• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your trailer today.

ACO43

Although not what I intend for the ultimate use of my M116A3 (it, hopefully, will become a camping trailer) I used it today to haul some new student desks over to my wife's school. Using my truck bed and the trailer made it a one trip job when it would have been a two trip job without it.

IMG_1309.jpg

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Hydraulic Jacks. One piece rear ramp. And hydraulics on it. In progress.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Little more left to go. Few wiring and hoses and install a spare tire mount on the ramp. Cut the fender wells off and some other things. I could not find a 2 or 3way valve locally for cheap so I had to utilize this selector valve for now. Will clean that birds nest up later.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That’s nice. It was hard to visualize at first with just mounting plates, but now that it’s all together, it looks great.

I love hydraulics. Well done man.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
812FD848-A516-40DC-9CFA-725EACE6961F.jpgBC98CF27-1683-48C5-910C-9731AB6F3AEE.jpg

Finally replaced the lost top locking pin on my M101A2 front gate.
A SS member sent me a replacement and I used the pin from that.

Quick work with a welder and then a grinding wheel insured it will never fall/pop out again.
The original crimp just isn’t large enough on some pins.
Easy to weld on more material and then grind down to fit, yet never fall out.

Fix, install, paint and all is good again.

Last edited:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just under $80 for a case of 12 aerosol cans shipping included.
You can also mix the colors.
Last case I bought 11 green and 1 tan.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Finished for the most part. Even installed a spare tire carrier for my 1600. Used the 24+ off the military plug that will keep the batteries on the trailer charged up. Using a hold power switch so I cant leave the pump on my accident. That's all folks.

https://youtu.be/86q-fX6QTr0

Attachments

tobyS

Question on trailers.....Has anyone ever replaced the heavy axle and suspension of an M105 with the torsion axle from an M1101 or 1102? I do like the surge brakes and the free reversing and have other plans for the suspension and axle from the 105. How hard is finding a M1101/2 axle without the rest of the trailer? I have a single Dexter with no brakes (electrics could be added) (8 x 6 1/2") to trade.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Question on trailers.....Has anyone ever replaced the heavy axle and suspension of an M105 with the torsion axle from an M1101 or 1102? I do like the surge brakes and the free reversing and have other plans for the suspension and axle from the 105. How hard is finding a M1101/2 axle without the rest of the trailer? I have a single Dexter with no brakes (electrics could be added) (8 x 6 1/2") to trade.
I saw a stack of NOS ones on eBay.
Good price too.
Axle, brakes, drums and all.

tobyS

I saw a stack of NOS ones on eBay.
Good price too.
Axle, brakes, drums and all.
Is that the one titled: M101A3 military trailer axle hub to hub?
If so, that is not a torsion axle, it takes springs or mounts solid. I could not come up with the torsion type.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I assume you know the 105 and 1101 or 101 are not the same bed by a big margin. The 105 is built with much heavier steel and more steel than a 101 or an 1101.

I have some NOS 105 beds and they are beefy! I’m impressed at the differences between them and the 1101 or the 101.

tobyS

I assume you know the 105 and 1101 or 101 are not the same bed by a big margin. The 105 is built with much heavier steel and more steel than a 101 or an 1101.

I have some NOS 105 beds and they are beefy! I’m impressed at the differences between them and the 1101 or the 101.
Yes, I know and really like that about the 105...steel. I've bought and sold maybe 7-8 of the 105's but now I'm into franken-trailers....green iron cannibalism.

The 105 bed on it's own would seem to be perfect with the torsion and surge brake axle from a 1101 and it's heavy enough to fabricate good axle mounts and a tongue + some frame where the strength of bed is used.
I'd love to have the 105 beds to fab from (and sell) and I still need one for the deuce. Chris has sold me an entire 105 but I'm not sure of it's condition for the 4x4 project.

I've probably shown this one to you...it worked out nice and the guy added his own hydraulic for dumping.

Attachments

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That’s right. I think I remember this conversation.

I too think the 105 bed is the perfect strength for a dump bed. Or just a tough AS trailer. I had plans of making one, but I have lots of plans ... you know that goes.

I dont know much about the strength of the torsion axles, but I’d think a good set of 7k springs/axles with electric brakes would work great.

But that isn’t what you asked. :)

tobyS

I doubt finding only the torsion axle is very likely.

Yea....projects...I'm committed to several already but always looking for a better way to use what I have on hand (which is not a 1101 axle).

We'll talk again about NOS bed if I sell something. Thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks