• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your trailer today.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went back and replaced the main draw bar pin with something easier to swap back and forth without tools. Makes flipping the lunette a 10second operation.

I chose the pin with the most taper at the point - makes it easier to thread through the shock.

20180525_123520.jpg

20180525_123339.jpg

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yer so smart!

Actually was a brilliant idea. I have a similar idea with my 1101, I just flip my removable hitch to accommodate a higher hitch like the 5-ton. Works perfectly with my pickup, have yet to try it with the big truck because I have not wired in a plug for it yet. I do have 12/24 bulbs I got from the Amazon. German made. They burn bright with 12 volts. I love them Germans. Not just cuz I am 1.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Everything that burnt up in the fire was pretty easily replaced. Burned up 4 air lines, 2 brake chambers, 2 mud flaps, rear hydraulic lines and cylinders, and rear lighting. Got a few air line fittings as well. Total damage was around $600. Not too bad but that included the military LED lights that aren't cheap. I have 3 brake/turn designated lights, 3 designated tail lights plus a strobe on each ramp. Hopefully all the lights do not attract drunks to run into me. You can never win, really. I also added LED markers to the side of the ramps as well.

For the DOT compliance people my M322 sits 21 inches off the ground to its lowest rear point. 1 inch lower than the mansfield bars are required to be placed.

It did also bust a U bolt on the rear axle on the passengers side on the trailer. I replaced that as i had some extras swamp donkey gave me. Was a hard enough impact to break that.

I also will be swapping out for the dual setup here next week sometime. I will be going with either 10R22.5s or a 315/85/22.5 Not sure yet.

Attachments

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’ve seen your trailer in person.
It was DOT compliant before the crash.
Lots of BS over on the crash thread.
Some definitely haven’t a clue what their talking about.

Well.......
You'll be seen now for sure.
Rolling Christmas tree.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Before I was an iron addict, I picked up a Water Buffalo from a guy in Wichita Falls for $400. It was pretty nice, missing the drop leg, but, pretty complete otherwise. The tank was pristine (still is) but I “repurposed” the trailer chassis into a dump trailer for sand and gravel from our quarry.

In hindsight I regret dismantling it. Separating the tank from the trailer. Didn’t know what I had. But the frame made a great platform for a 3.5 yard dump bed. That’s about 11,000 lbs of weight on a frame/suspension designed to carry 400 gallons of water. I pull it with the tractor, on the ranch only, but it’s all “off-road” in less than ideal conditions and it takes it with ease. It works the suspension when full, but it looks like it is designed to carry this amount.

What a trailer. I’d buy another one, at the right price if I found one, but I have never seen one for sale in this area, CL, flebay auction or side of the road. Just dumb luck that I stumbled into this one.

tobyS

Lots of BS over on the crash thread.
Some definitely haven’t a clue what their talking about.

I thought it was very civil and caring and for the most part stayed within the rules of the site.

I have one of these trailers which has not had modifications and stands rather high, right at 21" to the bottom of the dovetail. Mine has the legal lighting (led), but I can sure see the need for additional lights.

Wes mentions going to duals. That's a change I would like to make that would change the height.

Last edited:

rustystud

What are you referring to? I thought it was very civil and caring and for the most part stayed within the rules of the site.

I have one of these trailers which has not had modifications and stands rather high, right at 21" to the bottom of the dovetail. Mine has the legal lighting (led), but I can sure see the need for additional lights.

Wes mentions going to duals. That's a change I would like to make that would change the height.
We have a "crash" site here ?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I thought it was very civil and caring and for the most part stayed within the rules of the site.

275/70/22.5s are the cheapest dual with the best weight rating to go to. That size mostly comes on transit buses and RV's. Rated for 75mph and 7,000 to 9500lb each weight rating in duals. Compared to a 245 or 255 size tire that is only rated for 4 to 5,000lbs. They are found on ebay for around $130 each for high treads. Or you can watch the auction sites for when cities auction em off. You can get about 50 bus tires for $10. With 275s vs 425s you would gain about 3 inches. plus the security of duals. If you cut the humps off you gain another 3 inches if something has to sit on top of them to ride.

I went on a run today down to Alabama and back to pick up some stuff i had down there and had a blow out on the way back. It was a 425 XZL. But it blew apart bad and never felt it. Even behind my A2 truck. Being a saturday and not many tire shops open i decided to just chain it up and drive the 350 miles home with the front axle raised. I have thought about putting a hydraulic cylinder above it to pull the axle up when not in use to save on tolls. I have also thought about adding a pusher axle to get rid of some tongue weight.

Attachments

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Toby, just so you can see what mansfield bars do since some people think they are life savers. They do nothing in a 30mph or more impact. The cars still go up and under the trailers. Especially when they same on their brakes and nose dived. In the event on my trailer the 16.00-20 on the tailgate took alot of the impact. So much of an impact that is actually dented in a 3"x 3" x 1/2" thick piece of angle iron against the angle.

a Dovetail trailer such as ours isn't required to have them due to the dovetail and the hindering of the trailers capabilities to perform its primary function. offroad hauling. Regardless of what someone with the most backwards opinion thinks. Those bars would not have saved someone in the situation i had. It would have probably hit him in the face.

Attachments

rustystud

Toby, just so you can see what mansfield bars do since some people think they are life savers. They do nothing in a 30mph or more impact. The cars still go up and under the trailers. Especially when they same on their brakes and nose dived. In the event on my trailer the 16.00-20 on the tailgate took alot of the impact. So much of an impact that is actually dented in a 3"x 3" x 1/2" thick piece of angle iron against the angle.

a Dovetail trailer such as ours isn't required to have them due to the dovetail and the hindering of the trailers capabilities to perform its primary function. offroad hauling. Regardless of what someone with the most backwards opinion thinks. Those bars would not have saved someone in the situation i had. It would have probably hit him in the face.
After reading about your incident I agree with you about the "Mansfield Bars" . The car would have been totaled either way.
Just a side note for you younger readers. The Mansfield Bars are named after a famous actress (Jayne Mansfield) in the 1950's who lost her head in a rear end collision with a large truck. People where in a uproar afterwards so Congress then past a law requiring large trucks and trailers to have those "safety bars" to prevent cars from sliding under the rigs.
OK, history lesson over. Back to our regular schedule programing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks