• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GOV Planet Tax issues

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's what I was told when I called last week - send an email to SALESTAX@IRONPLANET.com with your item number in the subject line and attach proof you registered your vehicle in your home state (a copy of the registration or the receipt showing the VIN number of the vehicle is best) then sit back and wait 2 months or more (they didn't say that just the time frame I've heard from other people). They should return the difference between the state they sold the item in and your state for example I bought my truck in LA which charges 5% state tax and 4% county tax or 9% total and TX charges 6.5% so I should be getting 2.5% back. Since OR has zero sales tax you should get all of it back.

tobyS

Sales taxes are collected in the state the item is sold. I've dealt with this same issue on other vehicles I've purchased out of state from dealers. There's no kickback, if anything it's a headache for all parties involved.

BTW, when you buy something online or out of state (talking general stuff, not just vehicles), you do know you're liable for sales tax right? Everyone is supposed to report it on their taxes, but never do. Well, take a look at more and more of your online purchases, you're getting charged taxes on them now more and more.
I understand that, but it requires a reciprocal agreement (correction add "I think" because state laws may be different) and the tax collected is turned over to the state where you reside. That agreement should be readily available but I have not seen any. I have seen nothing that says that is being done...my money just leaves my state, leaving me wondering who is benefiting from receiving it. Perhaps you missed it, but I did give an exemption certificate and they still refuse to stop collecting it. I gave up arguing and just consider it part of my cost.

Last edited:

2deuce

Washington is different from other states in when they require sales tax to be paid. In Utah for instance, that state requires you to pay the sales tax if you make a presence in their state. If you do not make a presence, in other words...not set foot in their state, and have it shipped, you do not owe the tax. GovPlanet appears to lump all the states into one policy, so I'm required to ship it or pay the tax in Washington, like Utah. In Washington, you can pick up your items as long as you take them out of state. It specifically says this and I sent GovPlanet the link and pictures of the pages along with a picture of my drivers license. Washington law also states that if there is fraud, the seller is not responsible unless they are a party to the fraud. Washington also states that once the tax is paid they do not issue refunds so you could end up paying sales tax twice if you live in a state that wants to charge you again when you get home. Oregon does not charge sales tax, but taxes here are some of the highest in the nation, Oregon is no tax haven.
I was told by GovPlanet their policy is to charge the tax and only refund it if I came up with a bill of lading showing I had it transported, or I was a reseller. They said they would look into it and contact me, but have not. They also said, giving any tax back was a courtesy as a seller is not required to refund sales tax.
I bought a HMMWV from GovPlanet in California in the same auction and I thought a trailer would be a nice addition. I paid the sales tax to California and expect to get it back when I show a bill of lading that proves I had it transported. That is what I was told by GovPlanet and I can accept that, because I know California is different than Washington's sales tax laws.

Last edited:

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I'm back from our family camping trip and I don't see any changes in my situation. I did get a couple of emails from GovPlanet telling me to contact them about my non-payment, which I will do on Monday. They did state in the email to send them sales tax exemption documentation, but being in Oregon there is no sales tax exemption documentation as there is no sales tax. There is no re-seller classification as there is no sales tax. Anything to do with sales tax does not exist, because sales tax does not exist. When this becomes known by whoever you talk to at GovPlanet, then you hear about company policy which is to collect the tax, even if you do not owe it. Suprman says, "GP does not charge tax, they simply collect it". From my standpoint there is no difference. Washington law specifically states I do not owe tax, only GovPlanet finds it easier to charge it as part of doing business with them. I'm done pulling my hair out over this, so when I do reach them on Monday, and if they won't change their sales tax policy to conform to the law, I will tell them again to cancel my sale. The 1st time they said they could not do that but now maybe they will.
I'd send them this: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=82.08.0273 and a copy of my driver's license.

But, you should also read 4(a)
(4)(a) Nothing in this section requires the vendor to make tax exempt retail sales to nonresidents. A vendor may choose to make sales to nonresidents, collect the sales tax, and remit the amount of sales tax collected to the state as otherwise provided by law. ...
So it's an optional perk. GP may choose to not give a *** and not honor the perk. Ironically, the state of WA does honor it for their own surplus auctions.

2deuce

Yes rhury, I did send them that link and screen pictures of the site and a copy of my drivers license from the start, but it is their policy to charge the tax. It is obvious to me that they don't care and they said that multiple times. GovPlanet told me they can charge me the tax if they want to, and don't have to give anything back with a bill of lading either, it is a courtesy that they do what they do, they told me that. Like you said it is a option. That attitude has cost them my business and I know I'm not the only one. I'm a member of the Military Vehicle Collectors Club of Oregon so I know other buyers that GovPlanet has lost. I don't want to say or infer the club has taken any stance and it has not, but I know people that have. When you lose bidders prices go down. I'm sure their bidding pool of customers grows every day and I was quickly replaced, but their pool of bidding customers isn't as big as it could be either.
I did talk to GovPlanet, I did call them in response to their email and while they were polite, as expected, GovPlanet doesn't care in the least that they lost my business. I didn't expect any concern whatsoever either and if you ever talk to this company, it won't take you long to figure that out.

2deuce

In my last sentence, I said it won't take you long to figure out the quality of customer care you will receive.... When you have a problem, or concern, that is legitimate, and can be corrected, a good company is one you can work with and will try to work with you. If a solution is not possible they then should have a real reason, not hide behind blind policy. What I have found is this company's policies are rigid, take it or leave it. That attitude takes customer care out of the equation. When you call GovPlanet's customer care line, the people you talk to have no ability or alternative, but to read you the rules, and lead you on, knowing there is no solution. Probably a frustrating job. My warning is be careful before you bid, they are not bidder friendly.
When my HMMWV clears the EUC process, I will post back here how that goes. If anyone has any advice what to look for and make things go smoother I would be appreciative. I'm afraid that their rigid policies may again come into play. I know you have 8 days to find a reasonably priced transporter and schedule a pickup or start incurring storage fees of $25 a day(pictures were taken of my truck on a dry lake bed, probably capable of parking every HMMWV ever built). Not knowing when your EUC gets approved makes scheduling impossible as I see it right now. I don't know where the HMMWV is located other than the city in California. They would not tell me where my trailer was located until I paid for it. I wonder if I can find out where my truck is located before the EUC clears. I will post how this goes for me, and let you know what to expect.
Thanks

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The site managers are usually good with pickup scheduling I have gone past the date several times and have never been charged storage. As a business owner I understand their tax policy. I also understand your frustration but if I was in their position I would collect the tax too.

2deuce

http://www.govplanet.com/jsp/s/item/737600?h=4-22/7-22

This is a picture of the HMMWV I bought. I wanted a cheap one with the 6.5. Miles were not that important to me, because speedos can be swapped and the engine is updated anyway. I haven't found the exact location yet... other than Yermo, CA. So far after fees and taxes it came to $7479.00. I'm not complaining about the cost because that is easy to figure out before you bid, depending on location and of course your highest bid amount. Wish me luck!
Thanks

2deuce

Suprman, GovLiq, never charged me tax. The law is straight forward. If you don't understand the law, maybe I could understand that, but then I sent them the law, understanding was not the issue. Charging the tax is customer disregard. If you sell something on ebay, do you charge the sales tax to anyone and everyone, no matter what state you send it to?

NV555

2Decue,

The Yermo GOV Planet location is right off the I-15 Freeway in Yermo. Very easy to find. It is not on a base. It is a storage yard right next to the freeway. Very nice employee's at that location.

There might be other options in the area, Ft Irwin or USMC Base Yermo. I have noticed in the past that (Barstow) has a different mileage from my location than (Yermo) so I'm guessing (Barstow) is Fort Irwin and is on Base. Most of the HMMWV's are out of Yermo.

Last edited:

jerry v

2centsI purchased from gp ,paid taxes,when arrived at my local dmv, ( Michigan ) I submitted the tax paperwork and all was well.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's what I was told when I called last week - send an email to SALESTAX@IRONPLANET.com with your item number in the subject line and attach proof you registered your vehicle in your home state (a copy of the registration or the receipt showing the VIN number of the vehicle is best) then sit back and wait 2 months or more (they didn't say that just the time frame I've heard from other people). They should return the difference between the state they sold the item in and your state for example I bought my truck in LA which charges 5% state tax and 4% county tax or 9% total and TX charges 6.5% so I should be getting 2.5% back. Since OR has zero sales tax you should get all of it back.
Any word if your refund has been processed?
I just had La insist I had to pay them directly and would not accept the invoice and tax GP made me pay directly. They told me I had to get a refund from GP. I sent an email and waiting for a reply. Kind of peed I had to front $700 tax bill twice,

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I never heard back from jwade on my tax issue, but I emailed that address mentioned. I got an auto reply about it so far. I'm not going to loose sleep over my issue, it was less than $50. So however long it takes is ok.

For those who have had a refund, how is that handled? A refund to the card/payment method used, or a check mailed to you?

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Been there, done that. Talk directly to Oscar from their tax department, he handles all these requests. I know the GP reps wont transfer you to him. PM sent w/ info.
Oscar no longer works there.
I was told a refund would process within 15 days by check. When I objected and wanted a wire back, I was told to submit my info but no guarantees.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any word if your refund has been processed?
I just had La insist I had to pay them directly and would not accept the invoice and tax GP made me pay directly. They told me I had to get a refund from GP. I sent an email and waiting for a reply. Kind of peed I had to front $700 tax bill twice,
Nothing to date. I'll give it 30 days and then start climbing the ladder until I get someone that can actually do something instead of just smiling and nodding.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I started sending emails and PMs. What I got was a revised invoice where they showed charging me the tax, refunding the tax, then charging the tax again. So basically diddly squat. I think the next step is going to have to be the state Tax Commissioner.

On a separate note, anyone have luck getting the Diesel Tax refunded on a trailer purchase?

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was told they got my wire information but failed to get it to a right person before the check was issued which I am supposed to get my $672 refund in days. I will update when I do.

Crickets on my request for refund of La Penalty fees and interest. Will pursue that once I get the check.

I don't want to start poop but here in La there are serious criminal penalties for collecting taxes and not forwarding/reporting to State and Parish (county) government in a timely basis. Collecting tax on behalf of these folks and not getting it to them is poking a big black bear. Once the money is collected on their behalf it belongs to them not GP.......

Remember I live in a Banana Republic and things are different here :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks