• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MTVR Cost

sandcobra164

On a side note, a wrecker version MTVR would be a nice replacement for the underpowered M1089.
I agree that that the C12 in the MK-36 Wrecker is much more powerful but I've used the C7 power in a M1089A1P2 quite a few times and it does better than you might think. I've lift towed quite a few MTV's and can still run on the governor at 62 MPH. with the transfer to forward most rear axle disconnected. I also have a M984A4 and it tops out at the same speed but gets there a little quicker since it has a C15. Please note that these are not my personal trucks, I'm still in the National Guard and you fine taxpayers purchased these that I have the opportunity to operate. Thanks Kindly.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
These appear to be a single speed transfer.....thoughts on the low end grunt vs a 5 ton in low?
They are 1.36 under drive Oshkosh 30000 cases. They are even used in the M1070A1 HET. They do well with the low 1st gear and reverse and the double over drive allison. They can handle tons of power

The 7ton has a 6.00 final drive. First gear is 7.63:1.

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
These appear to be a single speed transfer.....thoughts on the low end grunt vs a 5 ton in low?
Also a MTVR has the C12 CAT. 1550ft lbs of torque is double what a NHC250/8.3 can put out stock. So their low end grunt is way more than a 5 ton ever thought about being. Especually with a lower first gear in the MTVR.

JonM934

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I almost purchased a 7 ton. I was bidding close to 12,000 and the truck went for $12,000 so I gave up a little bit too early. They have dropped in price quite a bit.

JonM934

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, in California. Close to Barstow. I live in salt lake City so I figure I can just drive it home if I can win one.

mccubbinsjl

ironplanet isnt letting any go below 16K. im watching the live auction and they just keep extending the time until they reach above that $$. The non running ones are under 10K though.

Sgt Jiggins

Potato Peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
ironplanet isnt letting any go below 16K. im watching the live auction and they just keep extending the time until they reach above that $$. The non running ones are under 10K though.
Hate to say it, but honestly, not surprised. I've seen that happen in different fashions before.

Sorry if, for some strange reason, you were expecting 'the market to set the price'... /s

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks