• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Start up after long time advice

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The fuel tank has a drain plug. No siphoning required. Drain it all out. Put at least 10 gallons of fresh fuel in it and turn the pump on and bleed at the filters. Two good strong batteries and I bet it starts, might take a whiff of ether.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The fuel tank has a drain plug. No siphoning required. Drain it all out. Put at least 10 gallons of fresh fuel in it and turn the pump on and bleed at the filters. Two good strong batteries and I bet it starts, might take a whiff of ether.

They are amazingly resilient machines......take tons of abuse and still give all they got......... We are awaiting!

russojap

Thank you, yes I was aware of the drain plug (double checked to see it had one today) but the reason I said siphon is because I can't figure out what to actually drain it into without making a huge mess. It only shows to have about 3 or 4 inches in the tank using a yard stick, but it seems like once fuel started coming out it would be hard to stop the flow to change containers without getting diesel everywhere I'm probably over thinking it. I guess I could just have the containers ready and swap them out quickly using the biggest funnel I can find.

Last edited:

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you, yes I was aware of the drain plug (double checked to see it had one today) but the reason I said siphon is because I can't figure out what to actually drain it into without making a huge mess. It only shows to have about 3 or 4 inches in the tank using a yard stick, but it seems like once it started coming out it would be hard to stop the flow to change containers without getting diesel everywhere. I'm probably over thinking it. I guess I could just have the containers ready and swap them out quickly using the biggest funnel I can find.

Yup, have em ready and lined up. Pull one out and slide the other in. Won't be much of a "mess" .....could put the plug back in the hole too! Plumbers do it all the time.....LOL

russojap

Ok, here is the start up video I promised.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Dps_x_spcN4

I obviously put the wrong spark plugs in it. :lol:
Fortunately that is not really mine however. I took the engine stop cover off and the little lever didn't want to move freely at first, then it did loosen up , but got stuck in the rearward four o'clock position. It seemed like the mechanism also had some play in and out towards the engine. I think this may be why it was dying without constantly stepping on the pedal or pulling out the idle control in the past. How can I fix it please?

I saw this interesting video, could this be the problem? I wonder if I could just spray some penetrating oil on the lever.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VuzZBicUIok

I've drained the tank by removing the plug and added new fuel, but won't go any further until I get this fixed.I can't even move the control with a screwdriver pushing gently on the linkage part.
Again, thanks for all the help so far, I couldn't have done this without your help.

IMG_20180825_190451.jpgIMG_20180825_191057.jpg
IMG_20180825_190555.jpgIMG_20180825_190717.jpgIMG_20180825_190617_1.jpgIMG_20180825_190632.jpg
The snakeskin under the passenger seat, pardon the mess, I more or less abandoned the truck after the bearing seal failed, and it became sort of a catch all.IMG_20180825_191754.jpg

Edit: Im going to use one of these on the open air cleaner connector, then put gorilla tape around it, sound ok?
Is pvc strong enough?

IMG_20180825_211028.jpgIMG_20180825_211059.jpg

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well the good thing looks like someone left the shut down cable pulled out like they should. The fuel control is stuck in the shut off position and if someone were to start it it would have gone to WOT. Your going to have to cut the safety wire remove the fuel control and see about getting free. If you have to do this outside put a tarp down you don't want to loose the linkage clip or the fuel control little pin in the end that goes into the collar. Also make a catch with rags or something around the bottom of the IP to catch pin or clip.

russojap

Well the good thing looks like someone left the shut down cable pulled out like they should. The fuel control is stuck in the shut off position and if someone were to start it it would have gone to WOT. Your going to have to cut the safety wire remove the fuel control and see about getting free. If you have to do this outside put a tarp down you don't want to loose the linkage clip or the fuel control little pin in the end that goes into the collar. Also make a catch with rags or something around the bottom of the IP to catch pin or clip.
Ok,thank you, I'm not really that confident with my ability to get it back together right. Is there any other way to get it unstuck without taking it apart? Why is it stuck anyhow? What will prevent it from getting stuck again even if I do get it loose?
Thank you.

Edit: I pulled the shutdown cable out the other day after you recommend it be left in that position, a few years late on my part.

Last edited:

russojap

Well , judging by the lack of responses regarding an alternative to removing the fuel control , it looks like I'm going to have to remove it. Can I cause any damage if I don't get it put back in correctly? I'm guessing a runaway engine in a worse case scenario. Thank you.

rustystud

Well , judging by the lack of responses regarding an alternative to removing the fuel control , it looks like I'm going to have to remove it. Can I cause any damage if I don't get it put back in correctly? I'm guessing a runaway engine in a worse case scenario. Thank you.

I would spray it down first with a good penetrating lubricant. Then if that fails to loosen it you can take it apart. I prefer to use "Tri-Flow" spray. It is a "Teflon" based lubricant that can really get into tight spots.

russojap

I would spray it down first with a good penetrating lubricant. Then if that fails to loosen it you can take it apart. I prefer to use "Tri-Flow" spray. It is a "Teflon" based lubricant that can really get into tight spots.
Ok, thank you, I have never heard of that but will look for it. Maybe I could put some kroil in a spray bottle and use it for now. Seems so strange that thing could stick like that. I think a better word might be jammed.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have had one that was so stuck even after I removed it it would no come apart with a hammer. Remove it and mix 50 50 ATF and acetone and let it sit for a couple of days in a jar of the mix then see if you can disasemble it and clean it. Be very careful to watch the way it is put together and take picks if you need to remember. You might have to polish it with white jewelers rouge and cotton ball or soft cloth then lube it and reassemble and put the fuel control back in top the IP. It must work very easy to be right.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After you remove the fuel control and it has sat in something see if it has freed up. If not your going to have to pull the fuel control apart. The tab and the shaft are splined and that is what we want to watch very close as to the orientation of the alinement or number of degrees it sit at and the small pin on the back side. Take pics is the best thing. If you don't have any white rouge I could send you a piece or just use tooth paste to polish the fuel control shaft.

Last edited:

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Do what these guys are telling you to do with the fuel control mechanism.
For your piece of mind and insurance just put a ball valve between the secondaries and the HH.
A quick shut off valve for the fuel can be easily rigged with a wire pull to the cab.
It starts, it runs away, it gets his fuel shutoff.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea Orren had the best idea when we were talking about it a electric fuel solenoid wired to the master. Easy because of the Synflex plastic tubing.

rustystud

Ok, thank you, I have never heard of that but will look for it. Maybe I could put some kroil in a spray bottle and use it for now. Seems so strange that thing could stick like that. I think a better word might be jammed.
Remember, diesel fuel is made from distilled crude oil. Once the "volatile" liquids vapor off over time, your left with the basic crud. Asphalt ! Well not really asphalt but close !

russojap

Very interesting info on the fuel, I'm glad you guys mentioned it. The other day before draining the tank I opened up the drain on the filter behind the bumper, but nothing came out, it was dry as a bone, today there was a drop of fuel hanging there, but no evidence of any fuel on the ground, and the filter housing has become fuel covered.I guess it's just leeching upwards from the slight amount coming out. Shouldn't more fuel have came out, what's going on with this? Thank you.
IMG_20180829_104834.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks