• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M125 Wrecker has a new home!!!

houdel

M125 Wrecker engine accessories

Here are some close ups of the air compressor, generator, voltage regulator, and oil filter cannisters. Note the OF cannisters are upside down like on a multifuel, but they must have an anti drain back feature built in. I get 60+ PSI oil pressure as soon as the engine fires up. It only takes a few revs of the engine and she is purring away! She idles real smooth, but is lacking on power and has a slight misfire on the road. The seller told me it has a 12 volt coil in there, I'll start with that, I know that a wrong coil will really hurt performance (told you I was from the REALLY old school, I bet quite a few folks on this board have no idea what an ignition coil is!).

I wonder if my STE/ICE tester will work on this beast?

Not real good detail photos, but I was cramped for maneuvering room taking this set of pics.

Attachments

houdel

M125 Wrecker Artilliary Trunnion

Last set of pics for today.

The M125 was designed as a heavy artillery prime mover. It was equipped with an artillery trunnion instead of a pintle hitch. The trunnion stuck out too far to fit on the lowboy, so the good ole boys at Highpoint had to take it off. Unfortunately they didn't have a wrench with enough power to get the bolts loose, so they used a heat wrench to do the job. The good part is the bolts are loose and I can drive the them out, so all I need is some BMF bolts or threaded rod (and my engine crane) to get it back on again - strictly for show, unless I happen to pick up a M115 8" howitzer someplace.

I still need to figure out how to fit a 5 ton pintle hitch in there somehow, so I have a place to hook up a medium towbar in case I need to tow the Deuce sometime.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: M125 Wrecker Artilliary Trunnion

Lee, in factory trim I'm almost certain that it came with a pintle designed for it and the artillery trunion. Bruce Kubu would remember for sure.

rmgill

RE: M125 Wrecker Artilliary Trunnion

The coil isn't what makes it old school, it's the Generator and separate voltage regulator. Really old school would be a relay operated Amperage and voltage regulator system with a carbon pile. ;-)

Regarding those bolts, you might need some specialty sizes of a good grade 5 or probably grade 8 bolts to get that hitch back on properly. Check the manual. I'd hate to see you towing something stout and have that hitch pull out because threaded rod stretched and failed.

DanMartin

RE: pintle

Wow...great pics Lee! Love to see that engine. Thank you!

Interesting how the exhaust exits on the top rather than the bottom like most other V8 configurations.

What a wonderful truck you have...can't wait to see it completed.

m139h2otruck

Carb looks like the replacement Zenith we put on the 602 gasser in the M139. Does the governor work right? The oil filters look just like the filters on the 602, which are both by-pass type, this is why the oil pressure comes up so fast. Should take the "major" size element. There should be a drain plug on the side of the can almost at the bottom to drain most of the oil when you change it. Real neat manifold setup, with the exhaust next to the intake on top of the motor, like two four cylinders butted at the crankcase, one left hand and one right. Looks like some of the old '30s cars (flathead V8 Cord looked like this).

Great truck, glad you saved it from god knows what.

houdel

Blake said:
It is suppose to have both--the artillery hitch and a pintle hitch. Better have some help to swap hitches!
As you can see from the photo of the rear crossmember, the Arty trunnion was secured using a flanged tube on the trunnion and six 1" diameter or so through bolts. The Arty trunnion and pintle hitch were exchanged by removing a 2-1/2" hex nut from the forward (in vehicle position) end of the currently installed trunnion/pintle, removing the one part, replacing it with the other, and reinstalling the hex nut. Not a job for the weak or faint of heart, those parts are quite heavy. There was a set of storage brackets on the underside of the cargo body to stow whichever part was not being used at the time.

However, I do not have the correct 10 ton pintle and doubt I could ever find one. Even if I could, that would place the pintle quite high up, almost too high to be useful. My thought was to get some 1/2" plate steel and heavy channel iron and create a second set of crossmembers directly below the original ones and attach a 5 ton pintle hitch in the lower set. That would place the new pintle at a more practical height, and still allow either to be used. But then I'd still have to find a M115 8" howitzer in order to make use of the Arty trunnion.

I do have a 2 ton engine crane, that should be adequate to get the Arty trunnion back in place. But the 2-1/2" hex nut and retaining pin are missing, so I'd have to find replacement parts before I try to tow my new howitzer. Besides, I'd be quite surprised if the trunnion is not rusted in place in the flanged tube!

houdel

m139h2otruck said:
Carb looks like the replacement Zenith we put on the 602 gasser in the M139. Does the governor work right?

Great truck, glad you saved it from god knows what.
Where did you find the replacement carb? I'd be tempted to buy one just to have a spare on hand if I needed one. Don't know about the governor, the tach is broken and I suspect I need to replace both the cable and the tach.

I'm glad I was able to save it too. Since there was only 552 M125s built in 1957-1958, I'd suspect only a couple of hundred still remain in existence. Even though the body is not original, it is still a relic worth keeping and maintaining.

m139h2otruck

Saturn has the 5 ton carb update kits. Number on our replacement unit is 29D14R List #13926, dated 9-20-82. Just be sure it is the same, as there are hundreds of different setups for these old carbs. Also check Memphis, but hold on to your wallet.

123mack

I've already been that route with my M123. The carb is a Zenith 29 series, and the kits are just about impossible to obtain. I had mine rebuilt by a shop in Florida, and it is just like new. I can dig up the info if you need it. My gov cable was broken ,so I just dont use the gov. The part of the gov attached to the carb has a diaphragm and if there is a hole in it or a leak in the steel tube leading from the gov to the slave unit, you'll have a vacuum leak making carb adjustment nearly impossible.(ask me how I know) PM me if you need any help, I did a nearly frame up resto on mine.

houdel

123mack said:
I've already been that route with my M123. The carb is a Zenith 29 series, and the kits are just about impossible to obtain. I had mine rebuilt by a shop in Florida, and it is just like new. I can dig up the info if you need it. My gov cable was broken ,so I just dont use the gov. The part of the gov attached to the carb has a diaphragm and if there is a hole in it or a leak in the steel tube leading from the gov to the slave unit, you'll have a vacuum leak making carb adjustment nearly impossible.(ask me how I know) PM me if you need any help, I did a nearly frame up resto on mine.
Mine idles nice and smooth so I think the carb is OK for now. It is only at road speed that I get some misfiring, which I suspect is due to having an ignition coil inadequate for the power needed for the engine. It would be nice to have the info on where you got your carb rebuilt (and an idea of the cost) just in case.

Thanks, Lee

rizzo

there is a guy in Capac, MI that rebuilds carbs. if he can't buy the parts he makes them. does old stuff mostly. if you need his number PM me.

m139h2otruck

Looking again at the photos of the carb, it looks like the M125's carb base is 180 degrees different than the 5 ton. The linkage lever is on the right side of the engine on the 602 and the dashpot for the gov is on the inside next to the valve cover. Carb does look the same except for that. The Zeinth we put on the M139 has a blown gov rubber, so it won't work. Would really like to find a rebuild kit for this carb to fix it, as it is almost new.

There is a place in Eldon, Missouri called The Carburator Shop that claims to do anything with carbs up to the late 1970s for anything (trucks, buses, tractors, power units, etc.). Never used them, but they do have a web site.

houdel

RE: Re: RE: M125 Wrecker has a new home!!!

Well I finally got my historical plate today so I took the "Bad A** Beast" (nickname a joint effort of my boys and I) for a short drive. I am relearning my "double clutching skills) As mentioned, it idles like a kitten purring but has an irregular misfire at speed and is severely lacking for power. The previous owner stated he had installed a 12V ignition coil in place of the original. One story I have heard is that these engines used a 6V coil with a 24V-6V voltage dropping resistor. If that statement is accurate, the 12V coil is being starved for power. In any event, I'm going to start with new plugs, points, condenser, rotor, distributor cap and ignition coil to make sure the ignition system is up to snuff before I start worrying about a carb rebuild.

Other than that, she starts and runs like a champ. 60 PSI OP at hot idle, 90 PSI on the road, so it sounds like it is in good shape. It does have three 12v batteries, the headlamps run on 12V, no idea how to get the taillights or stoplights (aftermarket 12V stuff) to work, no original stop/turn lights, and it is not equipped with a turn signal lever, so I looks I have a lot or rewiring to do yet. Does anyone know where I can get a good wiring diagram for this vehicle?

Snow and ice is almost gone, the MV garage is almost finished, so I should be getting some more detail pics of the various parts and pieces posted soon.

Melvinitis

RE: Re: RE: M125 Wrecker has a new home!!!

when you do paint it... I hope you re paint the name back on the hood, "bad a**", even if you paint in in black, it is the prefect name for the beast.

I see High Point used their own truck... that is interesting, wonder what they did for a return load.

123mack

The -20 manual has an excellent wiring diagram, plus any other electrical info you need. Parramore has them adveryised in MV magazine for 15.00. I got my tune up parts, including distributor cap from Memphis equip. The coil is the same as the 5 ton gasser.