mine is an 89 but went through the rebuild in 2002. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

teteacher101

So I tried installing a new boot on my front left half shaft and decided I was not comfortable rebuilding it myself. I keep seeing mention of different types of shafts, but how do I know which one to buy as a replacement or how to tell the difference. I see plenty for sale on auction site, but dont feel comfortable just buying one at random. Mine is an 89 but went through the rebuild in 2002. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
This is the 10k one I bought for my left front. Shipping was fast, and it fits good. Seems to be well built so far. I had another shaft that I had tears in the boots so I used Dorman Uni-Fit boot kits on that one. They seem to fit fine for what they are, just a little more labor involved obviously.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HUMVEE-LEFT...ash=item3ac95ab942:g:TW8AAOSw-7RVEY2b&vxp=mtr

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks