• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Making a 4x4 from a 6x6 ?

1951M1078

How hard would it be to make a M1088 MTV 6x6 into a 4x4 ?

I keep seeing them going for lower $ or not being bid on at all.

I have taken a tractor from 2x4 to 2x2 on my Semi/RV conversion.
Know it would be some work but maybe it could be done ?

Randy

Yes I know,"just get a M1078".

1951M1078

Oh,THANK'S !LOL

Maybe I need to rethink my 4x4 RV and open it up to a 6x6 ? Need to go and look at how long they are.

coachgeo

GO FOR IT and send me what you remove. I'll find someway to get rid of the unwanted extra axle and suspension pieces. Will probably store them under my 1078 till I find the most ecological way to properly dispose of the stuff.

How hard would it be to make a M1088 MTV 6x6 into a 4x4 ?

I keep seeing them going for lower $ or not being bid on at all.

I have taken a tractor from 2x4 to 2x2 on my Semi/RV conversion.
Know it would be some work but maybe it could be done ?

Randy

Yes I know,"just get a M1078".

scottmandu

Front and rear axles are the same from 4X4 to 6X6. One issue that you may consider is the frame rails are made of heat treated steel, so cutting/welding etc could very well weaken it.

I don't think you will end up any cheaper than buying a 4X4..

1951M1078

As I start looking at this idea I think I would use the holes that are their and just do some plating. Been thinking about a air bag rear ?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The center axle has a offset geared input and output. I don't see any point in bobbing a 6x6 truck when the 4x4 version is widely available. There is a lot more air brake stuff going on in the lmtv compared to the m939 trucks. The 4x4 trucks have pretty clear lower frame rails of you wanted to take off the bed and the spacers under it. On the 6x6 the trans cooler is under the bed and the rear shock mounts come up past the bed spacers.

scottmandu

Where did you get this information? Front is the same. Rear not so much.

The rear as in back axle, not the intermediate axle. The intermediate axle is unique to the MTV.

From http://www.allisons.org/ll/4/Stewart-S/FMTV/

"Interchangeability of components was an important design objective to ease servicing and reduce costs. For example, the 4×4 and 6×6 trucks share front and rear axles, transmission and Caterpillar engine (225hp version in the 4×4 and 290hp version, courtesy of higher turbo boost, in the 6×6)."

Also most of the rear axle part numbers are the same..

1951M1078

Still thinking about this. Other than the 5th wheel stuff is their anything ? When I did my Semi/RV I just pluged the 5th whell lines.

Been looking a photos of rear deck and see what is a cooler. Ideas what it is cooling ? Rear axle's ?

Still trying to find TM,s on this truck. Man it was used for alot of job's.

Oh, and I would keep the 6 x 6.

M1083 photo.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks