Thread: Looking for help in Denver

Private
    Thanks

Default Looking for help in Denver

Hey everyone,
    I am getting ready to do a road trip but i need some help. My wife wants me to find someone that knows about the M35a2/m109a3 and come look mine over before we put any more money into fixing it for this trip. I live in Denver and don't know anyone here. Any and all help is appreciated. She is even talking about flying someone out that is an expert on these to rest her mind about driving it.

Thank you in advance.

I'm the dude, man. Steel Soldiers Vendor simp5782's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,945 Times in 3,047 Posts

PM Member Therooster2001. He is in your area and is familiar with 5 tons but should be able to help you out

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/member...therooster2001
    2008 F-250 6.4L Powerstroke
    1984 AM General XM923A4 ( Big Cam III NTC-400, HT4B turbo, Intercooled, #10 button, Dual fuel Line setup - MRAP Aluminum Radiator - 7" Ram Air Intake system - Dual 115 gallon tanks - Air Conditioning - 145amp alternator - Puradyn Oil Bypass system, CAT 7155 16speed transmission, Oshkosh 55000 Transfer Case, riding on 16.00 AT-3s on HEMTT wheels. )
    M923A1
    M931A2
    M1083
    M1078
    M796 Bolster
    M322 Equipment Trailer
    MEP-804A

901-318-8353 for Help in and or around the Memphis area or transporting in the southeast. Text me first before calling.

Tires (HMMWV, 395s, 1600s) and Transportation Vendor

Wes

Videos at https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=5782simp

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTd...D4dOJidPFnmYGA

Thanks

If you cant find anyone, do a short trip everyday like its a "daily driver", from just a few miles, to 20-50 miles. that will usually shake the bugs out and still be within reasonable towing distance if something occurs. Keep a eye on your fluids (especially the brake fluid level) and a cheapo lazer thermometer for temps on the transmission, tranfercase, pumpkins, radiator, brakes, and hubs will give you a idea on whats going on.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to davidb56 For This Useful Post:

155mm (07-21-2019), cattlerepairman (07-21-2019), cucvmule (07-26-2019), TGP (IL) (07-22-2019)

Thanks

Grease is cheap. Air is free. Parts failed for lack of lubrication and tires cost money. Pay particular attention to the drive shaft between the transmission and the transfer case. Bad u-joints and loose flange bolts are most frequently found here. Be guided accordingly.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fasttruck For This Useful Post:

cucvmule (07-26-2019), TGP (IL) (07-22-2019)

MVPA
    37751E
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,401 Times in 661 Posts

Out of curiosity, when you say put "more" money into her, what did you already get fixed?

You are getting good advice here already. Says the guy who drove his new acquisition home about 900 miles after a 3 day basic lube, grease and cleanup service. All six axle seals leaked...had no spares. The thing had sat in a barn for eight years. I am an optimist.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
    MVPA member. 1974 M35A2C w/w "Queen Lola", rebuilt LDS-465-1A, "D" turbo, Waterloo Overdrive upgrade. Med towbar, 11.00R20 Goodyear G286, flipped hubs, remote brake fluid reservoir, spin-on filters, bypassed FDC, LED taillights, LED headlights, LED turn signals, WESTACH EGT/boost gauge, AVM lockout hubs, LED convoy light, LED lollipop lights, HMMWV seat on air ride base, M211 dash passenger grab handle, hood lift kit, 24V solargizer/battery minder, ether start kit, flasher module mod, heavy duty dog bone ends, M35A3 aluminium fuel tank.

Private
    Thanks

So FYI, I had to rebuild the Trans after a trip from CO to Mexico just south of San Diego. The clutch has been replaced but not properly adjusted, The radiator needs to be replaced, I replaced the alternator, and a brake cylinder went bad and i have replaced 2 of the back ones already and am going to be doing 2 more. The place i got it from was Idaho Motor Pool and all the parts they said were good have been bad. This being said my wife doesnt trust it and wants some one else to look it over that knows about the the trucks is a mechanic and can tell her if its dependable or if we should sell it for parts.

Thanks again.

Corporal
    Thanks

Sounds like your doing a good job with it and doing what needs to be done as far as maintenance but your wife doesnít trust your work. Might might be a good time to sell her for parts. Keep the truck though itíll last you a lifetime.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,704 Times in 2,713 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dru27 View Post
    So FYI, I had to rebuild the Trans after a trip from CO to Mexico just south of San Diego. The clutch has been replaced but not properly adjusted, The radiator needs to be replaced, I replaced the alternator, and a brake cylinder went bad and i have replaced 2 of the back ones already and am going to be doing 2 more. The place i got it from was Idaho Motor Pool and all the parts they said were good have been bad. This being said my wife doesnt trust it and wants some one else to look it over that knows about the the trucks is a mechanic and can tell her if its dependable or if we should sell it for parts.

Thanks again.
    If your having issues with wheel cylinders leaking and want dependable you should probably pull aal 6 wheel apart and rebuild them all , probably a good time to replace the rubber hoses as well . then you will know the condition of your brakes as you will then know how the springs and brake linings look as well the wheel bearings and new seals . Unless there are service records showing a fresh complete brake job this should a routine maintenance on a new Deuce purchase.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to porkysplace For This Useful Post:

Menaces Nemesis (07-26-2019), TGP (IL) (07-27-2019)

General
    Thanks

Woe and Go. I would also look at fuel system health for sediment in fuel tank, fuel filters, always carry extra filters on a road trip. And a Gerry can with fuel and another Gerry can with clean distilled water.

If you are able to do basic mechanics then doing it yourself is the best way to be able to understand system maintenance and repair on the road.

I also involve The Boss to help with doing repair work so that The Boss can understand and help with the repair, hands on.

The idea of davidb56 of driving , using for basic chores and using as primary transportation to give the equipment time to Stretch its legs is very wise indeed.
    Belt Fed Multi Barrel Motor Motivated

Help From Above

GAU 8 See You Next Time

13. The Following User Says Thank You to cucvmule For This Useful Post:

TGP (IL) (07-27-2019)