• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2000 mile road trip in an FMTV

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's way better to know it came from another forum member. Many of these trucks seem to be owned by yahoos that only make me wonder how they manage to keep them running, or people buy them at auction and manage to just barely get them running again to sell (which means it's not much better than an auction truck). At least with a forum member you know they're aware of what's going on with the trucks.

I'm in the Denver area if you're passing through on I-70.

Reworked LMTV

I have not figured out the exact route as of yet, I also haven't posted where I am getting the truck from out of respect for the current owner. He didn't ask me to keep him out of it, I just felt it was right as we hadn't made a deal, and I didn't want to turn away any other potential buyers.
I will give you some extra relays for the trip. If you tell can tell me what route you are taking, I will meet you at one the exits. They are new. Relays can go bad and that can mean things like " No headlights".

Last edited:

Recce01

I will give you some extra relays for the trip. If you tell can tell me what route you are taking, I will meet you at one the exits. They are new. Relays can go bad and that can mean things like " No headlights".
Thank you very much Reworked LMTV !!! Pretty sure we might straight shoot the 40. Will be working it out over the next few days.

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seller update:
I’m working in support of this journey by checking and repairing a few small items prior to Recca01 arriving in Nashville. Here is a brief update:
AB1AD2E2-1BF6-4019-9199-CE22D9932BEE.jpg
1. Moved several tires around on the truck to get the best ride.
2. Checked air compressor mounts and gear nut. It was tight! I was able to remove the engine front cover and sneak a wrench in there without removing all the plumbing in that area. Applied lock tite on the mount and cover bolts

3. Repair dash gauge lights. Turns out the wire for the dimmer switch was disconnected behind the instrument panel. They all work well now!
4. Washed all the windows.
5. Aimed the headlights (they were like a cross-eyed, near-sighted hound dog)
6. Topped off fluid in hydraulic pump for cab and spare tire lift.
T-minus 7 days and counting. I am traveling a few days for work this week, but will have next weekend to address any last minute items.

Attachments

Last edited:

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can meet you somewhere in town this coming Thursday or Fri. to pick up some small items Brit. I think Scott will want to jump on 40 west from the Bellevue area where I live and not come back into town.

Recce01

Seller update:
I’m working in support of this journey by checking and repairing a few small items prior to Recca01 arriving in Nashville. Here is a brief update:

1. Moved several tires around on the truck to get the best ride.
2. Checked air compressor mounts and gear nut. It was tight! I was able to remove the engine front cover and sneak a wrench in there without removing all the plumbing in that area. Applied lock tite on the mount and cover bolts

3. Repair dash gauge lights. Turns out the wire for the dimmer switch was disconnected behind the instrument panel. They all work well now!
4. Washed all the windows.
5. Aimed the headlights (they were like a cross-eyed, near-sighted hound dog)

T-minus 7 days and counting. I am traveling a few days for work this week, but will have next weekend to address any last minute items.

I am am so very grateful for your time and efforts TNriverjet!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!

10Lugger

Great thread! Having a bicycle had me laughing out loud. We have had ours for 2 years now and it works weekly. Good luck to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Recce01

Yes, that's fine.
Thanks guys!

Just ordered more 24 volt 5 pin relays. Should arrive Wednesday.
I really appreciate you sourcing these for our adventure. Please make sure to let me know what resources you expelled so I can take care of it!

Great thread! Having a bicycle had me laughing out loud. We have had ours for 2 years now and it works weekly. Good luck to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you!

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
you will need gear oil for the front hubs ( they do dry out fast). I'd advise staying in the far right lane. Use a GPS and know your turns as you approach them.
Doug, are you saying the hubs will “use” oil on a long trip? I’ve checked the oil in the hubs in July. I’ve seen no
leakage since. I will check them again, but haven’t heard of them using up the oil. There have been lots of reports of hubs that were not serviced right and are run with low/no oil. This is common on auction trucks. I understand this is a regular PMCS item, but have a hard time believing the oil will run low on a trip barring any seal failures. Let us know your experiences.

coachgeo

Interesting. It could just be your picture, but my gauges are not nearly that bright, even on full brightness. They are barely visible, even it very dark conditions. I guess I'll have to look into that.
his light different too. Mine are back lit not digit lit. His Look sweet.

For your dim issues... ran into this over last few days too. Apparently my finger has been brushing the dash lights rheostat knob just to the right of the light switch as I put them on. Kept turning down the lights.. thought I was loosing them. Today when turning on the lights held my hands different and my finger brushed the rheostat and turned the lights back up. I felt pretty stupid.. but glad it was a very simple fix. lol

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks