• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Are 16.5” rubbers really that bad?

Skrilex

Banned
My understanding of tire size was that 16.5 was less desirable mainly because of selection. Who has made the switch and was it worth it for other reasons?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think that rim size is a late 70's carryover. Back then, 16.5 was common on pickups. Military carried the size along with the rest of the HMMWV heritage items (6.2/6.5 etc). I believe Goodyear and BF Goodrich know these tires are relied upon by our warfighters and hopefully put their best effort into manufacturing them. But then of course, there is the new MT/R demil order . . .

Skrilex

Banned
Yes there are options enough to satisfy me selection wise. The wonderful company interco has us covered there. However many are bias ply which I don’t really have much experience with and also there’s some business with 16.5 rims not having a bead seat? I’m not sure why that characteristic would be inherent to the size but there’s much about tires and wheels I don’t know.
Interesitng anoth the half sizes being HD I also have some vague recollection of that as well.

Basically someday i want 40’s on my humvee and I’m just pondering the correct path to get there.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
ah the days of interco tires in the military. was a glorious 4 months or so before they burned em all.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
"Are 16.5” rubbers really that bad?"

That depends on a few things and need.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I’ve always had great luck with them. Not the quietest or longest lasting though.
The military ordered some million or so pounds of them when they had the armored MRAPs blowing tires cause they couldn't handle the weight, then they realized the interco tires wouldn't do it either after they bought em all and so they burned a big storage area full of brand new ones just stacked up. This was in the sandbox i remind you.

Picture of one of a member here with 40s and you see him on a wrecker with broken stuff.

40s with a Tak 4 kit would not be too bad looking but it is too much tire for a stock truck

Attachments

Sintorion

the .5 is because the design of the tire is different. The 16.5 uses a flange that has a higher degree of taper. This is because it doesn't have a safety ledge to keep the tire against the wheel when you are running low air pressure. Which explains the bead locks. They are designed to be changed without a tire mounting machine.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Basically someday i want 40’s on my humvee and I’m just pondering the correct path to get there.[/QUOTE]

You provoked me to go read and learn. The conclusions I drew were that if I were going to change wheels, or use tires sourced from somewhere besides milsurp, I'd go with something besides 16.5".

So I'm thinking the path to 40''s is a set of wheels and tires, probably 17". I think you want to keep a big squishy sidewall....

Mine will be staying on cheap milsurp 37's.

Augi

What is the MT/R demil order you speak of?

I think that rim size is a late 70's carryover. Back then, 16.5 was common on pickups. Military carried the size along with the rest of the HMMWV heritage items (6.2/6.5 etc). I believe Goodyear and BF Goodrich know these tires are relied upon by our warfighters and hopefully put their best effort into manufacturing them. But then of course, there is the new MT/R demil order . . .

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A friend with the La National Guard also contacted me last week with the same info/warning on the goodyears as he was not sure which tires I was running.

Very interesting to see the Wisc memo also condemning the rims and drawing no distinction as to what type, 12 bolt or 24 bolt D & E. Sounds like a great deal for the OE manufacture of these wheels..... at taxpayer expense....

Action

A friend with the La National Guard also contacted me last week with the same info/warning on the goodyears as he was not sure which tires I was running.

Very interesting to see the Wisc memo also condemning the rims and drawing no distinction as to what type, 12 bolt or 24 bolt D & E. Sounds like a great deal for the OE manufacture of these wheels..... at taxpayer expense....
I don't think they were condemning the rims. New tires come as a tire / wheel assembly.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I don't think they were condemning the rims. New tires come as a tire / wheel assembly.
That is just them covering their butts. As of late though any MTR that has been blown out the military has been disposing of the wheel with the tire still mounted to it. They were told not to reuse them after a blowout

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Skrilex

Banned
Why would they want to reuse a wheel when the new tire comes mounted already? And if they come mounted why aren’t wheels nearly free for us?

Skrilex

Banned
I’m seeing conflicting info there. The one source at Wisconsin claims the MT/R is the only ones affected by recall. The MT is fine? My MT are dated 2007 so that’s getting old but not ancient yet.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I’m seeing conflicting info there. The one source at Wisconsin claims the MT/R is the only ones affected by recall. The MT is fine? My MT are dated 2007 so that’s getting old but not ancient yet.
It is only the MTR. the thread that carnac started he thought it was for something else. It is ALL MTR's dated older than 5yrs. However most bases are only putting new stocks on.

Sintorion

Most tire manufacturers say 7 years. My guess is they are seeing problems with tires between 5 and 7. If your tires are from 2007, you are taking a huge risk driving on them. They may look ok on the surface, but when the tread can come flying off at any time. Considering how thin the metal is between your feet and the tire, it could be a nasty surprise.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks