• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Are 16.5” rubbers really that bad?

Skrilex

Banned
Dang I hadn’t even considered that factor. I bet that could leave a nasty mark lol. Well I’m convinced. Just plunked down $ on a set of bfg in 39” for 17’s so now I gotta find RIMS! Anyone got 17” rims I can have for cheap? Lol.

lowell66dart

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If someone is wanting new rubber for less than $1000 shipped check out Treadway Guard Dogs. It what's called a bead to bead recap. I had some on my HMMWV until I found 17 inch wheels and they are nice for the money. I have no dog in this hunt.IMG_0856.jpg

DatGuyC

Dang I hadn’t even considered that factor. I bet that could leave a nasty mark lol. Well I’m convinced. Just plunked down $ on a set of bfg in 39” for 17’s so now I gotta find RIMS! Anyone got 17” rims I can have for cheap? Lol.
Hummer h2 wheels, 17x8.5 and have a close offset to what the stock wheels are. Sometimes you can find them for really cheap on craigslist or ebay.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
or on car-part.com. It is a an located for junkyard parts that keep their stocks on a database linked to it.

Sintorion

Love the justification!

tobyS

[h=2]"Are 16.5” rubbers really that bad"[/h]Sounds like wishful thinking.

I guess not if they fit.

Skrilex

Banned
So I’ve ruled out all stock wheels except h1 factory wheels due to offset or width concerns. So options for aftermarket wheels are down to only the cepek alloys or stazworks steel custom wheels. The cepek are 17x8.5 and the stazworks are available in multiple options and any offsets. They appear to cost around 380$ ea so they are comparable in cost.

Skrilex

Banned
Decided to go this route. Found a good deal on a set of 39” radials and stock dodge wheels. They have a +43mm offset so pretty good! But, only 8” wide. So it’s pulling in the tires pretty bad and the tire guy said thats why it was calling for 17oz of weight. So that was news to me but i decided to leave weights off and order some centramatics to put the claims to the test.

I weighed these and the stock 37” tire and wheel weighs 165lbs and the new 39” and wheel weighs 115lbs. So, this mod should put me into the low 30s for mpg. I couldn’t believe a 30% weight loss. That run flat thing must weigh a ton.
So that’s where we are in this experiment. Will report how they handle when I get the truck on the road. AFAF0F83-FCF5-4154-B817-518B03A7B3BA.jpgEC2C8D72-F5FE-4F7E-9EED-388EFD15AAB4.jpg8D1E41C9-0AAE-44C5-9CC0-E576814CBEFD.jpg

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Decided to go this route. Found a good deal on a set of 39” radials and stock dodge wheels. They have a +43mm offset so pretty good! But, only 8” wide. So it’s pulling in the tires pretty bad and the tire guy said thats why it was calling for 17oz of weight. So that was news to me but i decided to leave weights off and order some centramatics to put the claims to the test.

I weighed these and the stock 37” tire and wheel weighs 165lbs and the new 39” and wheel weighs 115lbs. So, this mod should put me into the low 30s for mpg. I couldn’t believe a 30% weight loss. That run flat thing must weigh a ton.
So that’s where we are in this experiment. Will report how they handle when I get the truck on the road. View attachment 734625View attachment 734626View attachment 734627
They look good.

Why would you expect to get into the low 30s for mpg?

I would anticipate your mpg to be essentially unchanged. Any gains in gearing and reduction in unsprung weight will be more than offset by aerodynamics and rolling resistance.

Speculation on my part, informed by experiences with other motor vehicles and bicycles. Post up your results and let's learn from them....

And be sure to post pics once you have them mounted.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
They look good.

Why would you expect to get into the low 30s for mpg?

I would anticipate your mpg to be essentially unchanged. Any gains in gearing and reduction in unsprung weight will be more than offset by aerodynamics and rolling resistance.

Speculation on my part, informed by experiences with other motor vehicles and bicycles. Post up your results and let's learn from them....

And be sure to post pics once you have them mounted.
Only way a hmmwv is getting 30mpg is maybe idling on the trailer as it is being towed down the highway. Some folks don't have a clue. The increase in size basically negates the weight factor. More power needed to turn em over and to keep em at a speed to maintain is less mpg. Case in point. 395 XZLs with runflats on lmtv wheels vs 16.00s with no runflats on an lmtv wheel. Mpg was almost 2 less with the 1600s. Sorry. You bought pretty tires and wheels to get the same fuel mileage or if not worse on an already non fuel efficient 1980s technology diesel.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks