• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Crane info

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gimp, Grove manufactures the crane, the early M977 crane was considered light duty, later models were equipped with Hiab 8108/2 materials handling crane, they are [SUP][/SUP]pretty stout.
JC

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Attachments

tobyS

I have a couple of questions to ask the experts here. I have a winch that I thought was from and LMTV crane and was corrected, it is a Grove Crane, probably an M977 that was on the early HEMTT's. To me, it appears they changed the outriggers, but both the LMTV and HEMTT had a nearly identical crane and winch.

From what I read, the Grove winch is 5,000# capacity. Sure that is light when on a HEMTT, but will work fine on a smaller crane on my deuce....if I can make it work correctly. Some things about it are just not obvious to me, or someone wanting to put one into service. I read that these were special for the military, so there are no Grone TM's that can be gotten. If you have the military, and it goes into more detail than the operation, into the schematics....I would be extremely happy to have a link.

Both trucks have a 3,000 lb max, 2,500# operating hydraulic system. That would be a pressure compensated, piston (or vane) type pump. I read the HEMTT also has a 195# system (control) but I don't know about LMTV's. Anyway....I'm trying to figure the control of this winch out, so I can use it.

I took the winch and brake unit apart to understand it's functions, not knowing what to expect. While in there I replaced all the o-rings. I have a thread on that but I need some help understanding it's operation. The wet clutch has ports into a piston area on the brake unit and into the frictions. Springs hold the frictions and steels tight. One port makes the pressure on the clutches tighter, one acts against the springs on the piston, releasing it and one is into the wet clutch pack. Pressure in that area would also seem to release the wet clutch.

There is a one way clutch between the main shaft, powered by the hydraulic motor. In forward (winch in) it locks, preventing the release of cable and reverse (winch out), the brake must release and the motor turn the opposite direction. Thus the winch is really only braking in the winch-in or stopped, keeping it from unspooling with a load and the hydraulic motor can be winch-in without any actuation of the brake at all. But to winch out, the brake must be released.

Please help confirm the lines that operate the brake and which motor, that on mine has (Parker), but no numbers I can find. I think it is a pilot operated check on the motor, where it locks one port until pilot pressure is applied. Logic would dictate that it releases (applies pilot pressure) when the valve shifts to winch out direction.

There is a 1/1 ratio and 10/1 ratio pilot line model of the control I believe I have. I can't find any numbers, just the name Parker.

Any information that you can give me to rig this thing up on a lighter crane would be appreciated.

I do have a pressure compensated piston pump, so have the right pumping system for it.

Thanks

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What you got (posted here...) is called crane hoist assembly and looks almost identical to what is shown in the TM 9-2320-279-24P, on Fig.335 (M977 SERIES, 8 x 8 HEAVY EXPANDED MOBILITY TACTICAL TRUCKS (HEMTT).
The following pages cover every single part of that hoist.

Hydraulic schematics are all in the TM 9-2320-279-34-3, starting on page 807.

The HEMTT books can be found here...

tobyS

Thanks G....Page 811 seems to have the schematic. I had searched until the pages were all blending together and in some old posts, the links no longer work. It helps a lot.

There are some surprises...no pilot operation of the brake, it's full line pressure. What I thought was a pilot line in the motor valve is also the release line (center port on the brake) and the line where the clutch is, goes to tank. What I still don't understand is the hookup of the motor drain going into the service side of the brake...what does that do? Usually those drain lines go up and then down, so they maintain the motor or ?? full of fluid, don't let it all drain out....and then go back to tank.

Once it's hookup is a bit clearer, this appears to be a fine winch and simpler than first thought.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks