• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

D60/14BFF Axle Swap on M1009

Chaski

Pretty sure you could get away with a 39 tooth speedometer gear and keep the housing that came with your ride. It would be close... I think.

I don't know for sure what color the drive gear is on the NP208 that is on the M1009. If you pull out the single 10mm head bolt that holds the housing retainer in you could get the colors of your drive gear and your driven gear.

peglegwillie

Looks like a well done M1009, Just getting started on mine due to medical issues , looking at the winch set up have the info on mount to use like it well, looks like brush guard supposed to be set up, again WELL DONE !!!

Can any of you guys help me with ebrake cables? There are multiple sizes for the 14 bolt and I can't figure out which ones are correct for a m1009 with a 14 bolt axle.

honda

Can any of you guys help me with ebrake cables? There are multiple sizes for the 14 bolt and I can't figure out which ones are correct for a m1009 with a 14 bolt axle.
I just finished ( almost ) a 1 ton swap into the M1009. I'm a thinking you may have kept the drums. Not sure what I did will directly benefit your situation. I headed for disc brakes and found the OEM E-brake cable to be a bit long, sout about 8 inches off the OEM cable and will be swaging on a stainless steel button stop then installing the finished cable onto the disc set-up. I will be sure to do a max multiple test of the swaged on button stop before I have confidence it will hold. I tried to find a Tucson shop that could machine on the button stop, but no luck, so I bought a 1DMU9 swaging tool from Bezos, stainless buttons from the net and waiting for all to arrive. Meanwhile, its' an e-brake. Haven't had one of those for 6 months.
Hope this helps.
IMG_0164.JPGIMG_0172.JPGIMG_0171.JPGIMG_0170.JPGIMG_0169.JPGIMG_0176.JPGIMG_0185.JPGIMG_0190.JPGIMG_0167.JPGIMG_0174.JPG

Looks nice but yes I kept the drums. I'd rather just pop for the new cables then buy a swedging tool and "customize" my own.
Don't forget to paint all your new parts.

I think the different lengths are for dually vs non dually. I'm just gonna buy the longer ones and see what happens.

Last edited:

Ilikemtb999

The 3/4 ton calipers don't have the tightest brake pads so they tend to make some rattling noise, I had to space my brackets out because they didn't center the caliper over the rotor, I don't have a parking brake (I know you can use the eldorado calipers but unless you buy an expensive kit, you need to source the arms and whatnots if buying from the auto parts store. I also have a bit too much rear bias so I need an adjustable proportioning valve(still haven't gotten one installed yet).

peglegwillie

Thank you

Not without moving the spring pads on the axle. I believe the suburbans with 14b's have the correct spring pad spacing.
Thank you for info. Checked into it measured spring perches 14b came off 3500 long bed measured same as M1009 I have Purchased rolling frame with axles, springs and hardware inc brakes done a lot of measurements to see about fit

honda

Looks nice but yes I kept the drums. I'd rather just pop for the new cables then buy a swedging tool and "customize" my own.
Don't forget to paint all your new parts.

I think the different lengths are for dually vs non dually. I'm just gonna buy the longer ones and see what happens.
10/4 on the paint. Got a little ahead of myself when things started going together well. Got a little rust bullet left over from the body work Stuff works great.

I took the m1009 out into the hills today and last Saturday. I am LOVING these axles, this is by far the best modification I've done so far. The truck drives smooth and it's 4x4 capabilities have increased immensely.

IMG_6140.jpgIMG_6181.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats! Great modification, the only draw back I have on my 14BFF swap is the loss of clearance, so I plan to have it shaved one of these days. But it seems there are always fun projects to complete.

I took the m1009 out into the hills today and last Saturday. I am LOVING these axles, this is by far the best modification I've done so far. The truck drives smooth and it's 4x4 capabilities have increased immensely.

View attachment 696644View attachment 696645

Ilikemtb999

I used a barns shave cover before I put mine in. No welding required, just cutting the giant lip off the bottom and running 1 less bolt. There are more expensive kits that take way more work if you need more clearance.

The only time I had to reverse and take a different line was when my pumpkin bumped against a rock. No big deal though, I just backed it up and moved it over 4".

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used a barns shave cover before I put mine in. No welding required, just cutting the giant lip off the bottom and running 1 less bolt. There are more expensive kits that take way more work if you need more clearance.
It takes longer, but eventually the diff housing will wear down (up, technically) by being scraped over rocks and create extra clearance all by itself.
Until, one day, it has worn so thin that the process has to be started over with a new axle housing, or a plate welded in for strength.

Gunfighter1

I just finished ( almost ) a 1 ton swap into the M1009. I'm a thinking you may have kept the drums. Not sure what I did will directly benefit your situation. I headed for disc brakes and found the OEM E-brake cable to be a bit long, sout about 8 inches off the OEM cable and will be swaging on a stainless steel button stop then installing the finished cable onto the disc set-up. I will be sure to do a max multiple test of the swaged on button stop before I have confidence it will hold. I tried to find a Tucson shop that could machine on the button stop, but no luck, so I bought a 1DMU9 swaging tool from Bezos, stainless buttons from the net and waiting for all to arrive. Meanwhile, its' an e-brake. Haven't had one of those for 6 months.
Hope this helps.
View attachment 688371View attachment 688376View attachment 688375View attachment 688374View attachment 688373View attachment 688378View attachment 688379View attachment 688380View attachment 688372View attachment 688377
Setup looks good! Is that the factory 208 tcase? Whose slip yoke eliminator is that? I didnt think they made one for a 208.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks