• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

B-29 "Doc" Awarded New Airworthiness Certificate

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
YES ! There are now TWO flying B-29's.

FIFI has been in the air for a while now.

DOC's restoration was completed much more recently. And THIS THREAD is all about DOC being issued a fresh AIRWORTHINESS CERTIFICATE. That means that she is not longer flying under the "experimental" rules, but is in fact now considered to be a "real airplane" again. when they want to fly her she just file a flight plan and go (abbreviated explanation) like a little Cessna or Piper would.

Earning that CERTIFICATE is quite an accomplishment.
Ok, gotcha.....

FIFI is a B-29

I asked about B-24s...the "Liberator".....

Sorry, carry on "Doc"

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any B-24s still flying? Thanks Chappy!
B-24A.jpg B-24J.jpg The desert tan aircraft is the B-24A from the Commemorative Air Force. The aluminum aircraft is a B-24J from the Collings Foundation. Both are airworthy and fly at airshows around the country. There also may be other B-24s that are airworthy, and several more are static displays in aviation museums.

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
That would be interesting to know how many B-24's that are still airworthy. As a kid, when I lived in Yorba Linda, we used to hike over a small mountain range, (more like big hills) to Chino Airport, to look at old war birds. There were at any time two to four P-38's, three to five B-25's, one to two B-24's. And a mess of Mustangs. This was in 1966 or 1967. Some of the P-38's and B-25's were owned by a company that did mapping, for the oil companies.

The P-38's were of the (I think) F models. Longer nose, for the cameras. The B-25's had no glass in the nose, and were also strangely elongated. Top turrets were gone, side gun positions were covered over. There was also one B-17. I never saw the B-17 fly, but the others were in the air fairly often. Or some of them anyway. It was not unusual to find old war birds in other small airports. There was a P-38 in Blyth and another someplace not far from Hoover dam. Cant remember the name of the palace, its been 50 years ago. It was a dream come true!

Speaking of Hoover Dam and B-29's, there is a B-29 in Lake Mead, behind Hoover Dam. Or used to be, it someone hasn't stole the whole thing. I read a story a long time ago about it crashing there.

Last edited:

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That would be interesting to know how many B-24's that are still airworthy. As a kid, when I lived in Yorba Linda, we used to hike over a small mountain range, (more like big hills) to Chino Airport, to look at old war birds. There were at any time two to four P-38's, three to five B-25's, one to two B-24's. And a mess of Mustangs. This was in 1966 or 1967. Some of the P-38's and B-25's were owned by a company that did mapping, for the oil companies.

The P-38's were of the (I think) F models. Longer nose, for the cameras. The B-25's had no glass in the nose, and were also strangely elongated. Top turrets were gone, side gun positions were covered over. There was also one B-17. I never saw the B-17 fly, but the others were in the air fairly often. Or some of them anyway. It was not unusual to find old war birds in other small airports. There was a P-38 in Blyth and another someplace not far from Hoover dam. Cant remember the name of the palace, its been 50 years ago. It was a dream come true!

Speaking of Hoover Dam and B-29's, there is a B-29 in Lake Mead, behind Hoover Dam. Or used to be, it someone hasn't stole the whole thing. I read a story a long time ago about it crashing there.
B-29 Lake Mead.jpgGuyfang. This is a picture of the Lake Mead B-29. The wreck is normally about 300ft. deep, but with the drought, the wreck is about 100ft. deep. The shallower water enables divers to dive and explore the wreck........nobody has stolen it yet, although there have been some souvenirs taken.

Guyfang

Staff member
Thats where I learned to water ski. Man was it nice water to ski and fish!!

I wouldnt mind is someone salvaged the wreck to rebuild/ restore a static display, but hope no one takes little parts off until it's all gone.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are currently two airworthy B-24s; an A model Diamond Lil and a J model Witchcraft. Two others are currently undergoing restoration to be airworthy again. There are also two PB4Y-2 Privateers currently airworthy. They aren't technically the same as a B-24, but the PB4Y-2 was derived from the B-24 airframe so they're very similar.

Another Ahab

There are currently two airworthy B-24s; an A model Diamond Lil and a J model Witchcraft. Two others are currently undergoing restoration to be airworthy again. There are also two PB4Y-2 Privateers currently airworthy. They aren't technically the same as a B-24, but the PB4Y-2 was derived from the B-24 airframe so they're very similar.
Was that the airframe used for USN anti-submarine warfare in the Pacific?

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
B-24J.jpgConsolidated-PB4Y-2-Privateer.jpg Early this week a friend of mine took this picture of the B-24J flying overhead near John Wayne airport in So. California. The other picture is a Consolidated PB4Y-2 Privateer.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While the PB4Y-2 is derived from the B-24, it was a new aircraft and looks pretty different.

However, the early PB4Y-1 was essentially just a B-24D in Navy markings. Later PB4Y-1s had the Erco ball turret mounted in the nose, but were still virtually identical to USAAC B-24s.

Pic 1 is an early version with the B-24D's glazed nose, Rovin Redhead is the later version with the Erco turret.

Cheers

Attachments

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
general-mitchell-international-airport-departures-entrance-milwaukee-wisconsin_21973.jpg jasonjc you are correct. Here is a picture taken at General Mitchell Airport in 2012. The last time I was there was 1996, and I could swear the B-25 was on it's landing gear, and in this picture it's mounted on a pylon. Anyways I have trouble remembering what went on last month, let alone remembering details from 1996. :shrugs:

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was in Dallas Wed, and saw a B-29 taking off and doing a circle of the city it must have been this plane, very thin profile and very impressive to see flying!!!

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The grandson of the Enola Gay pilot will be in Wichita on Friday to take the controls of the B-29 Bomber, “Doc.”
McConnell Air Force Base said in a news release Tuesday Brig. Gen. Paul Tibbets IV will fly Doc from the right seat when the Wichita-built and restored Boeing Superfortress travels to Whiteman Air Force Base for the Wings Over Whiteman Airshow on Saturday and Sunday.
Tibbets IV is the grandson of Brig. Gen. Paul Tibbets Jr., who was commander of the B-29 Enola Gay on its mission to drop an atomic bomb on Hiroshima, Japan, in August 1945.

Here's the WHOLE article....

http://www.kansas.com/news/business/aviation/article154576399.html

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks