• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GOV Planet Tax issues

Jericho

Loo see anna charges its tax on registration, If any of you are still active duty and not a loo see anna resident(maintain your home of recored some where else, ) you are exempt from LA tax under the Soilders and Sailors act , name changed on the latest rewrite, I sued LA in 1987 and forced them to refund more than 6 million dollars in collected taxes on vehicles owned by active duty servicemen , its still on the books needless to say , I don't go back very often.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After 6 months of fighting with GovPlanet I finally had someone call regarding my tax issue. What I got was a big FU. According to them it doesn't matter where you register the vehicle if you don't PAY someone else to pick the vehicle up they're going to stick you with the sales tax of where it was sold. At this point I'm filing a complaint with the TX Attorney General and the TX Tax Commissioner to make sure that at least TX gets reimbursed for taxes paid for a motor vehicle in another state. I can also unequivocally state that the 2 purchases I've made from GP will be the last ones I ever make (and I'm sure they're just heart broken over that). I recommend anyone considering buying something for this hobby buy from a private individual. Funny that I bought half a dozen vehicles from GL in other states and NEVER had this problem before.

Gunzy

I have decided that GPs collection of sales tax at location of vehicle and not at destination is a scam. If I live in Utah, buy a truck in Ohio, charge me Utah sales tax, NOT Ohio. Yep, I say scam......

tobyS

Just bought a truck from GSA Auction and there was NO buyer premium or collection of tax. My state will collect tax when I apply for title.

I encourage you to write a complaint to your representatives about the "voluntary" collection of tax that never makes it back to your home state. They don't have to make a policy to collect sales tax on out of state purchases...but have chosen to.

shovelheadi

Bingo. Their intent is to make sure they pay the taxes. It is your decision to make it streetable. They will refund the taxes , you just have to be willing to deal with their process. Sucks as is, but you get to drive green or tan stuff.

Jakob1944

Fixin to.......Bought a M998a1 which sits at Ft Riley, Ks.......paid Kansas $715 in state and $357 in county......and I reside in Copperas Cove, Texas for the last 40 years after Army Retirement......

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bingo. Their intent is to make sure they pay the taxes. It is your decision to make it streetable. They will refund the taxes , you just have to be willing to deal with their process. Sucks as is, but you get to drive green or tan stuff.
Actually they WON'T refund the taxes unless you PAY someone else to recover the vehicle for you. I just spent 6 months going through this crap over $200. It would have cost me almost 10x that amount to have a shipping company recover my vehicle. So now, if I buy something in the future, I'll use that extra money I'd have to pay someone else and just buy retail from someone that has already gone through the hassle of getting a title and making sure the vehicle is drivable versus playing the GP roulette game.

tobyS

Actually they WON'T refund the taxes unless you PAY someone else to recover the vehicle for you. I just spent 6 months going through this crap over $200. It would have cost me almost 10x that amount to have a shipping company recover my vehicle. So now, if I buy something in the future, I'll use that extra money I'd have to pay someone else and just buy retail from someone that has already gone through the hassle of getting a title and making sure the vehicle is drivable versus playing the GP roulette game.
I've bought, titled and repaired several. Retail prices at GP prevent that now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks