• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Adding a tach?

cucvrus

CUCVRUS I can't see it in your picture? Is it where the old fuel gauge is? have you got a clearer pic?
I was only searching for pictures and that one came up. I did not even want to post it. But Whoop there it is. Happy Holidays. I will get a picture for you today after my sentence is complete.

richingalveston

steering column gauge mount

dash 5.jpgdash 4.jpgdash 3.jpg

in order to use the lmc tach, you need the gauge cluster that has the associated printed circuit board. I used the lmc tach, works great, looks factory but my gauge cluster is highly modified and everything but the lights is wired individually. the printed circuit board now just runs the lights.

I made a custom bracket to mount my boost and egt to the steering column it was easy to make out of aluminum and the welding shop only charged me $20 to weld the spots that were needed. it has been painted black and I put a strip of 1/2 thick weather strip (black) under the center of the round portion so it rest slightly on the column but does not turn when you move the gear shifter. Also no new holes, just mounts to two of the existing bezel mounting screws under the column.

rich

Chevybrit

View attachment 657882View attachment 657883View attachment 657884

"the printed circuit board now just runs the lights"

rich
Rich... Really considering doing away with all but the lights too with that circuit board ... I was looking on the wiring diagrams for the fuel gauge but couldn't find it, obviously the pink sender wire goes to the gauge but i want to identify the other two? Do you remember which ones you directly connected to it, did you make your own diagram?

Love your dash setup BTW ...

Chevybrit

I'm installing my tacho and i just wondered if anyone knew where i can splice into the brwn/wht Gen wire? does it have to be right at the alternator or can I break in right under the dash ... the wiring diagram seems to show it going through a diode?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think it should be at the diagnostic port under the dash.

A look at a TM with a schematic will show you for sure. (-20 or higher will have schematics).

richingalveston

The ste/ice connection goes to the drivers side alt. If the truck has been converted to 12 volt and the drivers alt removed then the wiring will not be connected anymore and thus you will need to go directly to the passenger side alt.

cpf240

What effect does the 'tach buffer' module that is under the dash have on the signal? I believe the wire from GEN 1 goes through this module before it goes to the diagnostic plug, but I could be mistaken...

Chevybrit

The ste/ice connection goes to the drivers side alt. If the truck has been converted to 12 volt and the drivers alt removed then the wiring will not be connected anymore and thus you will need to go directly to the passenger side alt.
Thanks Rich
I have the driver side Alt removed .. On the passenger side i have 4 Wires coming out of it

Heavy Red
orange

Brown/white
Smaller Red

Which one would it be .. Ive tried the orange and the Brown/Wht but both seem to have a 15v DC not an alternating current which i thought will send the signal ?

Alt wiring.jpg

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The tach output on the alternator is not going to be attached on that side.

You could use the brown wire from the other side to get it into the cab.

It is not the wires you posted pic of.

It is a single wire that pushes onto a round pin.

richingalveston

I can see in the picture the stud sticking out that has nothing connected to it, I believe the empty stud on your alt is where you want to connect the Dakota digital. On the drivers side there will be a single wire with push on plug that goes on that stud if the alt were on the drivers side. I believe the passenger side this stud is empty like in your pick

try that stud and see what you come up with.

I don't know if the tach buffer does anything to the signal to the Dakota digital, I ran a new wire and did not try to use what was run to diagonostic port. I have read threads where people used that wire and no mention of tack buffer

Rich

Last edited:

Chevybrit

Forgive my ignorance .. maybe its lost in translation but i'm not sure what you mean by a stud? I can't see anything in the picture that could have a wire connected to it?
Is this what you can see? Sorry its upside down .. this attachment feature has a mind of its own when orienting pictures?
Alt wiring 2.jpg

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nope, neither of those.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, I went and searched. Going outside to get an alternator out of the shed is not an option. It's literally a blizzard outside here at the moment(look at the weather channel for NY). Found this pic afterafter looking at about 5 threads from my search (alternator tachometer wire).

The tach wire is the only single wire, brown, in the middle of the other posts with multiple wires on it and the big red wire.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks