• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bobed deuce on 53" xzl's

55Cameo

Thanks everyone, it's good to hear positive comments after all that was involved. I can't wait to go to the rally. It looks like I might only be able to attend 1 day Sat or Sun. I hope that I can come longer.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Might want to choose Sat over Sunday if you can. Some folk have a long ride and will be bugging out Sunday. Saturday should be quite a hoot!

SuperJoe

did any pics with the bed ever surface? very interested to see them. also if we could see a straight side view to see the lenghten on the rear wheel base that would be great too. things are looking great. keep it up

55Cameo

I believe that the only bumper height restrictions apply to vehicles under 5000lbs. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I know that there is a headlight height restriction of 53" from center of headlight to the ground or less that I need to address. I am, however, going to be putting another bumper upside down under the current front bumper like another truck that I saw on the website(can't remember the persons name though). It was the one with the utility bed on it. I think that I can mount a set of lights between the bumpers inside the 'fishmouth'.

sweetk30

few questions.

#1 = is there a way to keep some kind of mech linkage of steering. as my state requires mech linkage. other than that anything else goes. and i know with those tires non power is going to be a killer.

#2 = were did the wheels come from ? and how much ?

#3 = how is the power to tire ratio when shifting and driving on the road and offroad? do you plan or need to bump up the power?

#4 = why rear axle back 10" from stockish?

reason i ask is this is about how i want to do mine up when i get one soon. i have a local yard with lots of runnin trucks and good parts yard out back. so scrounging up this stuff like you did will be no problems.

thanks for the buildup and pics with good info. keep it up.

p.s. guy i work with use to live in florida. he was wondering if those mud pics were lakeland mud hole or not. he use to play there all the time.

55Cameo

There are a lot of discussions on this site about putting power steering onto a Deuce using a power steering gearbox from a 5 ton or f700 or something like that. You would need to make a column though for the box sitting on the lower frame section to make the hookup to the axle O.K. The wheels came from USA 6x6. I would not recommend them to my worst enemy!!!! Lies, Lies, Lies and then some. The quality of the wheels is fine for a mud truck, but past that, not very pretty. I believe there are some people on here that can make you better wheels. These are 2 piece with internal beadlocks. The cost was about $1,400 for the set. The tires are available on E-bay for about $400 plus shipping for a set of 4. The power is fine with the bigger tires. I think that removing all of the rear suspension, 1 axle and shorter bed it removes enough weight that the power is about the same with the big tires. I know that the top speed is a lot higher! I don't plan to increase the power. I moved the rear axle back because if you don't, the right rear tire won't clear the fuel tank and front mud flap. The left rear won't clear the spare or the front mud flap. I don't plan on keeping the spare, but the fuel tank is staying. Some people relocate the tank into the bed.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are not needing the top end speed, might consider switching to the 3052 tranny. Direct 5th and all the gears are a tad deeper.

55Cameo

Is this a direct swap? Clutch, driveshaft and everything? I do need to put a clutch in immediately, but I don't have enough 'road' time to see if I still need or want the overdrive.

M1075

55Cameo said:
The wheels came from USA 6x6. I would not recommend them to my worst enemy!!!! Lies, Lies, Lies and then some.
:shock: I thought USA6x6 would have their act together by now. I guess some things never change.

55Cameo

No they haven't gotten any better. I ordered rebuilt and shortened axles for another project that I am building along with the wheels. Axles were supposed to have chrome moly lockers, they came with mild steel lockers (I paid for chrome moly). The 4 wheel disc brakes weren't set up correctly. The wheel studs were too short. The wheels were made with old rusty and pitted shells, bent lips and bad plasma cutting( I was told that everything would be new). It took 6 months to get most everything( told it would be 3-4 weeks when it was ordered and paid for) and nothing was correct. That was after dozens of calls to find out where my stuff was and lie after lie about delivery times. I had to go to Randy Overson to get the chrome moly lockers (Great guy and awesome products, by the way) also got some of his 2" chrome moly rear axles and locker for my other project.(delivered exactly when promised). Sorry for running on, but they really ticked me off for a long time! I still need to get some nice wheels for my other truck if anyone knows of someone that can make them.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
55, the 3052 swap is a direct replacement for the 3053A that you have. Its the same case for both trannys. Matt might still have one. They pop up every so often and usually inexpensive. It also gets rid of the crazy h shift pattern.

deloit

55Cameo said:
No they haven't gotten any better. I ordered rebuilt and shortened axles for another project that I am building along with the wheels. Axles were supposed to have chrome moly lockers, they came with mild steel lockers (I paid for chrome moly). The 4 wheel disc brakes weren't set up correctly. The wheel studs were too short. The wheels were made with old rusty and pitted shells, bent lips and bad plasma cutting( I was told that everything would be new). It took 6 months to get most everything( told it would be 3-4 weeks when it was ordered and paid for) and nothing was correct. That was after dozens of calls to find out where my stuff was and lie after lie about delivery times. I had to go to Randy Overson to get the chrome moly lockers (Great guy and awesome products, by the way) also got some of his 2" chrome moly rear axles and locker for my other project.(delivered exactly when promised). Sorry for running on, but they really ticked me off for a long time! I still need to get some nice wheels for my other truck if anyone knows of someone that can make them.
Check out these guys. http://www.stazworks.com/rims.htm You also can search about them on Pirate4x4
Del

NorthWoodsDuce

Just gave me a lot of ideas for my next deuce.... :)
Also.. Stazworks is not too far from my place, they have a good rep around here for rims and offroad setups.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks