• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M125 Wrecker has a new home!!!

houdel

Well the famous (or infamous) Highpoint M125 wrecker finally has a new home. It was delivered to my house here in NW Michigan about 2:00pm today (3/4/2008) after about 16 hours on the road from Union City NJ. For those of you who didn't catch the earlier threads, it started out in life as a 1957 Mack 10 ton M125 cargo truck. Somewhere along the way the cargo body was replaced with a M816 wrecker bed. It apparently passed through a few hands until it ended up at Highpoint. I don't know if they used it much, probably used it mainly as a mobile billboard and toy, but they did a nice commercial paint job in white with red lettering and trim. I guess the owner eventually got tired of it and put it up for sale and I snapped it up.

According to the driver, the trip out here was interesting. Highpoint decided to ship it on a 10' wide heavy duty lowboy trailer, so they had to get overwidth and overweight permits to move it. The driver told me the combination scaled out at 85,300 pounds (that trailer is HEAVY). He got pulled over 2 times in PA, 2 times in OH, and 3 times in MI. None of the LEOs were at all interested in his permits, they just wanted to take pictures of the wrecker and jawbone about the big trucks they drove when in the military!

Highpoint was a little stingy on the gasoline, I ran out of gas as I was moving the truck next to the Deuce for a photo op. Fortunately I had a 5 gallon can of gas on hand, poured it in the tank and it fired right up after I let the intank pump run a few seconds to refill the fuel lines and carburetor.

Now for the good, the bad, and the ugly. The engine starts and runs fine but seemed to have a little misfire, hopefully just needs a tune up or a good run (hard to say as I only drove it the length of my driveway, about 300'). The trans and T-case (actually an integrated unit) shifted fine, although I need to brush up on my double clutching technique as neither is synchronized. The front drive axle is manually engaged/disengaged with a lever next to the trans shifter lever. The body is in great shape but the doors sag a bit when opened and the door latches and window crank mechanisms all need at least a good cleaning and lubrication or replacement. There are several hundred toggle switches added in the dash, none of which are marked and none of which seem to perform any noticeable function. The manual throttle cable is completely missing. The windshields are glued shut with some type of white caulk, looks like toilet and bathtub sealant. The rear pintle was torched off, they needed it off to fit it on the lowboy and couldn't break the hut loose. Looks repairable with a little effort though. The tires (14:00-24) look like they are the original set from 1957, have decent tread but are severely checked and dry rotted. I hate to think what a new set of tires will cost me! On the other hand, if the rear hubs can be flipped, a set of 16:00-24 (if such a size is available) would make a great set of super singles and solve the overwidth problem at the same time. The current 14:00-24 duals are 114" wide!

After a bit of investigation I managed to figure out how to power the wrecker crane. I immediately discovered a problem when trying to play out the boom cable. The winch drum would turn but the snatch block would not move. The cable was mislayed on the drum, with cable crossing over cable and loops of cable sticking out here and there. By hooking the block to the truck, running the boom out and elevating the boom while playing out the cable (with my 11 year old son on the controls and me guiding the cable by hand) we eventually got all the cable played out. Then I relaid the cable properly by guiding the cable by hand while my son ran the winch control. It appears the cable is not properly routed at the front level wind roller as the cable does not contact the roller at all. The rear roller seems to work fine. I'll post pictures of the front roller later and I'm sure someone will be able to identify the problem. I also have to reroute the cables through the snatch block, as both cables are running in the same groove in the sheave.

Unfortunately I did not have time to take many pictures. I will post the few I have here, and repost the original Highpoint photos immediately following. I will keep posting more photos in the days following as I get more time to spend on the truck.

VEHICLE SPECIFICATIONS
(updated 04/08/2008)
(Here I will list the pertinent vehicle data, updated as more information becomes
available)

CHASSIS: 1957 Mack 10 ton cargo truck/prime mover (cargo bed removed for wrecker body installation)
INTENDED USES: Heavy cargo hauler, prime mover for heavy towed artillery
UNITS PRODUCED: 552 (only produced for one year period spanning 1957-1958)
ENGINE: Le Roi TH-844 gasoline V-8
TRANSMISSION/TRANSFER CASE: Mack integrated unit, 5 speed trans, 2 speed transfer, non synchronized
AXLES: Mack, 9.02-1 drive ratio, full floating double reduction, capacity unknown
BRAKES: Full Air
TIRES: 14:00-24, 20 ply, split rim, 10 each
WINCH 45,000 lb drag winch, front and rear
FUEL SYSTEM: 2 tanks, 166 gallons total capacity, approx 2 mpg
COOLING SYSTEM: 64 quarts
CRANK CASE CAPACITY: 18 quarts
WEIGHT: 33,789 lbs empty (stock M125, 40,540 lbs with M816 wrecker body)
PAYLOAD: 20,000 lbs X-country, 30,000 lbs highway
TOWING CAPACITY: 25,000 lbs X-country, 50,000 lbs highway
LENGTH: 328-1/2" (stock M125)
HEIGHT: 131" (stock M125)
WIDTH: 114"
BODY: M816 wrecker, 20,000 max boom capacity, 45 degree elevation, 270 degree rotation, extendable to 18"

Attachments

TedG

That awesome Lee! I bet you had a grin as big as the truck! From my memory, the plugs can foul easily and there is a better plug available. I will check to see what I might have...also I might have some new door hinges if yours are none serviceable.

Congratulations!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, from what I understand, the 300' driveway just killed the 5 gallons of gas you put in. The truck looks nice! I hope it's what you were hoping for!

joec

Congrats Lee. Unless you are doing heavy lifting you don't need the 4 part block on there. That is one of the reason's it backlashed on you. Practice with the crane and stick out , boom up and winch out at the same time. With it hooked to the back of the truck. I got the hang of it when I was younger. Running a hydraulic crane once or twice..lol..! And conventional up to 600 ton..Hydraulic 600 ton also. I don't know it all but learning every day. You'll get the feel of it after awhile.

Put the 2 part block on and you'llbe fine.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice truck. The truck gets about 2.5 mpg! My wife used to tease me that it cost me $10 just to drive my M125 to town...she was right on the money!

DanMartin

Man, I would single it out and put some newer XL tires on it...that would be awesome, and a somewhat cheap(er) solution. See if you can get something compatible with those stock rims from Berg tire or something. It would keep the height of the tire, and give it a meaner look (not to mention better offroad performance).

Something to think about...

houdel

Re: RE: M125 Wrecker has a new home!!!

gimpyrobb said:
Thats too cool! Welcome to the "club". Plan on painting it?
Certainly - M816 3 color camo pattern. Should be a hit at the local MV shows, although I might need some "sponsor" money to pay for the gas. The closest show to me is the GLMVPA show at General Jim's in Clare MI. 100 mile round trip at 2 mpg equals 50 gallons of gas, that's $200-$250 in gas at summertime prices!

Recovry4x4 said:
The truck looks nice! I hope it's what you were hoping for!
I love it, it is totally awesome, and probably the only one like it in the world! Can't wait to get it repainted so it looks military again. I'll most likely keep all of the beacons on it just for the effect. Unfortunately, I've got about 50 years worth of Mickey Mouse mods to correct though! Should be fun, once I get a plate on it, to pull into the local gas station and fill just ONE of my TWO 83 gallon gas tanks - $260 at today's gas price!

DanMartin said:
Man, I would single it out and put some newer XL tires on it...
I'm trying to do just that - see my post at
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=19725

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: Re: RE: M125 Wrecker has a new home!!!

Lee:
Thanks for sending me the link to this thread I find it hard to believe I missed it. I can remember the big trucks still on active duty at Fort Devens when I was a lieutenant. I was always impressed with them and the 8 inch self propelled howiter something about being a big guy I guess liking the bigger vehicles. I am sure the boys will love that in the summer picking stuff up. Not one kid in town will be saying "my dad's truck is bigger than your dad's"

Congradulations on getting her in the stable

houdel

I took "Da Beast" for a short quasi-legal road trip today. I was at the SOS office today (DMV to most of you) taking care of some other business, I just happened to have a friendly and talkative clerk working with me and I mentioned I had a new MV to title and plate. During our discussion she happened to mention I would need a weight slip to get a plate. So I sez, how do I drive it to the weigh station without a plate? She replies, you are allowed one round trip directly from your home to a weigh station without a plate.

That was good enough for me. The nearest weigh station is about 5 miles from my house. Along the way I stopped off at a gas station and put $100 worth of gas (just over 30 gallons at $3.319/gallon, or about 1/3 of one of my two tanks). According to the weigh station, my truck weighs 40,540 pounds (with 30 some gallons of gas).

Along the way I got to practice my double clutching technique. At first it was a little rough, but after a few run-ups through the gears I was managing quite well, even when I had to down shift. I read somewhere the engine is supposed to put out 297 hp, but it sure seemed down on power. My Deuce is a race horse compared to the M125. It seemed to run a little ragged like it was not hitting on all 8 cylinders. It was not a regular misfire like you would get from a bad plug. It idles quite smoothly, and when I got back from my trip the idle speed had increased from 750-800 rpm to a nice smooth 1100 rpm. Maybe needs a carb overhaul, or just a good long run to get her cleaned out? In any event, it was a good ride, I just need to get the engine running smoother and the power up and I will be well satisfied.

The previous owner mentioned that it has a 12v coil installed, that may be part of the problem as well. Fortunately I still have my old diagnostic equipment left over from the good old days of carburated engines with breaker point ignition systems!

alphadeltaromeo

Lee

It's looking great! Congrats on getting it home safely. It's an expensive, but really fun toy I'd imagine. It will look fantastic with 3 color on it won't it. I'm looking forward to seeing all the pics in the up-coming days.

Congrats again - Andy

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks