• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LS Engine Swap, why?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only reason I can think of that someone would put a gas sucking Chevrolet engine with spark plugs in a HMMWV is because nobody told them that you can buy a turbocharged GEP 6.5 from Southern Metals for peanuts and get all the horsepower a HMMWV will ever need or handle without snapping things off.

Awol

oh **** no, I wasn't talking about an LS being a bad swap for a 6.5/6.5.
I was talking about comparing the LS swap to a duramax/cummins swap.
An LS compared to a Duramax or Cummins is a no brainer when it comes to power & torque, but they're completely different animals.

I can do an 6.0 LQ4 swap for under $2,000 all in. You'll be well over that with a Cummins, and wayyyy over that with a Duramax. Don't get me wrong, I'd love a Cummins or Duramax HMMWV, but it'll get expensive fast.

erasedhammer

The only reason I can think of that someone would put a gas sucking Chevrolet engine with spark plugs in a HMMWV is because nobody told them that you can buy a turbocharged GEP 6.5 from Southern Metals for peanuts and get all the horsepower a HMMWV will ever need or handle without snapping things off.
How much to ship something like that?
I would think Fastenal would give the cheapest price.

Skrilex

Banned
I’m doing my own 12v Cummins swap. I bought an old 92 dodge truck and started parting it out. I’m down to 0$ invested and got to keep the engine, coolers, and trans. So, now the nickel dime starts to get it working, but that’s going to be true of any swap. So it depends greatly on sweat equity.

oh and as for why, well I’ve owned enough of these 6.2 engines to know that they are garbage. And underpowered. 125hp is the rating, and that’s just not enough for a full sized rig in my opinion.

tage

Opinions....
The diesel options aren't cheap to maintain, but that's the price of this hobby.
If you want a ls engine, go for it. And show the rest of us how you did it.

drivebymashing

I dont see how a stock ls engine is going to break half shalfs unless you are rough on it. Just driving it easy. I have a 65 stang i converted to a v8 with a stock 7 inch rear axle. Everyone said it will explode instantly... 500 million burnouts later. Its still together I bought a ford 9 inch to replace it but the stock never broke.

dhaumann69166

Some people love gas burners and some people love diesels but it seems like everyone has wanted a Humvee since they first saw one. They get this idea in their mind of a big, tough, bad ass that can conquer anything. Then they drive one and realize they are far from power houses. That’s when that switch flips in your brain that says I can make this thing mean. After that it all comes down to how much time, money and what you plan to do with it. Most people go small block Chevy on hot rods due to the fact they are cheap, easy to work on and parts are always available. I personally would love to have a duramax in my Humvee but if it ever gets converted it will more than likely be Cummins because of price and less work to install than the duramax.

911joeblow

On the parts failure point...torque is the issue and 6.5T engines make a ton of it. I doubt that much will change on that mark, in fact it will likely be lower TQ and higher HP. Driving style will have more to do with it.

Action

I dont see how a stock ls engine is going to break half shalfs unless you are rough on it. Just driving it easy. I have a 65 stang i converted to a v8 with a stock 7 inch rear axle. Everyone said it will explode instantly... 500 million burnouts later. Its still together I bought a ford 9 inch to replace it but the stock never broke.
I can see a car salesman in the future saying,"It is fine, as long as you drive it easy."

jshummer

I think a LS would be good a good fit. It works in all the full size GM trucks just fine. Reliable cheap parts easy swap to do fuel injected or carburetored. I have a LS2 - aluminum 6.0 in my Corvette no issues. Had a Tahoe with the 5.3. It’ll do highway speeds, pull a boat, run on regular gas, and have 300-500hp of torque to pull you over any obstacles naturally aspirated no problem. A $500-$700 5.3 iron LS will turn decent gas mileage and do everything these NA 6.2 and 6.5s will. I sold my 5.3 Tahoe with 268,000 miles and counting for $1500. You could buy a whole 5.3 truck at salavge auction that runs and drives for <$2000 or an old Escalade or Denali to get a 6.0. I think these trucks have 4L60E but if one has a 4L80e u could have a whole gas swap right there and sell/scrap the the rest of the truck

Last edited:

jshummer

Also an LS swap is so easy. 12v to the harness, carb kit, needs low profile intake and carb cleaner, high alternator mount to keep any fording ability, flexplate adapter for the old 3l80e and some routing of the hoses. Bolt in.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I dont know if any of you guys remember but when the Hummers were first available at the dealers, it was a long time ago and of course it was ONLY the H1. The vehicles were stupid expensive and for the type of folks buying them they were considered slow pigs on power, the suspension sucked and they were loud and stinky. Well there was a company who would come pick up your Hummer that you just bought and would eliminate ALL these problematic areas for you. If I remember right it would cost you about another 75K and you would get back a Hummer with a fairly stout BBC, they were in the 500 to 600 hp range, the suspension would be all softened up so that those little bumps didnt bruise you, the buyer got to pick out the type of exhaust noise they wanted and there was NO diesel smell.
The really smart part was the company offered a bumper to bumper full warranty for the vehicle, it covered everything and only cost 14K per year! That is MY favorite part!
KK

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks