• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

B-29 "Doc" Awarded New Airworthiness Certificate

Another Ahab

Tibbets IV is the grandson of Brig. Gen. Paul Tibbets Jr., who was commander of the B-29 Enola Gay on its mission to drop an atomic bomb on Hiroshima, Japan, in August 1945.
Got a kind of related story, but nothing about B-29's (my old man told me this one):

- General George S. Patton, Jr. (yes, THAT one), also named his son "George S. Patton" (George S. Patton IV)

- George IV served in both the Korean War and the Viet Nam War, and eventually advanced to the rank of Major General.

- He retired after his service to a small working farm somewhere n New England (New Hampshire I think it was), where as a part of his operation he maintained a little roadside produce stand.

- It seems some National Guard unit was uncharacteristically on a weekend drill far (far) away from their regular operating area. They made a little stop at a small roadside stand for a little refreshment (guess whose it was).

- Well, it had been a long time since the Old Soldier had been in the company of so many of his prior "people", and he became particularly energized and animated by the experience, and he became very chatty.

- When that unit got back to their Guard compound they all shared the story with their buddies about how they had run into "this crazy old farmer in the middle of nowhere who thinks he's General George S. Patton".

- The story took a while to get back to George IV, but apparently he was a good sport. Because when it did, he apparently had a real big laugh!

That's it. The End.

Last edited:

Another Ahab

"An obvious template for the Millenial Falcon" (mentioned in like the first minute).

It would appear that the comment is accurate (from the looks of it). It would be neat to confirm that, if true.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great video, thanks for posting. What a great airplane. I've seen and touched Fifi, but never had the chance to buy a ticket to ride. If I can manage to match up my time and location with her schedule I'd gladly pay the going rate to fly aboard her for a few minutes.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
"An obvious template for the Millenial Falcon" (mentioned in like the first minute).

It would appear that the comment is accurate (from the looks of it). It would be neat to confirm that, if true.
Brother Ahab, I agree, I've had that same thought!

85CUCVtom

Great video, thanks for posting. What a great airplane. I've seen and touched Fifi, but never had the chance to buy a ticket to ride. If I can manage to match up my time and location with her schedule I'd gladly pay the going rate to fly aboard her for a few minutes.
I know it pretty pricy for rides but it's probably so worth it! I'm sure the cost to operate isn't cheap so it's all relative I guess.

I've been kicking around the idea of buying my father-in-law a ride as a retirement gift. His father flew B-29's- his crew has 20 some missions and was one of the most decorated in his group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
An old adage about engineering design goes like this, "Form follows function."

Generally translated, the best most efficient and effective designs are seldom "stylized". Each component design that integrates to reach the ultimate purpose is intentionally conceived. If a feature has no useful performance enhancing quality/qualities, if it adds to the cost or complexity of production, maintenance, or materials it is eliminated - thus yielding the most simplistic appearing product. Just look at most of NASA's orbital designs, or for that matter, almost ALL of our MV's. The reason certain design features are common to most vehicles is because it just couldn't be simplified any further.

While it's true, STAR WARS props peeps probably pilfered the B-29's (or other similar glass-nosed craft's) pattern, it also stands to reason that if it was original design work they simply arrived at a very similarly simplistic arrangement.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
On September 21, 1942 the first B-29 Superfortress took flight.

As with many others, this was an historic event for Military Vehicles.

The HISTORY CHANNEL reports it this way....

Guyfang

Staff member
On September 21, 1942 the first B-29 Superfortress took flight.

As with many others, this was an historic event for Military Vehicles.

The HISTORY CHANNEL reports it this way....

Developing and producing the B-29, costs more then developing and producing 3 Atomic weapons.

Another Ahab

Developing and producing the B-29, costs more then developing and producing 3 Atomic weapons.

Just think it over:

- If the boys would quit playing power games, and picking fights with one another

- Think about all the sick children and starving families that could be made whole with those funds instead

But that's never as much "fun" (for the boys, anyway).

Maybe that's the problem.

Who knows, you know?!

Wolfen

What?!!

That's too bad, really too bad. MAN!

But I guess it is important to learn to let go. Ashes-to-ashes, dust-to-dust. All things must pass. Only love endures.
They jury rigged a fuel supply for the APU. While taxing for takeoff, a leak developed. The fuel caught fire and burned up everything but the propellers if I remember correctly. Very sad. There is a B29 at the bottom of lake Mead in AZ. It crashed after WWII. Scuba divers, can go visit it.

jasonjc

They jury rigged a fuel supply for the APU. While taxing for takeoff, a leak developed. The fuel caught fire and burned up everything but the propellers if I remember correctly. Very sad. There is a B29 at the bottom of lake Mead in AZ. It crashed after WWII. Scuba divers, can go visit it.
Only now that the lake is down so far.

Another Ahab

They jury rigged a fuel supply for the APU. While taxing for takeoff, a leak developed. The fuel caught fire and burned up everything but the propellers if I remember correctly.
Oh, yeah, aluminum is like magnesium ("willy pete"), if I remember it correctly:

- Add oxygen and heat and in a flash they both burn, baby, burn!

They're both elements with similar chemistry (+/-).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks