• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Homemade Deuce tow bar system.

rustystud

019.jpg020.jpg023.jpg024.jpg022.jpg025.jpg026.jpg027.jpg029.jpg030.jpg

I don't know if this is the right place to post this but I'll give it a try here.
Someone recently asked me if I towed a regular truck with my deuce and how did I do it. I said yes, and here is what I used. The first couple of pictures show the original tow bar I made to bring home my first deuce. It is made from "Triple X" pipe and about 7 feet long. The ends go to the bumper mounts of the deuce. The other pictures show the brackets I made up to use along with the tow bar to bring home other trucks and even another deuce ( the mounts where missing) . They are made from 1" thick by 2" wide by 12" long steel flat bar. The "J" bolts are from 3/4" stainless steel round bar I made up and bent. The different shapes are for different types of bumpers. This set-up can be used with the military tow bar system to tow almost any truck with a pretty flat front bumper. I used it to tow a Chevy with the rounded bulge front bumper and it worked fine.
Hope this helps "AZK" .

dmetalmiki

Great pictures, and very capable and useful adapters you have fabricated.
(and...(looking at the "store")). I'll have one of those..one of those..one of those.....and...

74M35A2

I was shopping it too. I'm like, "Hey, I haven't seen a carb air filter housing like that in decades! Plus, there is enough cool stuff there to start building something fun. We have a steering wheel, tires, a trans, belts, metal gas cans, .....".

deshet

I am looking to do similar. Will you sell these kits?

I want to move civilian trucks F350-F450 and mini buses with a medium military Tow bar
I thought about the axles clamps but not sure if they are right or not.
My average Tow is 200-400 miles.
Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks,

rustystud

I am looking to do similar. Will you sell these kits?

I want to move civilian trucks F350-F450 and mini buses with a medium military Tow bar
I thought about the axles clamps but not sure if they are right or not.
My average Tow is 200-400 miles.
Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks,
It would be really easy to adapt the military medium tow-bar to tow any truck. Just fabricate some brackets like I did with the holes for the pins and your golden. Also if you have the military axle clamp it will also attach to straight axles. You just need to be careful. On front axles that have more rounded edges you can have a piece of 1/2" flat bar that will go between the axle and the clamp. Once the clamp is tightened down, it won't move.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rusty,
Thanks for linking this thread and resurrecting it.
I like the homemade tow bar, but have already acquired both a Medium Tow Bar and a HEAVY Tow Bar too. I doubt I'll ever have a real need for the HEAVY one, but I seem to never be able to get rid of ANY "tools".

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Rusty. As usual you have some good ideas. Your mounts for the S-250 shelter to the M-105 trailer are great.

rustystud

Rusty,
Thanks for linking this thread and resurrecting it.
I like the homemade tow bar, but have already acquired both a Medium Tow Bar and a HEAVY Tow Bar too. I doubt I'll ever have a real need for the HEAVY one, but I seem to never be able to get rid of ANY "tools".
You do know the moment you decide to get rid of a tool you will need it the next day ! That is Murphy's Law ! And as we all know, "The Law is the Law" !!! :grin:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks