Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Colorado Bill SB19-054 RE: (Former) Military Vehicle Motor Vehicle Regulation

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jeffhuey1n View Post
    Please help me understand this a bit more. If I decide to drive my gun truck War Wagon to Fort Collins or Greeley Colorado from Cheyenne Wyoming, what will happen? Will they try to ticket me? Maybe try to confiscate it? Any MV shows south of the Wyoming border have become off limits to me? I really dislike politics.
    appears this is only about Title and registration of military vehicles by CO owners. If you have plates from different state your fine as you drive thru
    One does not get troubles in life... just character building opportunities. Build on with a smile

Moderator: Orange Tractor Talks & AmbulanceRV

Daily driver- 99 VW TDI or 2002 KLR DIESEL w/cvt... weather permitting
    Projects: 96 M1078, 97 Triumph Tiger w/3cyl Diesel Kubota
    Sold: 1962 Dieselized Unimog 404, 1984 Int. 24foot Flatbed, 97 Jeep TJ heavily Modified, Datsun Roadster(s) & 510(s)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to coachgeo For This Useful Post:

jeffhuey1n (07-06-2019), USAFSS-ColdWarrior (07-05-2019)

Thanks

For now...... see below post and hold your horses.

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...=1#post2223719
    One does not get troubles in life... just character building opportunities. Build on with a smile

Sold: 1962 Dieselized Unimog 404, 1984 Int. 24foot Flatbed, 97 Jeep TJ heavily Modified, Datsun Roadster(s) & 510(s)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to coachgeo For This Useful Post:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior (07-05-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 41cl8m5 View Post
    ..Okay, what can be done? Well, the President of our club has a date set for a meeting with the Director of the DOR. He has talked to that person by phone about how the way this legislation is being interpreted and is not within the wording or the intent of the bill sponsors, one was a republican the other a democratic. This bill passed both houses with all yes and just one vote as present. Hopefully the results of the meeting with the DOR will change how the DMV is doing business with Former Military Vehicles/Historical Military Vehicles. ...
    Rob Pickering and Jay Couch should be part of that meeting. They both build Expedition trucks based at times on ex-military vehicles. Also Awesomeness and BuiltMFG in here whom are both building a personal Expedition trucks based on an LMTV.
    Last edited by coachgeo; 07-05-2019 at 15:11.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to coachgeo For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SgtMajHarper View Post
    Somewhere we had another thread going on this topic a while back. Here's my take on this new legislation.It all started with a farm implement company in SE Colorado that buys / sells surplus military vehicles for agricultural usage and modifications to them for that purpose. The bill defines surplus military vehicles as off-highway vehicles for the purposes of titling these vehicles and of using these vehicles off road. These changes in the definition do the following:

• A surplus military vehicle may be titled as an off-highway vehicle;
    • A surplus military vehicle is not registered as a motor vehicle;
    • A surplus military vehicle is treated as an off-highway vehicle for the purposes of on-road use and off-road use.

These changes do not apply to military vehicles that are valued for historical purposes. Those that are maintained, marked as previously used by the military and privately owned and maintained for their historical value can still be titled, licensed and driven on public streets in Colorado and you don't have to bolt license plates on them as it distracts from their military appearance.

Two separate categories of vehicles; historical ans street legal, off road and agricultural use. I guess some folks can find themselves in no-mans land where they have a truck that is no longer really looking marked or maintained in military appearance and maybe the state could balk at allowing a zombie apocalypse truck to have license plates, you never know about these rumors.

Several Expedition truck builders in CO use ex-military trucks for the base. So do guys doing their own builds..
    Last edited by coachgeo; 07-05-2019 at 15:12.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to coachgeo For This Useful Post:

Reworked LMTV (07-05-2019), USAFSS-ColdWarrior (07-05-2019)

Thanks

What makes this topic even more complex is in the state of Colorado if the Former Military Vehicle has all the correct markings presented as a Historical Military Vehicle the vehicle is not required to place the plates on them. They must be with them and "if a peace officer inquires or asks to see them the operator is required to surrender them for inspection." Now some of our members put them on so as not to be pulled over in the first place. I choose to keep them with the registration and the proof of insurance card in a packet. I have had to further inform some cops about the statutes and I usually keep a copy of it and that law to give to them and ask them to share the information with their group of course being nice and friendly about it. Most of the time they are cooperative and say things like I didn't know. When that law was enacted it took a while for it to be realized by the law inforcers. New laws can be a hassle and yes my interest is the historical part with the MVCC, we do static displays and parades and other events to help benefit groups like all the veterans groups out there.

Now "retailers", "wholesales", "re-manufactures", "dealers" like dealerships, are all in business to do what it is they do and maybe the guys doing professional conversations have a way to make a work-a-round work for them. It's the privet owner that made big modifications or painted their vehicle a color other than what it would have been in the service that is in a pinch at this point. Right now everyone that resides in the state that has a Historical/Former Military Vehicle and is titled in the state could be in jeopardy.

Thinking on doing a title out of Colorado and you live in Colorado, there is a law on that to. Years ago folks buying RVs were doing just that to get out of paying the taxes and fees on titling and registration. Also out of staters that have moved here and you don't get their vehicle registered in 3 months and are caught the fine is very big, usually more than just getting it done. Cop cars out here have on their light bars cameras that are hooked up to computers that instantly relay information to the officer if there is a problem with the plate this recognition technology has the ability to see the state of the plate and has seen the out of state plate before and the timeline. The **** system is so good that I was pulled over in my car just because the system said to the cop my car is not red is the registration say it should be. Well as I explained to that one I bought the car brand new and Dodge called it "deep lava red", it's so dark red it almost looks purple or even brown depending on the sunlight. The cop said I need to go to the DMV to get it changed, the DMV said no I Do Not. Talk about different groups not talking to one another.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 41cl8m5 For This Useful Post:

Amer-team (08-26-2019), coachgeo (07-05-2019), cwc (07-05-2019), FranciscoDAnconia (07-05-2019), marchplumber (07-05-2019), USAFSS-ColdWarrior (07-05-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 98G View Post
    Nope. CO DMV internal memo says not to title or register any military vehicle, including historical interest MV. Here's a screenshot of the memo and a screenshot of a close up of the portion that kills the historical ones also...
    <cut>Attachment 769715
    The box (historical...not to be titled or registered) seems to contradict the "these changes do not apply...historical" in requirements above. Is the Colorado DOR exceeding their authority?

What other states are currently restricting registration of FMVs?
    NRA Patron , GOA Life member

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jimk For This Useful Post:

I'm the dude, man! Steel Soldiers Vendor simp5782's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,530 Times in 3,326 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 41cl8m5 View Post
    What makes this topic even more complex is in the state of Colorado if the Former Military Vehicle has all the correct markings presented as a Historical Military Vehicle the vehicle is not required to place the plates on them. They must be with them and "if a peace officer inquires or asks to see them the operator is required to surrender them for inspection." Now some of our members put them on so as not to be pulled over in the first place. I choose to keep them with the registration and the proof of insurance card in a packet. I have had to further inform some cops about the statutes and I usually keep a copy of it and that law to give to them and ask them to share the information with their group of course being nice and friendly about it. Most of the time they are cooperative and say things like I didn't know. When that law was enacted it took a while for it to be realized by the law inforcers. New laws can be a hassle and yes my interest is the historical part with the MVCC, we do static displays and parades and other events to help benefit groups like all the veterans groups out there.

Now "retailers", "wholesales", "re-manufactures", "dealers" like dealerships, are all in business to do what it is they do and maybe the guys doing professional conversations have a way to make a work-a-round work for them. It's the privet owner that made big modifications or painted their vehicle a color other than what it would have been in the service that is in a pinch at this point. Right now everyone that resides in the state that has a Historical/Former Military Vehicle and is titled in the state could be in jeopardy.

Thinking on doing a title out of Colorado and you live in Colorado, there is a law on that to. Years ago folks buying RVs were doing just that to get out of paying the taxes and fees on titling and registration. Also out of staters that have moved here and you don't get their vehicle registered in 3 months and are caught the fine is very big, usually more than just getting it done. Cop cars out here have on their light bars cameras that are hooked up to computers that instantly relay information to the officer if there is a problem with the plate this recognition technology has the ability to see the state of the plate and has seen the out of state plate before and the timeline. The **** system is so good that I was pulled over in my car just because the system said to the cop my car is not red is the registration say it should be. Well as I explained to that one I bought the car brand new and Dodge called it "deep lava red", it's so dark red it almost looks purple or even brown depending on the sunlight. The cop said I need to go to the DMV to get it changed, the DMV said no I Do Not. Talk about different groups not talking to one another.
    That last part about the getting pulled over is called profiling and cant be done on the outward appearance of someone or what they are driving. He was just looking for an excuse to maybe find something else. Something similar happened here. Guy in a marijuana green crown vic with pot leaves in the back window and it said "Mr pure" and then the license plate read "RidnDrty" he got pulled over anywhere from 4 to 10 times a day usually. Serious profiling but that is what he wanted
    2008 F-250 6.4L Powerstroke
    1979 AM General M920
    1984 AM General M915A1 (Big Cam III, HT3B Turbo, Brushless 24v Alternator with equalizer, A/C, Rear 20,000lb winch. 11R24 rear tires and 395s up front.)
    1984 AM General XM923A4 ( Big Cam III NTC-400, HT4B turbo, Intercooled, #10 button, Dual fuel Line setup - MRAP Aluminum Radiator - 7" Ram Air Intake system - Dual 115 gallon tanks - Air Conditioning - 145amp alternator - Puradyn Oil Bypass system, CAT 7155 16speed transmission, riding on 16.00 AT-3s on HEMTT wheels. )
    M923A1
    M931A2
    M1083
    M1078
    M796 Bolster
    M322 Equipment Trailer
    MEP-804A

901-318-8353 for Help in and or around the Memphis area or transporting in the southeast. Text me first before calling.

Tires (HMMWV, 395s, 1600s) and Transportation Vendor

Wes

Videos at https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=5782simp

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTd...D4dOJidPFnmYGA

14. The Following User Says Thank You to simp5782 For This Useful Post:

Sergeant
    Thanks

I'll watch this thread to see progress, if anyone comes up with a plan to do a campaign, writing etc....I want to know about it.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to czechsix For This Useful Post:

Reworked LMTV (07-05-2019), USAFSS-ColdWarrior (07-05-2019)

Thanks

Our military drives these vehicles on the road. They have to meet DOT standards. I have not heard a single legislative explanation for essentially banning vehicles. Anyone legislative justification this in any state?
    Remember that tiny cut you forgot about? Brake cleaner remembers.....

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Reworked LMTV For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jimk View Post
    The box (historical...not to be titled or registered) seems to contradict the "these changes do not apply...historical" in requirements above. Is the Colorado DOR exceeding their authority?

What other states are currently restricting registration of FMVs?
    MO is making it massively difficult now too.

Was pointed out by another person that for a long while you could NOT register all (or some?) military rigs in CO. The legislation; that just got rewrote to disallow them, is what originally (for a few years at least) ... allowed them to be registered in CO.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to coachgeo For This Useful Post:

jimk (07-06-2019), USAFSS-ColdWarrior (07-05-2019)

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast