• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stuck valve

dads6x6

I think my M37 has a stuck valve
I didn’t start if for the summer and now when I start it,
it misses. Have to throttle up to keep it running
fuel pump is recently rebuilt by Midwest military. I also rebuilt the carb last summer and it ran great after. how can o check and if so do 8 have to take the head off to fix it?

thanks

mdainsd

Mine came out of long term storage after a depot rebuild (20+ years). It ran poorly when I got it started. Compression test showed two cylinders with 0 Psi.
I removed the head and yep, there they were, 2 exhaust valves stuck open. I tried to gently tap them down to get them moving, but no luck. I ended up taking off the manifolds, then I found some plastic caps that where a tight fit in the exhaust ports. Next I filled the exhaust ports with MMO. Each day I would come out and try the very gentle tap. Nothing. It took two solid weeks for the MMO to soak in enough that I could get the valves to move, but they still stayed stuck open. Since they were now moving I removed the retainers and took these two valves out. Cleaned them and the valve guides with MEK, lubed them and reassembled. Perfect! Runs like a top and never had any further issues. I also treated the motor to doses of MMO in the gasoline and in the oil.