• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just got a M32K-4A Trailer

99nouns

:jumpin: I think it looks awesome and I love the trailer behind my M927-A2, I had to go through EUC which cleared in a month or so.

Now it pulled beautiful from Jacksonville, FL to Ocala, FL about 130 miles, what I love about it is that it follows right after the tire tracks, so I didnt have to worry about making any wide turns or belly scrapes. (Stopped at couple of shopping centers on the way)

Now I only have one major problem, I can not back it up, I use to need 1 acre to make a U-turn for my M927, now I need 2 acres.:roll:

Seriously I will end up going into a dead end street by mistake one of these days and live rest of my life there.

Please can someone tell me if there is a way to do this easily.

Thanks...

Last edited by a moderator:

snowtrac nome

1 put a sissy hitch on the front bumper or 2 chain it up with binders so the front cant steer you will just have to skid it through turns 3 would be to fab up a tung lock like the pls trailers have

99nouns

Just wondering if anyone else has any ideas on how to back this trailer up, I would really appreciate any input.

I literally cant back it up more than 5 feet.

m715mike

Huh, interesting, trailer has another pintle hook on it's back and maybe I can install that on the front bumper.

Do you have a tow bar? If so, there's no need to modify your truck. Put the tow bar feet on the truck's front bumper and the other end of the tow bar in the trailer's hitch. This will allow you to pull the trailer backwards to get out of a jam. Of course, you may still need a way to prevent the front trailer axle from steering.

snowtrac nome

using chains and binders may not be an option as you have a steerable axle but when backing a trailer with a converter dollie like doubles you can lock down the trailer in front to the rear in an x pattern with chains and binders preventing steering action. Its been a long time since I went through pls training at camp Roberts I do remember I do remember being shown and engaging a steering lock on the tung of the pls trailer if I remember right it was a big pin that locked into a hole, sorry but that had to be 15 years ago it still feels like yesterday till I try to remember details.

big block 88

I would just chain the front axle so it cant turn like a hay wagon. It would be fairly easy to do, for short term. Long term i would just installed a lock pin on the front that when the front axle is straight you drop a pin through a hole in the deck or neck into the sterring of the trailer. Without being able to see how steers and where i cant tell you where to drill or weld for the pin.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the same problem with my M989A1.
Can't back it up to same my life.
It has a front steering locking pin, but that's for backing straight back on flat open ground.

At least yours is lighter.

Its the wagon design.
All you can do is plan your route ahead of time.

I have not not tried the chain method.

I want of one of those trailers, but their too far away.
Cost way more to ship than trailer cost to buy.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What does speed have to do with anything previously posted? Does not seem like a useful comment.
If it was a 130 miles of interstate hi-way at hi-way speeds it could be a factor in handling and safety .your comment doesn't seem to useful either . Wreckerman893 thought it was good information to post in the thread I linked.Since his is stenciled 55 mph maybe there has been a design change .

snowtrac nome

I kind of do the same thing with my cj in tow I lock the steering wheel when backing up my cummins powered dodge has enough weight to skid the front end around as long as I don't try to turn too sharp when backing up. with the 5 ton I would imagine you have enough weight to do the same thing with a steering lock

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
using chains and binders may not be an option as you have a steerable axle but when backing a trailer with a converter dollie like doubles you can lock down the trailer in front to the rear in an x pattern with chains and binders preventing steering action. Its been a long time since I went through pls training at camp Roberts I do remember I do remember being shown and engaging a steering lock on the tung of the pls trailer if I remember right it was a big pin that locked into a hole, sorry but that had to be 15 years ago it still feels like yesterday till I try to remember details.
I've seen steering lock pins on "farm trailers" in my time..............

Uhm,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Snowtrac,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,ya might wanna go see the Medic about that memory thingie............................sounds like the early onset of C.R.S.

Which I suffer from quite severely.....................get checked and get checked often! ROFLMAO!!

C= Can't
R= Remember
S=Sh%@

LOL

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I had the same problem with a 720 dolly just to get out of a jamb, not sure but think your draw bar will fold up like the dollie's. Hang a come a long off of each rear stake pocket and raise the front of the trailer up till it is up to the truck bed, you now have a 2 wheel trailer that backs up easy. It is really easy to do.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The shortest & easiest answer to "backing a wagon trailer" is Plan Ahead! All other answers get complicated. When you have doubles (45 footers), its like trying to push a chain. Its reffered to as "dragging a set of joints".

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have fabrication options, perhaps you can make a temporary rigid extension for the tongue. This will 'dumb down' the reaction and your over correction of each wandering - giving you more time to react correctly.

Looking at the theory...

Just by adding that second pivot vs a regular trailer does not mean that you do the opposite of what you'd do with a reg trailer.
Try to imagine that you are looking down on the steering end of the 'wagon', ignore steering the truck - that's where part of your problem comes from. What you need to do is 'use the whole truck' or the a$$ of the truck to move the tongue of the trailer to steer the front of the trailer as if it was a car - want the trailer to go to the right, you need to turn the tongue slightly to the right - but as soon as the trailer starts to turn, then you need to stop 'changing' the rate of turn and keep the tongue angle to the trailer body constant - FOLLOW the front of the 'wagon' with the whole truck until you need to straighten up. You will notice that the front of the truck will be going left and right as you correct the rate of the turning...

If this is too wordy - I'll try come up with some pics...

Best go to a school parking lot on the weekend with some cones and practice backing straight. Tip - however much you think you need to turn the steering wheel of your truck - halve it!

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can't edit this type of forum...

Like Rosco said, explaining this in words is quite difficult and as I mentioned, my attempt at helping you (and silent others) may be 'too wordy'.

I have hay wagons and tractors which give you a magnificent view right over the tongue of the trailer and it still takes a lot of thinking and practice each spring when I 'start over'. It is much harder to 'visualise' this when you are detached in a pickup cab and even worse, when in a 5 ton.

Good luck.

A front bumper hitch is std on 'across the pond' NATO vehicles - and that is for 'nosing' regular trailers back - like onto landing craft.
The standard trailer for a wrecker in the UK is a full trailer (wagon type) not 'semi' type for obvious reasons - lots of practice is the norm.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks