Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: letssleds M-135 Project

MVPA
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,920 Times in 1,575 Posts

I gave up 2 of my 3 stooge's to be part of this project...whatcha gonna call the project? Not sure if I mentioned it but 2 cabs came in a 3 truck deal and they were named, Larry, Curly and More. There wasn't much left of Larry, the silver one. Looked like Larry was a drinker, was all smashed up, so he's going to a better place. Curly had the frame farmer extended, rear pto added and likely had a manure spreader mounted on the back. Curly will certainly smell better for the remainder of its cab life. More, the CDN M211 needed more work, so instead of Moe, it became More. Your 3rd cab came from a 5 truck deal and it was a parts truck. We called it a 'parts truck'.

The little lady won't have any trouble driving it. Once she gets up in the air seat and finds out it's easier to see all the little cars around her, she won't get back in the car. I'm more worried about the kids when they turn 16..."Dad, can I take the truck over to the school to pick up 7 friends".....haaaaaa good luck saying no so we better get them on my M135 at the farm for training.

Stay off the net and get er' done.

Sergeant
    Thanks

Well have the frame laid out and squared up. Out 1/32" over 26', I think that is close enough. Mock layup of of the fenders and cowl on the frame almost looking like a truck

I think I am going to lower the doors and door frame 2.5". That will allow me to cut off the bottom inch of steel from the door frames. Out of all my doors, the bottom inch is light to severely rusted, but the remainder of steel is solid. Plus this will allow me to cover the tube ends of the double walled floor. Talk about army tough......seems like a million spot welds on the door frames! You can see the modified door frame and the original door frame.

IMG_2696.jpgIMG_2697.jpgIMG_2698.jpgIMG_2699.jpgIMG_2700.jpgIMG_2701.jpg

Pic #1 - Squaring up the frame
    Pic #2,3 - mocking up doors, grill, cowl and fenders.
    Pic #4,5 - looking down the frame
    Pic #6 - removing door frame gussets.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to letssled For This Useful Post:

Another Ahab (06-27-2016)

Sergeant
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by m1010plowboy View Post
    I gave up 2 of my 3 stooge's to be part of this project...whatcha gonna call the project?
    Hmmm, I think Operation plowshare would be very fitting......kinda what I am doing although much less boom.....

I'm more worried about the kids when they turn 16..."Dad, can I take the truck over to the school to pick up 7 friends".....haaaaaa good luck saying no so we better get them on my M135 at the farm for training.
    My kids promised never to grow up.....

The little lady won't have any trouble driving it. Once she gets up in the air seat and finds out it's easier to see all the little cars around her, she won't get back in the car
    On second thought, I am going to leave it Manual steering and hand crank to start.....

5. The Following User Says Thank You to letssled For This Useful Post:

m1010plowboy (06-25-2016)

Punk and the Godfather rchalmers3's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow, that's gonna be a awesome space in that stretch cab! I've never scratch built a frame but.....

Why would you not first fit the drive train and at least the front suspension before hacking the body? That way your cab could be trimmed and fitted as necessary.

It would be a drag to fit the cab first then find it interferes with the drive train or steering.

my unsolicited .02

Rick

Sergeant
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rchalmers3 View Post
    Wow, that's gonna be a awesome space in that stretch cab! I've never scratch built a frame but.....

Why would you not first fit the drive train and at least the front suspension before hacking the body? That way your cab could be trimmed and fitted as necessary.

It would be a drag to fit the cab first then find it interferes with the drive train or steering.

my unsolicited .02

Rick
    Those are all very good points and I appreciate your questions! I am going to modernize the suspension and stretch the frame roughly 2' over stock. I am only working on the parts that will essentially be independent of each other. The cab is a fixed unit, so I can complete the roll cage and attach body panels without interfering with anything. Even with the drive train in, it won't matter per se, how far back or forward the cab is. The main frame rails are 2' longer to allow for some growth if needed.

The front axles, front fenders and grill are all going to retain the stock locations. The truck will "grow" from these points. Once my engine, tranny and transfer case get here and placed in the frame I can attach the cab mounts and fit the cab as it will be a large "cage" covered by the body panels and can be moved as one solid unit. I have a complete cab that I am using to insure I get it right the first time (or pray I get it right, lol), I have only hacked into 2 cabs so far. Regardless, I can't put the 2x4 rec tube frame in unless i cut the gussets out as they will not have any smooth surface to attach to.

MVPA
    Thanks

I did my research, Project "Plowshare" was the use of nuclear explosions for peaceful purposes, like gardening, building lakes, moving small mountains. I don't need to ask what you're using for heat!

Thought I had the perfect fender for you today. It was already painted yellow, to match the nuclear colour. There's some rot at the bottom so you can compare it with a few others that are now growing at the G749 farm. I headed up north where the genetic G749 plantation is and harvested what I could. The hood will come off the Cold Lake truck and I'm trying to make that happen Sunday.

P6240141.jpgP6240140.jpgP6240139.jpg

We'll need to coordinate when you come in. I'll be working in Nisku so I can either leave the parts at the farm or you can meet me on airport road and 9th depending on when you pull in.

I needed a piece of project Plowshare to knock the weeds and grass down up north....a little before and after.

20160623_160800.jpg20160623_160436.jpg

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to m1010plowboy For This Useful Post:

Another Ahab (07-04-2016), letssled (06-25-2016)

MVPA
    Thanks

We had some help today and Chris rolled into the G749 farm with the hood off the Cold Lake warrior. It's the best one and the only one that doesn't have the custom crack across the middle. Everything is staged at the lower sea-cans so loading should be easy. There's a lime green and yellow fender to choose from. Both are pretty good but the yellow one looks more nuclear next to the orange hood.

20160626_165719.jpg20160626_165653.jpg20160626_165632.jpg

I had to cut 3' of grass to get at the northern trucks and I think we sent you the best hood out of the entire collection. We'll need to find a welder as well as a good block and hammer man for the next truck.

20160623_165917.jpg20160623_161052.jpg

If you have the kids with you when you hit the farm take them for a walk towards the upper sea-can. We grow em' big at the G749 farm and I left this soccer ball size puff-ball in the middle of runway 27/09, on the way to the sand-pile. It's been real wet out there so we ordered up some dry weather to dry up the trail to the bottom. Get er' done.

20160626_174514.jpg20160626_174506.jpg

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to m1010plowboy For This Useful Post:

Another Ahab (06-27-2016), letssled (06-29-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,144 Times in 3,462 Posts

Letssled that is quite the project your building ! Just remember that slow and steady gets the job done. It also prevents burn-out !

13. The Following User Says Thank You to rustystud For This Useful Post:

letssled (06-29-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,174 Times in 5,963 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rustystud View Post
    Letssled that is quite the project your building ! Just remember that slow and steady gets the job done. It also prevents burn-out !
    You bet, and we're totally behind you on the build-out. Go, Brother; you can do this.
    M35A2 w/Winch SOLD

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Another Ahab For This Useful Post:

letssled (06-29-2016)

Thanks

How's things progressing? Some of us are drooling in anticipation of updates and pictures.
    Who's Disneyland plan is this?!??!! OH Ya It's mine...

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Section8 For This Useful Post:

Another Ahab (07-04-2016)

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast