• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Purchase...M816!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
My dad, Uncle and I went to our property this weekend where the truck is located. We greased and oiled the entire truck, some things were "sticky" from sitting, but overall the truck ran great and fired right up. we got the crane winch let out, greased and pulled back in correctly. Also got the front winch broke free, however it still isn't working. Someone put a bolt in place of the shear pin. The PTO engages, spins but the shaft does not...I think the key on the PTO shaft is broken, more to come on that in the future.

Any recommendations or advice on belt change, specifically the water pump. I have read these trucks with the 855 cummins and the rotating water pump to tighten the belt can be "challenging"?

As always you steel soldiers help is greatly appreciated!
The belt is on an eccentric. I use a long 3/8 extension to knock it around. You need a new crush seal just in case. They leak sometimes when you tighten it back up.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

red

Broken key on the front winch PTO shaft, that never happens when a bolt is used for a shear pin........

IMG_20160403_165839334.jpg

When replacing mine the PTO shaft was rather difficult to shorten, took lots of convincing with the 5ft prybar and a small sledge hammer. Also took a buffer wheel to the ouput shaft of the PTO, helped with the install.

USAFNB

@ Simp5782 - Thanks for the tips, I will get the belt set on order as well as the crush seal.

@ Red - Where did you get the new key for your PTO shaft?

Picture of the Cabin, you can see about 5% of my property behind it...heavily wooded.
Cabin (email).jpg

tobyS

How many acres do you have? Did you cut your own logs for the cabin? Did you use your truck to build it?

red

@ Simp5782 - Thanks for the tips, I will get the belt set on order as well as the crush seal.

@ Red - Where did you get the new key for your PTO shaft?

Picture of the Cabin, you can see about 5% of my property behind it...heavily wooded.
View attachment 690352
Ordered mine (and a replacement set screw) from Big Mikes Motorpool. It's not listed on his site (or other vendors) but they can find it and order them

USAFNB

Sorry for getting back to you guys so late, work has been crazy and I have been TDY most of the month.

@TobyS - we have about 50 acres... we haven't cut any logs. we did use the truck to replace some missing or damaged roof and second floor panels.

@Red - Thanks for the heads up! new key is on order!

Heading back down Mid September to hopefully finish installing windows and fix winch key among cleaning up the truck a little ( pics to come!)

USAFNB

Well good and bad news from our last visit to work on the truck and property. Quite a bit of fog but GOOD news the front winch key was to blame for a inoperable front winch (Thanks Red for the info!):goodjob: and the truck started right up after sitting for about a month and a half. We drained and topped off the antifreeze with new before winter. The bad news is the rear winch is junk (see picture)...there is a 1/2" crack in the case on the driver side which my guess was caused by running the winch end into the fair lead. Something had to give and the bolt standing in for the shear pin didn't help either. So I will be swapping out the rear winch in the future. With the damaged case I am concerned with removing as instructed in the TM's. I would be worried it would come apart while being lifted out of the wrecker body. Any suggestions? weld the broken case so it can be removed? Any good sources for a rear winch?

IMG952017091795065918481.jpgWrecker 2.jpgWinch.jpg:shrugs::evil:

Last edited:

red

Great to hear on the front winch, sucks about the rear winch.

To remove it I'd just wrap it with a ratchet strap to hold it together.

With a replacement rear there are always options. The stock rear 45k is power in/out only, no freespool capability which makes it a pain to use with a crew and very difficult on your own without some mods to the truck. A HET winch is stronger (55k). Maybe go with a weaker winch that has even more cable. Or no winch, use the back area for tool boxes/flatbed/welder/whatever. All depends on your planned uses for the truck.

USAFNB

Red, as usual the advice is much appreciated! I would like to go with a winch again since I have heavy equipment (Cat D4 size dozer and Cat 955 Loader) among other heavy things that could get stuck in our mountainous escape and there is NO WAY a traditional tow truck or wrecker is getting back there.

I know the newer 900 series trucks are hydraulic rear winch, that could be made to free spool. I am looking at options but with replacement winches costing $1-2k...it will have to wait after we finish the inside of our cabin's kitchen, bathroom and big barn to house my toys!

on a side note I have been following your trucks build up, specifically how you want to get rid of the power divider. Maybe a dumb question but did you rule out a second small engine on the crane similar to modern crane designs? just a humble suggestion as it is my plan when my truck gives me fits.

red

The m936 wrecker uses the exact same winch as the m816 and m543, no free spool capability. If you look underneath the back of your m816 at the chain drive on the 45k winch you will find the only difference in the m936 rear winch setup. On the m816 the PTO shaft powers that smaller gear box on the chain drive, with a m936 instead of a PTO shaft gear box it uses a hydraulic motor and different sized gears for the chain drive.

The lack of free spool can be dealt with for 1 person operation by using a second small winch to pull the bigger winch's cable out while the bigger winch is being powered out. Small winch would keep the larger cable close to tight while being spooled out.

That's wcuhillbilly that wants to get rid of his power divider. Both of us are planning to move the hydraulic pump off of the crane and down to the truck chassis. A pony motor to run the crane's hydraulic pump is a viable option that at least one member here did. He took a m543/m816 wrecker bed and installed it onto a m123 10 ton truck chassis.

For my plans with the truck I want the hydraulic pump to be driven by the truck PTOs. Making my bed removable and will have different platforms to swap between so with the hydraulics on the truck chassis it can be used for different needs.

Csm Davis

Red, as usual the advice is much appreciated! I would like to go with a winch again since I have heavy equipment (Cat D4 size dozer and Cat 955 Loader) among other heavy things that could get stuck in our mountainous escape and there is NO WAY a traditional tow truck or wrecker is getting back there.

I know the newer 900 series trucks are hydraulic rear winch, that could be made to free spool. I am looking at options but with replacement winches costing $1-2k...it will have to wait after we finish the inside of our cabin's kitchen, bathroom and big barn to house my toys!

on a side note I have been following your trucks build up, specifically how you want to get rid of the power divider. Maybe a dumb question but did you rule out a second small engine on the crane similar to modern crane designs? just a humble suggestion as it is my plan when my truck gives me fits.
The winch on the 939 is the same as a 816 it is just driven using a hydraulic motor. The broken one should come out fine with no repairs or clamping, I have removed many. Just unbolt it and pick it up with the crane. As to a replacement stock winch I have them and might could send one your way from the GASS rally. Call me to set it up 601-264-3453

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

USAFNB

CSM Davis - Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. I am not ready to buy a new winch yet but should be soon. I will get in touch then. Another question do you know how much the rear winch weighs for lifting purposes?

Csm Davis

CSM Davis - Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. I am not ready to buy a new winch yet but should be soon. I will get in touch then. Another question do you know how much the rear winch weighs for lifting purposes?
Think it's around 800 pounds, the crane can do it easy.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

USAFNB

Dad and I are planning another trip to the property to get it ready for the M51 (if I buy it), With that in mind we are going to do all new hoses on the crane truck and Cummins 250. I know the lower radiator hose is formed and I found the upper as well. I searched but have not been able to find the sizes (diameter) of other hoses needed on the engine. Any help is greatly appreciated!

USAFNB

Got a lot of work done with the truck this weekend but as always have a few more to-do items and questions for the SS army.

We swapped out all the belts and hoses (radiator removed made it much easier) and we also changed all the fluids on the truck. I was able to get the tach working (the cable was just sitting on top of the engine) but that's when I ran into my first issue. a line coming from the top of the IP is almost directly above where the tach cable threads into the IP. anyone else have this issue?

I also stole a play from Red's play book and built a cover using the stake bed pockets on the wrecker. It looks like something from Mad Max but its dry and very well supported. Thanks Red!

The good news was it fired right up after sitting for 2 months even in mid-30 degree weather. It seems to be idling low (approx. 500-550) is that correct for the Cummins 855? It seems to idle smoother if I peddle it to 600ish.

But by far the best news was the front winch which I thought was broken due to a booger'd up PTO shaft key WORKS! I tinkered with the linkage and we got it to engage (linkage seems worn so it may need work but I guess that's expected on a 40+ year old vehicle)

Truck got a free wash thanks to mother nature and looks pretty decent minus bent up front bumper.

Next big task is unraveling the now functional front winch! thank goodness I just bought a Ford 3500 Industrial loader tractor that should help.

any thoughts on the tach cable issue?

and of course pictures of the clean truck, mid-cover installation and finished product
Wrecker (int).jpgWrecker 3 (int).jpgWrecker 2 (int).jpg

red

Although I'd love to take credit for the original cover setup using the wood/tarp, that was Valence. My setup using a m36 cover to make a bimini top with awning isn't complete yet.

For idle mine is at 600-650rpm, nice and smooth.

USAFNB

So it has been little while since I've been able to work on the wrecker, military life has gotten in the way. I'm getting ready for an extended tdy so I have just been compiling parts for our next trip down. The plan of action for next trip is:
- Unwind/ correctly wind the front winch
- Replace the engine throttle cable
- Install all body panels
- Adjust the idle to fix low rough idle

This should set the truck up well to build my barn! Pictures to come sometime in April.

Until then pictures from mowed cabin on last trip before Christmas. 20171028_155122.jpg

USAFNB

So I finally was able to peal away from work for a weekend and do some work to the 816 and cabin. Truck fired right up, I adjusted the idle to correct level and installed a new throttle cable and also found a replacement rear winch(Thanks Ferroequinologist!) We also moved the Suburban work truck down and finished electric in the cabin. Next big step for wrecker is getting the barn built so it can be under cover.

Still lots to do on the wrecker but should be moving my new M109 box down (Thanks 816Mac!)soon so that may take my attention temporarily.IMG_20180422_080248289.jpg
20130722_170557.jpg
IMG_20180422_081942055_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180318_114614238_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

USAFNB

Last week Simp5782 aka Wes helped me moved my new to me track loader to the property, he did a great job so if you need help hauling hit that man up. I wish I had gotten pictures of his truck and trailer it was pretty awesome. I also picked up a 22x26 military heavy tarp for temporary cover while we build the barn. I'm sure the crane truck will come in handy for that. Pictures of temporary cover building with some 816 help and digging our barn plot will be posted next weekend. For now just the new to me Cat.IMG_20180509_204455349_LL.jpg IMG_20180509_204505615_LL.jpg:tank:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks