• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

803 Bogs Down and dies at 85% Load

USAMilRet

Did you check the cracking pressure before and after cleaning it? Did it change?
I just closed it up. I still need to replace SEAL,PLAIN ENCASED, PART OF KIT P/N 188-6213, on the COVER, GEAR as it is leaking oil at the seal and I think the I would need to drain the oil before I could replace the seal, cover, gear.

USAMilRet

Some information on the rebuild process. Then engine and generator were separated and the engine was totally torn down as indicated in the pictures in the other thread. The crank is original. The cam is original. The governor is original. The oil pump is original. The piston and rods are original as they are in spec. The water pump is new. The piston pins and associated hardware are new. The rings are new and aligned properly according to the TM. All the bearings and seals were replaced. The oil filter was replaced. The fuel water filter was replaced. The oil is 10W40 Diesel but it is not a break in oil. The cylinders were in spec and the sleeves/walls were honed. The upper had a valve job done and two valves were replaced. All valve seals and other serviceable items were replaced. Pushrods were replaced if needed. There are four new fuel injectors and injector heads and copper washers. One of the injector metering pumps was replaced. Fuel lines were replaced. And a number of other things that I have since forgotten.

This is pretty much a complete rebuild

Suffice it to say that the engine, both the upper and lower ends, were rebuilt in Dec 17. The source has over 10 years experience in refurbing MEP's and selling them. He was assisted by a trained diesel mechanic.

Last edited:

USAMilRet

Howdy,
Some of your answers are too short.

Rebuild = rebuilt by the guy you bought the unit from. (does he know what he's doing?)
How much of a rebuild was done? Why did that person rebuild it?

Was a new hour meter installed by the guy that did this rebuild?

Note:
John Deere break-in oil is not a golden honey color oil. The break-in oil is a dark hue with a greenish tint to it.

Add-on
after watching your video. I would ask what does the exhaust smell like? Are the rings correctly installed. Is the unit running on oil.
In ref to the add on, I did not really notice an unusual smell. Rings are installed correctly.....see my post above on engine rebuild. It looks like it was eating some oil. I agree that the rings are not seated properly yet. Working on getting so break in diesel oil. Many people say it does not exist.

gatorbob

Working on getting so break in diesel oil. Many people say it does not exist.
If you are in north/central Florida, Beard Equipment sells the JD break in oil. From the JD dealer locator website, none of the residential/consumer stores stocked anything for the JD diesel products. They all had products for specifically for the smaller gasoline mowers/tractors. I had to start calling the dealers that cater to business/industrial customers.

justacitizen

the JD break in oil is formulated to meet standards as not to mess up the diesel particulate emissions systems on the tractors. the MEP gensets don't have DPF on their exhausts. i wouldn't use a 10w30 in the onan diesel. most break in oil for these type is just a non detergent single viscosity. i would use a good 30wt regular diesel engine oil and run the set at variable loads to break it in. after that for simplicity i would run 15w40 in it all the time. unless you are arctic of course

https://www.scribd.com/document/108661479/MEP-802A-Lubrication-Order-LO9-6115-641-12

Last edited:

justacitizen

you can get non detergent 30wt and put a touch of STP or other zinc additive of your choice. i have had to use Bon Ami to seat rings in the past. usually on an engine with glazed rings. fullers earth will work also but is more aggressive.

USAMilRet

Can't find any diesel break in oil locally. Have some on order. For the time being, I am going to use Valvoline Premium Blue 15W-40 as it is endorsed by Cummings for use in their engines. Will add some zinc additive for the break in. This will have to hold me until the break in oil arrives.

The builder told me that the oil and fuel/water filters are new. There was supposed to be a new air filter installed as well. Well, the air filter is the ORIGINAL that was installed when the generator set was built. So I am going to replace all the filter anyways, new air, oil, and fuel/H2O filter. Have them on hand.

Got my front seal today so that will get installed as well.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
Let's clear some things up.

The Letterkenny army depot uses John Deere break-in plus oil. They fill MEP rebuild units with that oil. A 100 hour change oil tag is attached.

John Deere Break-In Plus can be gotten at any John Deere dealer.

Breaking in any engine is important for the life of the engine.

Last edited:

gatorbob

Howdy,
Let's clear some things up.

The Letterkenny army depot uses John Deere break-in plus oil. They fill MEP rebuild units with that oil. A 100 hour change oil tag is attached.

John Deere Break-In Plus can be gotten at any John Deere dealer.

Breaking in any engine is important for the life of the engine.
And it's fine that it's 10W-30, right? IIRC, that's the only weight I could buy.

Do they use any oil additives as was being discussed earlier in the thread?

USAMilRet

I am aware of all this. However, today I was speaking with a former master mechanic generator guy who became an instructor and continued teaching for 30 years. He said don't waste your money on a gimmic like break in oil for diesel engines. He said you should only and always use the same type of diesel oil (conventional vs synthetic). He recommended the Valvoline Premium Blue that was designed by Cumings for use in all heir diesel engines.

When I asked about the detergent, he said does not matter and neither did the increased zinc content. Just use 15W-40 made for diesels and stick with it.

I also have an long haul driver friend who says the same thing about break in oil for diesels.....waste of money.

So now I'm iffy on it but if Letterkenny uses break in oil, so will I. Why doesn't the TM or LO specify a type of break in oil?

Guyfang

Staff member
Because because when the gen set is shipped out from any repair facility, it has breaking oil in it. At 100 hours, the user replaces it. Letterkenny is not the only place that does reset.

justacitizen

in my opinion i would be more concerned with the weight of the oil. the TM calls for 30w or 15w40 unless in arctic conditions. i don't know if the JD oil in reference is 10w30 or in 30w,JD is a big company and uses many different engines and buys many different oils and has many different specs. if i was concerned enough "which i am not" to only use JD oil then i would at least make sure it lined up with the TM and use "John Deere 30w break in oil". in the referenced engine before i tore into it i would change to 30 or 40wt oil and recheck OP to confirm i even had a problem in the first place. if the rings are glazed as it appears in the vid i would attempt to deglaze them by running it with normal oil and a combination of hard running and soft at many rpm levels and if that didn't work after many hours i would use Bonami and if that didn't work move to disassemble and replace rings from there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks