• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LS Engine Swap, why?

AOR

Is the fuel pump for an LS on the motor?
No they can use an electric fuel pump mounted between the fuel tank and fuel rail. I am no expect on LS engines but I think they came out around 2000 or so and they came in several variations. Some came in trucks and others came in cars. Some are all aluminum and they are light and fit into compact engine bays and the aftermarket support is huge for them.
Every junk yard probably has several in their inventory and from what I am told they are not expensive to obtain. I ended up putting a 6.4 SRT8 470 HP engine in my personal Wrangler and if I were to do it again I would probably go LS because the weight and cost of the Hemi. Also not many companies offer support for Hemi engines in non factory applications unlike the LS there are is huge network for them

Last edited:

JoeJrTheBarber

First LS based engine was the LS1 that came out in the 1997 Corvette C5.
If you shop smart you can get a "junkyard" LS motor and trans out of a wrecked car or truck for under $5k..

Dock Rocker

First LS based engine was the LS1 that came out in the 1997 Corvette C5.
If you shop smart you can get a "junkyard" LS motor and trans out of a wrecked car or truck for under $5k..
Under $5K? You mean under $1k?

I just picked up a sub 80k 5.3 for $700 with the harness and box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jshummer

Right for 5k you can buy a whole running 1500 - 2500 series GM truck or van with a 5.3 or 6.0. You could find a camaro or transam too with aluminum 5.7 LS1 but those are harder to find cheap

BC08FA6B-BB5A-48DC-AF01-5A097F581E4F.jpg5084493A-C0FC-480F-B0D1-69C0231A8BDC.jpg

Last edited:

JoeJrTheBarber

Under $5K? You mean under $1k?

I just picked up a sub 80k 5.3 for $700 with the harness and box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A 5.3L will always be a cheaper buy then a LS1/2/3/6 etc.
I also said for around the $5k price that comes with a trans too.
Your not getting a LS with a trans for a grand, and if you are their both junk..
Let the Internet crap talking begin !

jkcondrey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not gonna crap talk, but 5k is way off. In the way of hemi's, I've personally bought and installed two 5.7's in JK wranglers and bought each, with transmissions for under 2k. One had less than 12k miles on it. Price depends on who you go see. Get to know a local salvage yard, put your name down for what you need, they'll call you. Most done want to have those laying around taking up more space, so you can get them for a steal at times. Early ls's go for 500 to 700 here locally. Trans for 350. And for the two hemis, I put another 80k miles on one before I sold it, no problems. The other is still going too. I've been looking at ls's for a while, not for my hmmwv but for a wagoneer project. Still debating that or another hemi. I just plan on running my 6.2 until it pukes, rebuild and go at it again, but that's because I enjoy the work.

Last edited:

Agelai

Get some
350hp/400tq LS swap you need: LS carb swap (700) LS to big block motor mounts (100) flexplate adapter to th400 ($200). Exhaust manifolds and hoses, 12v converter, electric fuel pump, possibly an oil pan that fits junkyard or fleabay, maybe remote oil filter kit. Pretty standard fare off the shelf parts at summit and jegs.
This what I was wondering, what parts are needed for the swap, and how much each would run.

LS Carb Swap $700 (not sure what you mean by this)
Big Block Motor Mounts $100
Flexplate Adapter to TH400 $200
Exhaust Manifolds $
Hoses $
12v converter, unless the whole system was changed over $
Electric Fuel Pump $
Oil Pan $
Remote Oil Filter Kit $

What else

Motor (depends on version) $
Transmission (depends on version) $
Exhaust and Muffler (customer assuming) $
Computer or Standalone $

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Holy Rat Block Batman, this thread has unfortunately come alive after four years of mercifully being dead.

Don’t forget that you would need to convert the entire vehicle to 12 V and that means installing a fuse box in order to get rid of the protective control box. Do you really want to do at least 48 hours worth of wiring

LS1Humvee

I did the LS swap and it was one of the easiest steps I have done and a lot of it was done by my 13 year old . I posted in the HMMWV hot rod and mod section . I have done a few other LS swaps over the last 20 years . There is so much room to work under the hood of these trucks and also under them LOL.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks