• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bobed deuce on 53" xzl's

55Cameo

Just bobed my deuce last week. I purchased it in Clearwater, Fl. about 3 weeks ago. Lifted 8", removed rear axle, front deuce springs in rear, 53" xzl's on custom wheels, chrome moly locker from overson eng. in rear, full hydro steering from PSC, moved rear axle back 10", lengthened both drive shafts, and took it mudding! Still have to cut down the deuce bed and put in a new clutch. It was starting to go on the drive back from clearwater and the 53" tires did it in. Also drove it 45 miles each way after bob to Horse hole mud boggs in Inglis, Fl on Sat. Did great in the mud, never got stuck and no breakage. Will post more pics after bed installed.

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
RE: Bobed deuce on 53" xzl

Looks great man. Love that color too. :driver: So is that a set of speakers in the hard top? Did you double (height) the front frame for the lift?

55Cameo

Yes, there is a cd player mounted to the hard top and speakers mounted to the back of the top. And yes, I picked up all the stuff to lift it from Matt in Live Oak, Fl. I got a front frame section from another Deuce with springs on it. Cut the rivits and took off the front springs. Welded and gusseted the new frame sections under the old frame. Also got a rear frame section from the same parts Deuce and bolted the old front springs onto it and welded and gusseted it under the rear frame after cutting the rivits off the back suspension and removing the dual axle suspension.

Attachments

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
What did you use to cut the rivets in the rear? Torch or cut off wheel? I'm really kicking around bobbing mine but wondering the easiest way to cut all the rivets. Truck looks great!

55Cameo

I used a torch to cut off the rivet heads then used it to blow out a little of the shank inside. Then immediately use a air hammer with the straight pointed punch to hammer out the rest of the rivet. (Don't do this at night if you have neighbors, it really ticks them off) For the driveshaft angles, in the front I didn't do anything except lengthen the driveshaft 1 1/2". For the rear, I flipped the wedge plates around. I think that they are about 4 degrees. This rotated the pinion up about 8 degrees. Then I lengthened the rear driveshaft 12 1/2" for the lift and moving the axle back. I don't think that you would need to rotate the wedges around because these 1410 joints can take a lot more angle than they have in them now. I just did it to see how it would work out. The rear pinion is pointing almost straight into the driveshaft now. The front has a little angle, but nothing extreme. Everything seemed to work fine so far. I didn't rotate the front because if you do it takes all of the positive caster out and gives it negative caster and the steering wheel won't return to center.(or the other way around)

55Cameo

I will go out and take some front frame pics and get them posted. I was going to go to mudfest, but after the last week and a half thrashing to get this torn apart and back together and still needing to put in a new clutch and cut down the bed, I don't think that I am going. You know, wife says I haven't been spending enough time with her... blah blah... And I'm about worn out. I don't think that I could get everything finished up in time.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you bring that thing down to Clermont for the FL rally 21 thru 24 Feb? Wild truck! Matt will be there along with the rest of us Green freeks!

55Cameo

My plan is to finish it up and bring it to the rally. It's only a couple of hours from me and this thing drives pretty good. Just got to cut down the bed and replace the clutch. Here are the pics of the front frame sections. Also, I have the singles that came off of this truck if anyone is interested in them. They look like they haven't been on here very long and there are 7 of them. The spare has never been on the ground. No idea what they are worth. Pics.

Attachments

55Cameo

Yeah, I figured that if I don't get any bites before then I will just take them with me to the rally. Does anyone know what a set of 7 with very low miles should go for?

tatra813

Very nice custom job!!
Ive seen pics of a guy down there in Florida that has a 5 ton with 53's )super singles, and he put a dodge picup body on it (red) it looks sweet, Ive been trying to get the guys number I would love to buy it from him.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks