• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2000 mile road trip in an FMTV

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So here is my thoughts for what they are worth. Pay a local person or service to get the truck off the lot and in safe hands first. Arrange to have the basics checked immediately: drain a little oil out of everything to check for water/crud; check the oil level in the front portals. CORRECTLY. Now a small drive to make sure it "feels" right. If all is well, buy your ticket and plan one or two days at the pickup point really getting to know it and make adjustments if necessary. Change the fuel filters. Post up here your route and timeline. We are a great group that will cheer you on or get hands dirty if the need arises. I love driving mine. Where is your route anyway?
I intend to bring home a 1997 M1083 (this will be a purchase from a private party, not an auction recovery)
Reading comprehension, it's a lost art... aua

At least you get a participation award!

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I read the thread and didn't see where you are picking the truck up from?

I had a guy and his brother fly to Dayton and buy a Deuce from me and drove it to Amarillo, TX. The only problem was a broken fan belt and I had included a new set of belts with the truck, along with a bunch of parts, flashlight, gloves and a new multi-meter from Harbor Freight (the cheap one).

They had nothing but a very small bag with clothes, money and I'm guessing credit cards and no tools.

But 2,100 miles puts you right around me is why I ask. (I've driven that a couple of times when I lived in SD.)

tobyS

A friend has hauled for as little as $1 per mile, but fuel is up a bit. I can't pay to travel, stay, fuel and that ever looming breakdown tow for less than about $2. But never bought the newer SS, just 939 series and a couple deuces. 16 hauled.

It's good that it's in a private persons hands, as they can tell you a lot (if they are driving it regularly). Good luck.

MrsRecce01

I would instead try to plan for flexibility. Try to get some insurance on it that offers fantastic towing assistance, even if you only get it for a month at a big premium.

Murphy's Law... the more you plan for, the less will happen.

I'll be calling around for insurance today, starting with AAA. When they ask me what kind of vehicle it is, I'm guessing I'm going to get puzzled reactions when they don't find "Stewart & Stevenson" between "Scion" and "Subaru" on the drop down list.

Does anyone have the magic words I need to say to get a real quote on insuring one of these?

Thanks,
The Wife

snowtrac nome

The insurance guys in the commercial insurance world who will cover it, will know Stewart Stevenson, there the guys who do private auto insurance wont have a clue, use the insurance sticky for a list of vendors it works. Fwiw flo hooked me up with a commercial policy that I found affordable, again info straight from the sticky, but call the 1800 number, the local brokers don't seem to know about it.

Recce01

Why are we avoiding the "what's your route" question?
I have not figured out the exact route as of yet, I also haven't posted where I am getting the truck from out of respect for the current owner. He didn't ask me to keep him out of it, I just felt it was right as we hadn't made a deal, and I didn't want to turn away any other potential buyers.

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have not figured out the exact route as of yet, I also haven't posted where I am getting the truck from out of respect for the current owner. He didn't ask me to keep him out of it, I just felt it was right as we hadn't made a deal, and I didn't want to turn away any other potential buyers.
Thank you Scott. I think we are now far enough along in our planning for this transfer that we can share... Nashville to San Diego. Some of you may have seen his thread in the "transportation needs" section.
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...quote-M1083-from-Nashville-TN-to-San-Diego-CA
I'm doing all I can ahead of Recce01 flying into Nashville to make sure the truck is ready. Some of you may have caught my 1083 thread and know that I've recently changed out all 7 tires. I feel this was one of the major hurdles with this truck, but there are other bases we are covering. I've kept up on fluids in hubs, diffs, engine, tranny, etc. We have four good 6TL batteries, system charges, lights work (except dash lights :0( I'm going to check air pump and alternator mount bolts this weekend and try to change the fan/alt belts. Will also try to get the front cover off the engine and check/tighten the air pump gear shaft bolt.

Recce01 will have as good of a chance for a enjoyable trip as any here I expect!

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could take a semitrailer full of spares and tools and the odds are you wouldn't need what you brought, but you may very well need something else....

This isn't an auction truck. (I've done bunches of those)

You plan to drive it all over after you get it home. Roll the dice and make the trip. Bring funds. Plan 400mi/day. Figure $2500 for the trip. Don't drive tired. If you're too tired to change a super single by yourself, or too tired to walk to the next exit then you're too tired to drive.

It'll be an adventure . It'll be fun, even if you break down and have to yell for help.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks