• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My MEP-803a experience

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Using individual conductors in a conduit is my preferred method where practical. You can't run individual conductors outside of a conduit or box. You would need to run conduit all the way to your termination box or set a junction box and transition from individual conductors to a cable that doesn't require conduit (ROMEX, UF).

UF can be buried without a conduit if you go deep enough (usually 24" to the top of the wire). You would only need conduit where it comes up above the ground. With UF you can continue with the cable exposed once you transition to the structure. UF is NOT fun to put in conduit. WAY not fun. Getting it over a few feet to conduit to get up above the ground sin't hard.

Using colored tape to mark load carrying phases is A-OK. Marking a black wire as a neutral is NOT OK. The neutral MUST be white or grey. Marking a black or white wire as ground is also NOT OK. The ground must be either uninsulated, green, or a solid jacket color with a continuous green stripes down its length. This rule changes when the wires are #4 or larger but for #6 you can't re-purpose a load carrying wire as a ground or neutral.

Clear as mud!

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hahaha, yea. In this case you are getting a bargain. I'm an EE who is also a licensed electrician. Well, my licence hasn't been active in a long time but I have to keep up with the code since I do design work. I don't work in the field anymore.

I have to add, you need to check with the local codes in your area and your mileage may vary. :)

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter

lonesouth

• For use as THWN-2 in wet or dry locations at temperatures not to exceed 194 � Fahrenheit (90 � Celsius) or not to exceed 167 � Fahrenheit (75 � Celsius) when exposed to oil or coolant

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
  • For use as THWN-2 in wet or dry locations at temperatures not to exceed 194 � Fahrenheit (90 � Celsius) or not to exceed 167 � Fahrenheit (75 � Celsius) when exposed to oil or coolant
I saw that on the webpage. Make sure it is printed on the wire itself before you buy it. Its not a bad idea to snap a photo of the label on the side of the reel. It will have all the ratings on it. Saves trouble later.

lonesouth

spent about two hours disconnecting the two units from the trailer. All of the bolts came out very easily, far easier than I expected. Got the wires unhooked from the switch box and pulled from the front generator. Checked the fluids while I was at it, diesel is fresh, oil is fresh and full. I also found original delivery document, the army spent $50,294 for this unit.

Tomorrow, I'm building the decking this will sit on, using 4x4 and 2x6 pressure treated lumbar. Planning to put my 50 gallon fuel tank under the deck, for two reasons: 1. it will take up less space in the yard, 2. it will raise the generator up providing easier access for maintenance vs kneeling down or bending over to access stuff.

Last edited:

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
spent about two hours disconnecting the two units from the trailer. All of the bolts came out very easily, far easier than I expected. Got the wires unhooked from the switch box and pulled from the front generator. Checked the fluids while I was at it, diesel is fresh, oil is fresh and full. I also found original delivery document, the army spent $50,294 for this unit.

Tomorrow, I'm building the decking this will sit on, using 4x4 and 2x6 pressure treated lumbar. Planning to put my 50 gallon fuel tank under the deck, for two reasons: 1. it will take up less space in the yard, 2. it will raise the generator up providing easier access for maintenance vs kneeling down or bending over to access stuff.
Howdy,
I would suggest you run the unit a bunch before committing to 4x4 lumbar. You will get vibrations, and reverberation sounds which can be more than you need. Others have found by making a pad with dirt, crushed stone, and even rubber stall mats to use as a base. Look over the information about the aux fuel transfer information in the manual about height compared to the unit. There is a limit to draw height.

lonesouth

I saw in another thread referenced 6-10' rise for the Aux pump. I've got the stand built, similar to GlockFan's, but taller and using 2x6 for decking and top rails. Decided to move it around the back of the house. Pics to come.

lonesouth

Still need to wire it in to the house, drive a ground rod, move the fuel tank, and install some hurricane straps.

Dropping it on the stand was more exciting that I was wanting. Shuttle shift tractor, low on hydraulic fluid and a bad check valve in the front end loader tilt. Just a little stressful.

Generator on stand.jpg

lonesouth

after putting the generator on the pedestal, i went inside to get an idea for the noise/vibrations. I can't hear it in most of the house and can faintly hear it in the room it is immediately outside of. I'm happy with it from a mechanical aspect. There was some jostling getting it removed and placed with the tractor. Not sure if it is related, but now the voltage only reaches 212v 1:3 lugs when the potentiometer is maxed out. Also, voltage would vary 1-3v, frequency was stable at 60hz, verified with a fluke 77. I did some brief searching but did not see the answer right off.

Last edited:

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Exercise your phase selector switch behind the panel and see if anything changes. Don't change it with the generator running.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Go through and check all the connections behind the panel. Look for anything that is loose. Look to see if you cracked any of the diodes on the board on the left hand side. Think about anything that could be affected by the generator being bumped around.

lonesouth

what are the odds?

both generators are exhibiting the same behavior. I checked them both while on the trailer and they both had normal voltage range adjustment. Now, both have the same lower voltage range adjustment.

For grins, could someone measure the max resistance on the outer legs of the voltage adjustment pot? I know it is a 5kohm pot, but I'm not sure if there is a resistor in the circuit that is limiting the max resistance. I'm getting +2kohm at max on both.

Thanks

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The max resistance that I get on the voltage Pot on my 802 is 2.111 K ohms
I suspect if you remove one of the Pot's wire from the voltage regulator terminal 1 or 2 the max resistance measured at the Pot will probably be ~5 K. The internal resistance of the voltage regulator is in parallel with the Pot and would cause the resistance reading to be lower than what the Pot itself is set to. By disconnecting one of the Pot's leads from the voltage regulator will eliminate this parallel resistance path for testing the Pot.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks