• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Start up after long time advice

russojap

Start up advice after long time not running

Hi guys, I haven't started the M 35A2 in probably three years, at least. Is there anything specific that I should do before attempting to start it? How harmful is not running it for so long. I just lost interest in it a few years ago after a rear bearing seal went out and I had to replace it. I nearly broke my back fixing it and decided the truck would never go on the road again. I still don't know if I got the bearings seated correctly ,but at least it's back together. Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

77 AMG

I just got my M35A2 recently, and, she had been sitting for about 4 years. i made sure that the engine STOP cable works, smoothly. Added fresh fuel, checked the rest of the fluids, and hit the starter button. I NEVER touched the fuel until after she was running, and even then, I let her IDLE for around 20 minutes before I touched the throttle. She started up quite easily- no drama. I kept an eye and ear on her while she was waking back and getting used to running again. Now, I get fix all of the leaks from her sitting. Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Hopefully, you will change your mind, one day.

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check fluids. Remove the shut down cover and make sure the fuel control is not stuck and moving free. Leave the shut down pull cable out in the shut down position and crank the engine over to check for hydro lock.
Also all ways leave the shut down cable pulled out when you walk away from the machine.

Last edited:

DavidWymore

I would pull the plug out of the center of the hydraulic head on the injection pump (looks like a gas engine distributor) and soak with penetrating oil like Kroil for a day or two so that hopefully the plunger doesn't stick and the button come off the bottom.

russojap

I would pull the plug out of the center of the hydraulic head on the injection pump (looks like a gas engine distributor) and soak with penetrating oil like Kroil for a day or two so that hopefully the plunger doesn't stick and the button come off the bottom.
Ok, I have some Kroil. What would happen if the plunger does stick and the button comes off? What button? Thanks.I

Another reason I haven't started this thing in a while is because I'm a little concerned that it might run away, the idle control is a little loose feeling and has always made me nervous.

Last edited:

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, I have some Kroil. What would happen if the plunger does stick and the button comes off? What button? Thanks.I

Another reason I haven't started this thing in a while is because I'm a little concerned that it might run away, the idle control is a little loose feeling and has always made me nervous.
That is not paranoia, it is a reasonable precaution. Take the mushroom cap off and have a piece of 2x6 ready (preferably a soldier B at the ready) to shut off the air intake. Oh, and if there is no hose connected to the air connector on the air filter bucket, put a metal cap of some sort over it, even if it is a sturdy bottle cap and electrical tape. It can get a lot of air through that hole...

rustystud

That is not paranoia, it is a reasonable precaution. Take the mushroom cap off and have a piece of 2x6 ready (preferably a soldier B at the ready) to shut off the air intake. Oh, and if there is no hose connected to the air connector on the air filter bucket, put a metal cap of some sort over it, even if it is a sturdy bottle cap and electrical tape. It can get a lot of air through that hole...

What he said ! You don't want to experience a "run-away" diesel engine ! It's one of the scariest things I have had happen to me in all my years working on trucks. It's like standing next to a live "grenade" !

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its a lot easer just to take off two screws and check the fuel control for free movement. I like that better then going into panic mode!!! With the engine off the fuel control should be around the 7 o''clock position and with your finger you should be able to push it to the rear to about the 4 o"clock position. When you let it go it should easy spring back to the 7 o''clock position. If it does all that you won't have a problem. Of all the engines out there the multi fuel is one that by just removing two simple screws and your finger you could prevent a run away. It's always better to take control then to loose control. After you check the fuel control make sure the shut off cable is pushed in to the run position and replace the cover. I have left the cover off and run the engine with my finger before and shut it down with my finger.
Another good reason to take the cover off first is to see if it is getting just a little sticky so you can catch a problem before you have a problem.

Last edited:

russojap

I took a look under the hood, the way this cable wire is connected just doesn't look right to me. There is also a snakeskin about five feet long inside the truck, so I'm not getting in there until I'm sure the snake isn't still around.
IMG_20180821_094554.jpg

IIMG_20180821_093025.jpg

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Five footer not bad but how bout this one. This is my Sons girlfriend snake and daughter. Shut down cable looks ok too me.

Attachments

Last edited:

russojap

Five footer not bad but how bout this one. This is my Sons girlfriend snake and daughter. Shut down cable looks ok too me.
Ok,thanks. I can see how that monster might not look so threatening if you're used to alligators everywhere, but there's no way I would sleep in the same house with that thing.

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep it has a locked child / snake proof cage and they just let Skyler get in the pic for a quick snap shot then picked up the monster and put it away.
You could also leave the master on for a couple of mins. and get the fuel moving through the IP plus bleed the system at the bleed screw at the final fuel filter just to check for air. This might lube up the head and help in quick start.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I took a look under the hood, the way this cable wire is connected just doesn't look right to me. There is also a snakeskin about five feet long inside the truck, so I'm not getting in there until I'm sure the snake isn't still around.
View attachment 738795

IView attachment 738796

The shutoff is connected; I do not see anything major wrong with how it looks. Does the plunger move freely when you release the shutoff handle and move the plunger by hand? If so - that is a good sign! As Floriand suggested, you can always take the cover off and see if the innards do what they are supposed to.

russojap

The shutoff is connected; I do not see anything major wrong with how it looks. Does the plunger move freely when you release the shutoff handle and move the plunger by hand? If so - that is a good sign! As Floriand suggested, you can always take the cover off and see if the innards do what they are supposed to.
I don't know how the plunger moves yet, I'm going to have to cut some brush growing on the other side of the truck before I can get close enough to reach it. There's no way I'm getting in the truck from the right side (or the left) until I'm absolutely certain there's no snake inside. Fortunately the weather is cooling down so it should be looking for a warmer place to stay than a truck. I put a few extra pieces of pink insulation I was working with inside the cab last fall , and apparently some mice used it for a nest, that's why the snake ended up in there. At least there's no mice now.

That snakeskin wasn't inside the truck last fall, so it was left there fairly recently. I think I'll take the cover off as suggested, saw a video that shows the procedure so I should be able to handle it. I regret not addressing this run away engine fear sooner, the truck wouldn't have gotten so run down if I had. Now I'm going to have to replace the front windows because they have delaminated and cracked, but that probably would have happened anyhow.

I bought several gallons of that Rapco paint, to make it the three color camo, but never got around to it. It's only been on the road maybe five times since I've had it. One time a brake cylinder started leaking on the rear, replaced it and the shoes. The next and last time, the inner bearing seal started leaking. Had new races installed in the 500 pound hub/ drum and put new bearings in.

I really appreciate all of the advice.

Last edited:

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know how the plunger moves yet, I'm going to have to cut some brush growing on the other side of the truck before I can get close enough to reach it. There's no way I'm getting in the truck from the right side (or the left) until I'm absolutely certain there's no snake inside. Fortunately the weather is cooling down so it should be looking for a warmer place to stay than a truck. I put a few extra pieces of pink insulation I was working with inside the cab last fall , and apparently some mice used it for a nest, that's why the snake ended up in there. At least there's no mice now.

That snakeskin wasn't inside the truck last fall, so it was left there fairly recently. I think I'll take the cover off as suggested, saw a video that shows the procedure so I should be able to handle it. I regret not addressing this run away engine fear sooner, the truck wouldn't have gotten so run down if I had. Now I'm going to have to replace the front windows because they have delaminated and cracked, but that probably would have happened anyhow.

I bought several gallons of that Rapco paint, to make it the three color camo, but never got around to it. It's only been on the road maybe five times since I've had it. One time a brake cylinder started leaking on the rear, replaced it and the shoes. The next and last time, the inner bearing seal started leaking. Had new races installed in the 500 pound hub/ drum and put new bearings in.

I really appreciate all of the advice.
Yes, INDEED! It is truly amazing how the people on this site help each other out!! Like Rustystud, I've been around a "run away" diesel engine.........................I dived behind a connex and waited for the climatic conclusion. Always better to error on the side of caution, I believe.

Good luck with her and let us know how it goes!

russojap

Thank you, I got the left side brush cut down and found a truck in there. The plunger is very stiff to move in or out, so will have to see what's going on there.

IMG_20180822_112429.jpg

IMG_20180822_112505.jpg

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't sweat the snake, he is long gone. Wasps are the big threat. They love these old metal trucks. Pay close attention to a flying wasp in the cab or around the engine bay. I have found nests under the dash and around the engine. The engine starts, noise and vibration, and one wasp turns into a bunch of aggravated pissed off insects that will light you up.
Best thing is put the truck in neutral and pull it out of the weeds to an open area. You will need the room if you have to start step'n and fetch'n.

russojap

We want a startup video!
Ok, I'll film it, but will have to figure out how to post it. I'm planning to start it Saturday. The fuel doesn't smell like Diesel to me, more like paint or something. It's been in there around nine years so I might siphon it out and add new fuel.

It looks like the left side rear axle is leaking now also, but the truck has been sitting in the same spot leaning to the left for years.
IMG_20180823_112546.jpgIMG_20180823_112558.jpg
IMG_20180823_112447.jpg
IMG_20180823_112502.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks