• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2000 mile road trip in an FMTV

Recce01

Hello All,
I am in need of a little advice and expertise. If you are going to call me an idiot, there is a line. Simply type "Que", and I'll let you know when it is your turn :)

A few admissions....
I have never owned a diesel
I have only driven a 6x6 once (it was a Mercedes Dakar support truck in Mauritania for about 60 miles in the big sand dunes)
I will have to fly there to drive it home, so I can only bring what I can on the plane

I intend to bring home a 1997 M1083 (this will be a purchase from a private party, not an auction recovery)

I have researched and discovered the following common problems:
nut backs off of air pump
bolts get loose on torque converter

I have a few questions:

If you were in my position, what spares you source before starting the road trip?

What preventative maintenance would you do?

What common failure points are you aware of? (besides what I listed above)

What tips do you have for driving on the highway? (besides don't)

I will source basic hand tools, and those tools required to change tires etc.

The vehicle has been very well taken care of, all the basics have been looked after (fluids etc.)

Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited:

scottmandu

Hello All,
I am in need of a little advice and expertise. If you are going to call me an idiot, there is a line. Simply type "Que", and I'll let you know when it is your turn :)

A few admissions....
I have never owned a diesel
I have only driven a 6x6 once (it was a Mercedes Dakar support truck in Mauritania for about 60 miles in the big sand dunes)
I will have to fly there to drive it home, so I can only bring what I can on the plane

I intend to bring home a 1997 M1083 (this will be a purchase from a private party, not an auction recovery)

I have researched and discovered the following common problems:
nut backs off of air pump
bolts get loose on torque converter

I have a few questions:

If you were in my position, what spares you source before starting the road trip?

What preventative maintenance would you do?

What common failure points are you aware of? (besides what I listed above)

What tips do you have for driving on the highway? (besides don't)

I will source basic hand tools, and those tools required to change tires etc.

The vehicle has been very well taken care of, all the basics have been looked after (fluids etc.)

Thanks in advance for your help!
I'd bring a loaded grease gun
set of fuel lines
spare trans selector pad
a couple each of the different relays
tool set
38mm socket 20 ton bottle jack long breaker bar 7/8 wrench (for tires changes)
spare light control
spare trans computer

Recce01

I'd bring a loaded grease gun
set of fuel lines
spare trans selector pad
a couple each of the different relays
tool set
38mm socket 20 ton bottle jack long breaker bar 7/8 wrench (for tires changes)
spare light control
spare trans computer
Thank you! Is there a good place to source some of the spares you have recommended? Preferably a vendor on SS?
I also need to speak with you about A/C systems when the time comes!

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's like a $3000 list of parts to bring. At that point, you might as well just pay $3000 to have it shipped.

I don't know if you can realistically "predict" any parts to bring. Tools sure, but parts-wise you never know what is going to break, and there really aren't any "these things happen all the time so always carry one" items. Look at the shotgun pattern of posts on this forum - water pumps, oil lines, coolant lines, fuel lines, tires, transmission computers, relays, etc.

I would instead try to plan for flexibility. Try to get some insurance on it that offers fantastic towing assistance, even if you only get it for a month at a big premium. Bring...

tools,
o-ring kits,
rubber hoses in a couple sizes,
hose clamp assortment,
metric bolts in several sizes (M4-M10) and lengths,
a Dremel (including cut-off wheel to shorten long bolts),
mini-sledge,
buckets,
extra fluids,
ratchet straps,
a cheap bicycle off Craigslist,
instant gasket,
printed manuals,
etc.

See the pattern here? Stuff to fix the truck on the side of the road at least to limp it to a safer spot or garage. If you have some of that stuff already, maybe ship it there ahead of yourself to save from having to buy duplicates?

You might drive it 20,000 miles without issue, or you might have 5 separate $500 failures in this trip alone. It's anyone's guess.

Also, plan your route, and take the time to find heavy duty truck service companies in each major metropolitan area you plan to go through. Take those numbers, along with contact info for military vehicle parts sellers and members from these forums.

Murphy's Law... the more you plan for, the less will happen.

Last edited:

Recce01

That's like a $3000 list of parts to bring. At that point, you might as well just pay $3000 to have it shipped.

I don't know if you can realistically "predict" any parts to bring. Tools sure, but parts-wise you never know what is going to break, and there really aren't any "these things happen all the time so always carry one" items. Look at the shotgun pattern of posts on this forum - water pumps, oil lines, coolant lines, fuel lines, tires, transmission computers, relays, etc.

I would instead try to plan for flexibility. Try to get some insurance on it that offers fantastic towing assistance, even if you only get it for a month at a big premium. Bring...

tools,
o-ring kits,
hose clamp assortment,
mini-sledge,
buckets,
extra fluids,
ratchet straps,
instant gasket,
printed manuals,
etc.

See the pattern here? Stuff to fix the truck on the side of the road at least to limp it to a safer spot or garage. If you have some of that stuff already, maybe ship it there ahead of yourself to save from having to buy duplicates?

You might drive it 20,000 miles without issue, or you might have 5 separate $500 failures in this trip alone. It's anyone's guess.

Also, plan your route, and take the time to find heavy duty truck service companies in each major metropolitan area you plan to go through. Take those numbers, along with contact info for military vehicle parts sellers and members from these forums.

good ideas! Thank you!!

Rmtaunton

Tools !! And fluids , it's a cat motor parts are every where .

My advice drive it !

It's an adventure you will never forget and yes you may break down and most likely will but most times a hammer and screw drive little bailing wire will get you to somewhere for parts .

Butt really it's and adventure I have done 3 at about 2100 miles total two had problems but they were simple .

NJ, VA and LA,,, ok one was not military but still buying a 3500 dollar f7000 with a crane on it 900 miles away was a risk ha

Last edited:

Rmtaunton

Wes you always are , and it your prices I would be able to stay at a hotel for a month till you had the time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Wes you always are , and it your prices I would be able to stay at a hotel for a month till you had the time

But you don't venture far from home in yours though

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Rmtaunton

But you don't venture far from home in yours though

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Wes what I meant was you are so cheap I could stay at hotel for a month and still save money before you got to me

Trust me as we all know a commercial tow is 600 to the next exit

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's an adventure you will never forget and yes you may break down and most likely will but most times a hammer and screw drive little bailing wire will get you to somewhere for parts .
I wish I had your luck. It seems like when mine breaks it does so spectacularly, and it can't get running until I find some obscure military-only parts, have parts custom made, rebuild something, etc. I've yet to have an issue that I could even get the truck somewhere without parts. I even cracked a block and destroyed an entire engine due to a driveshaft vibration. Recently someone tried to drive a truck home from auction, had the brakes go out, and rear ended someone.

The decision to drive it probably has a number of factors. It's going to eat ~$900 in diesel to drive it 2000 miles. So it ends up being a series of calculated risks. Do you spend ~$1000 to try to drive it, but could end up with thousands in repairs and towing (or paying to ship it anyways, etc.)? Or do you ship it from the start and pay $3000, but you know it gets home? The way my luck goes (poorly) I couldn't be convinced to drive a just-purchased truck that far.

As far as driving it home though, you might look into the FMTV battle damage repair kits that float around for sale. You might be able to find what is in one and buy that stuff, or get one of the real kits at a reasonable price (for what's in it, anyway).

Last edited:

Recce01

I wish I had your luck. It seems like when mine breaks it does so spectacularly, and it can't get running until I find some obscure military-only parts, have parts custom made, rebuild something, etc. I've yet to have an issue that I could even get the truck somewhere without parts. I even cracked a block and destroyed an entire engine due to a driveshaft vibration. Recently someone tried to drive a truck home from auction, had the brakes go out, and rear ended someone.

The decision to drive it probably has a number of factors. It's going to eat ~$900 in diesel to drive it 2000 miles. So it ends up being a series of calculated risks. Do you spend ~$1000 to try to drive it, but could end up with thousands in repairs and towing (or paying to ship it anyways, etc.)? Or do you ship it from the start and pay $3000, but you know it gets home? The way my luck goes (poorly) I couldn't be convinced to drive a just-purchased truck that far.

As far as driving it home though, you might look into the FMTV battle damage repair kits that float around for sale. You might be able to find what is in one and buy that stuff, or get one of the real kits at a reasonable price (for what's in it, anyway).
I have read about your LMTV issues. I really appreciate you sharing what has happened as much as I feel for your troubles. It will have me checking the u-joint alignment before I leave. It is posts like yours that bring heartbreak and fear, yet you teach and inform. For that my friend, I appreciate your resolve. Shipping came in at $4200+, and that is a good price from a solid vendor here on SS. My wife said, if you want me to go around the country with you, the least you can do is go and pick it up and drive it home... LOL.

I am not aware of the kit you are referring to, can you drop a link for me?

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't have a link, sorry. I've seen them on eBay.

I'm not sure if I posted about it, but my front shaft wasn't just put back together "out of phase" (twisted), but also had excessive runout and balance problems after being reassembled correctly. Tolerance is 0.005" for runout, and mine was at 0.057"... about 10x.

Recce01

It's really the best course of action, our goal is to make an expedition truck and live out of it. Constantly on the road, waking up somewhere new every day. I'd much rather be without wife and dog (read kid), and deal with the issues that want to present themselves early in the game. Can I expect failures? Sure, everything fails at some point. But, If I can accomplish a successful trip home with at least basic provisions, it would be a huge win and a step toward the dream. If it goes mammories up, well.... that would suck.

Recce01

I don't have a link, sorry. I've seen them on eBay.

I'm not sure if I posted about it, but my front shaft wasn't just put back together "out of phase" (twisted), but also had excessive runout and balance problems after being reassembled correctly. Tolerance is 0.005" for runout, and mine was at 0.057"... about 10x.
That's good to know! What is used to measure this? Is there more information about this spec and how to confirm compliance?

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It can only be measured while the shaft is out of the truck, and installed in a lathe (or other precision rotating machine). That's why I mentioned it, because there is no way to check or know. If you start to have an issue, and it could be vibration related (e.g. water pump bolts coming loose), it would be a place to have in the back of your mind.

You can check the driveline for play. The u-joints shouldn't move side to side, for example.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So here is my thoughts for what they are worth. Pay a local person or service to get the truck off the lot and in safe hands first. Arrange to have the basics checked immediately: drain a little oil out of everything to check for water/crud; check the oil level in the front portals. CORRECTLY. Now a small drive to make sure it "feels" right. If all is well, buy your ticket and plan one or two days at the pickup point really getting to know it and make adjustments if necessary. Change the fuel filters. Post up here your route and timeline. We are a great group that will cheer you on or get hands dirty if the need arises. I love driving mine. Where is your route anyway?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

tools,
o-ring kits,
hose clamp assortment,
mini-sledge,
buckets,
extra fluids,
ratchet straps,
instant gasket,
printed manuals,
etc.

You can also pick up a few items at the other end. Harbor Fright locations are handy to know for disposable tools. My experience is not from FMTV stuff but still may help. Head light style flashlight, assortment of brass compression fittings, jump box for various reasons. Walmart has a multi function one made by Shumacher for a hun. Add these to the above list and you should have a decent road patch kit.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks