• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Purchase...M816!

tobyS

Good luck with your Cat. I had (past tense) a Case about that size. Wes has hauled for a lot of us and was a part of motivating me to buy an M322 trailer.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
That track loader is a little different. It was used by the railroad. Rather than being a standard lift and dump the bucket can actually angle out to one side and dump. I assume for loading rail cars from the side of the tracks.

tobyS

I noticed the shape of the bucket was different but didn't see the side unloading feature. It looks rugged. How much does it weigh?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I noticed the shape of the bucket was different but didn't see the side unloading feature. It looks rugged. How much does it weigh?
32320. Standard models weigh 29760. I just dont like the narrow tracks. Had to be loaded backwards. Alot of trackloaders cant make the climb. They just dont have the umph or front weight once it hits the humps. Unless you fill the bucket up.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

USAFNB

@tobys and simp5782 - that's right it does have a hydraulic side dump bucket. It should be a pretty useful option while digging out our hill to put in my barn. Eventually I want to get a clamshell bucket for the front as well.

I also loved the m322 trailer but it was pretty high and I don't think it would work for me...unloading that dozer was an experience but thankfully Wes knew exactly what to do. I am looking at either at m1061 or finding a decent civi trailer but I'm worried about electric brakes working with my military trucks.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
@tobys and simp5782 - that's right it does have a hydraulic side dump bucket. It should be a pretty useful option while digging out our hill to put in my barn. Eventually I want to get a clamshell bucket for the front as well.

I also loved the m322 trailer but it was pretty high and I don't think it would work for me...unloading that dozer was an experience but thankfully Wes knew exactly what to do. I am looking at either at m1061 or finding a decent civi trailer but I'm worried about electric brakes working with my military trucks.
You can put 255/70/22.5s in dual mode on it and drop it down almost 9 inches. It just makes it harder to pull.

tobyS

I'm thinking of making a rear ramp/bed that raises to flat, doesn't fold up, on my M322. It would make it about 12' longer. I could probably use air bags for raising and lowering that far, mounted at the very back of the frame.

The spring setup for the OEM ramps is simply not working. My back can't take it and I won't always have the front end loader.

9" would be a lot closer to the ground Wes. I understand about the "pulling" issue.... it uses more HP. Still, for local work might be worth considering.

I like the M1061 too. Here is mine. I chose it because the side rails are C channel and can have a pocket fitted to it with an outer flat and stay just within the legal 8'6". Most are a boxed design that with a pocket and flat would be too wide. Oh and I really like the low profile. A longer tongue may be in my trailer's future.

Attachments

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I'm thinking of making a rear ramp/bed that raises to flat, doesn't fold up, on my M322. It would make it about 12' longer. I could probably use air bags for raising and lowering that far, mounted at the very back of the frame.

The spring setup for the OEM ramps is simply not working. My back can't take it and I won't always have the front end loader.

9" would be a lot closer to the ground Wes. I understand about the "pulling" issue.... it uses more HP. Still, for local work might be worth considering.
Well and if you cut the humps off and just make em flat then it gains another 3 inches. so you get another foot.

I can send you some stronger springs for those ramps. Those are probably just too weak. SwampDonkey has some on his where actually has to pull the ramps down. they are just off the ground when all the way down and easily go up.

On the back of the trailer there are Two holes for poles. You put the pole in it with the hand winch to pull the ramps up. Or you can makeshift some with a small electric winch to hook a chain across ramp to ramp to lift both at the same time. Just store a telescoping pole with the winch and a battery in that rear access area.

USAFNB

@tobyS and Simp5782,

you guys are answering all my questions, and I agree with you tobyS that the M1061 is probably a better fit for me right now as I am moving less equipment and more materials like steel roof parts and general lumber. I would love something I could tow with my 3/4' Burb but If it has to be the deuce that's fine too.

Eventually whatever trailer I get (most likely after I retire) will be pulled by either the wrecker or possibly a designated tractor (maybe M52 or M817) for short trips to do equipment work. The wrecker is great and could pull the weights I am looking at (Cat weighs 32k) and would be the heaviest thing I would pull. So I am thinking either a 15ton or more trailer. The M322 would work but they are definitely not cheap.

p.s. tobyS thanks for the pictures and recommendations I have thought of doing something similar as well to the 1061 to make it more usable.

USAFNB

Wes, thanks for those I didn't even know about the mto16. I like the m345 and know where I can get one for $2k but it's heavy at 10k empty.

Big job before trailer is to get the wrecker 100% road worthy.

USAFNB

Last weekend did not go as planned due to the sup-tropical storm in Florida...we received a lot of rain from the edges of the storm and our red Tennessee clay turned into jelly. Even the Cat was sliding around. We did get quite a bit of dirt work done on Friday with the Cat and Ford. The 816 batteries also gave us fits:mad:, turns out they were low on electrolyte (probably from being sloshed around while driving on multiple trips from home to property) SO we pull started it with the Cat:naner:. No pictures sadly we had our hands full between Dad and I but she fired right up. never had an easier starting truck.

Quick question for anyone with an 800 series truck, I noticed I have an extra set of cables in the battery box area, is this for a 4 battery set up?

We are going back down in June with topped off wrecker batteries, a lot of fresh diesel and hopefully picking up a replacement rear drag winch on a long weekend to finally build our structure for the equipment and probably gravel the driveway. More pictures to come.

The crane truck will be used quite a bit to help with that, it will be a 22ft x 26ft structure using a heavy military cover I got in trade as well as a ton of 2x4's, 2x6's and 4x4's to make a frame. Life is so much easier with a wrecker around, best money I've spent so far in building our cabin and developing our land.

Once its under cover I will be cleaning it up, fixing a few things and probably building a small extension for the crane to lift roof trusses...I am working with a crane company to help identify limits of whatever I come up with (no more than maybe 500 lb. lifting capability). I will share plans on here as well! :beer:

33775968_10107019379105034_3872536148379172864_n.jpg33921065_10107019379184874_403161239976411136_n.jpg33923044_10107019378915414_5931914284673007616_n.jpg34032634_10107019379364514_6763407416169070592_n.jpg

USAFNB

Finally began ordering the basic issue items for the wrecker...found this little guy on sale for too cheap to pass up.
IMG_20180628_145104892_LL.jpg

Any other recommendations for the truck, I also have the lifting poles and winching legs on my list to buy.

Going down hopefully next weekend to do some clean up / re-arranging so we can have gravel put down vs the muddy mess we had last time. Will post pictures then

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Finally began ordering the basic issue items for the wrecker...found this little guy on sale for too cheap to pass up.
View attachment 732998

Any other recommendations for the truck, I also have the lifting poles and winching legs on my list to buy.

Going down hopefully next weekend to do some clean up / re-arranging so we can have gravel put down vs the muddy mess we had last time. Will post pictures then
Do you have a double hook chain? Should have the big cleavis in the middle and two open hooks on each end. Around 3 ft long total. Makes lifting items very easy. Especially if you are stacking tires you can reach thru the wheel and pick em up and get em off the chain without ever having to get out of the seat.

An umbrella this time of year always makes things nice too.

USAFNB

Wes,

Great idea, I don't have one of those yet but it's on the list now. I have a canvas operator cover which makes things very nice. Tennessee has some hot summers.

USAFNB

Gents,

My dad and I went to my property this weekend and got some work done, the wrecker was pretty integral and did not let us down. started easy and did all the heavy lifting we needed it to do.

We went to pack up Sunday before I go TDY for the next two months and truck started fine but would not do anything but idle. Linkage on the IP and pedal moved but nothing changed with the RPMs. No sputtering, no other indications.

History on this truck: it has always been a great running truck since I have had it (about 1 year) no leaks, doesn't use oil, great oil pressure just not a beauty queen.

luckily we were able to get the truck backed into our soon to be barn so it can remain stationary for some time if the IP needs replaced/rebuilt. (upload some more pictures later)

any thoughts?

IMG_20180727_133859345_HDR.jpg

wcuhillbilly

Sounds like the crane governor is still engaged. Lever behind seat, if it's not fully back,. Or the rear deck lever,. If either is not in the off position or the gear didn't fully disengage then the air switch will continue to supply the bimbi cylinder on the IP and the over rev governor will not let you get above idle-1200 rpm. I've had mine stick and forgot to disengage the cab lever,. 2 miles later it dawned on me after the beads of fearful sweat over a big $ repair..
Also,. My bimbi cylinder finger is bad to extend while governor is engaged, and get stuck under it striker-carraige bolt head- and be wedged untill I free it via flathead and or pliers... Oh,,, the word of wrecker ownership

USAFNB

Well Dad went down and did some hurricane prep like boarding up windows and making sure everything was tied down just in case. He also looked at the IP on the 816 and I am very happy to report that the issue was simple. Thanks to Simp5782 a.k.a Wes for his input on the possible cause which turned out to be a slightly loose bolt on the IP throttle bracket (see photo with arrow). He tightened that down and it now runs like a champ, i'm guessing it loosened during pro-longed idling and use of the crane to build the barn frame. Home in about 3 weeks so it will be full blast getting stuff done before winter and or my next bout of temporary duty.

M816 IP.jpg

USAFNB

Another trip in the books and the barn is finally finished. The temporary barn will cover my equipment for a few months while we dig out the hill to build my permanent 30x50 metal pole barn. All materials will be reused somewhere so no waste. Also a pretty epic pull off when the crane truck started to slide in the "red Tennessee mud" aka oil spill. Fixed the throttle cable and the front winch clutch release so a few more things off the to-do list. All in all a great trip. I also just won a set of "field spades" for the truck for $60...not too bad. Pics to come when I go get them.
IMG_20181220_111422200_HDR.jpgIMG_20181220_100722134_HDR.jpgIMG_20181220_100733907_HDR.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks