• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HEI Distributor conversion

Hal_VT

There are several HEI (GM) distributor conversions for the Dodge 318 engine for sale from various places.

Has anyone used one in an M880? That is a huge distributor cap, compared to the stock one, and I am wondering whether it would fit without modifying the firewall.

I am sick of fighting with the stock ignition, and the associated rotting wiring. The conversions require just a hot wire from the switch and done. This is a working truck, and it should be working, not getting worked on.

N1265

The bigger distribuitor cap units will not fit without modifying the firewall. I did however do the HEI conversion with a smaller unit from Skip White with good results. ( have since had to replace the ignition modual x2 ) and went a step further the last time by locating the modual by the brake booster and using a standard GM one to make it easier to replace .

I have a video on Youtube under N1265 if you want to see my original install.

Hal_VT

Finally got my act together last winter and made the conversion, what a difference. Used the info from your YouTube video, and it went easily and worked instantly after installation.

Just now looking at my old posts and realized I never reported back.