• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for help in Denver

Dru27

Hey everyone,
I am getting ready to do a road trip but i need some help. My wife wants me to find someone that knows about the M35a2/m109a3 and come look mine over before we put any more money into fixing it for this trip. I live in Denver and don't know anyone here. Any and all help is appreciated. She is even talking about flying someone out that is an expert on these to rest her mind about driving it.

Thank you in advance.

davidb56

If you cant find anyone, do a short trip everyday like its a "daily driver", from just a few miles, to 20-50 miles. that will usually shake the bugs out and still be within reasonable towing distance if something occurs. Keep a eye on your fluids (especially the brake fluid level) and a cheapo lazer thermometer for temps on the transmission, tranfercase, pumpkins, radiator, brakes, and hubs will give you a idea on whats going on.

fasttruck

Grease is cheap. Air is free. Parts failed for lack of lubrication and tires cost money. Pay particular attention to the drive shaft between the transmission and the transfer case. Bad u-joints and loose flange bolts are most frequently found here. Be guided accordingly.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Out of curiosity, when you say put "more" money into her, what did you already get fixed?

You are getting good advice here already. Says the guy who drove his new acquisition home about 900 miles after a 3 day basic lube, grease and cleanup service. All six axle seals leaked...had no spares. The thing had sat in a barn for eight years. I am an optimist.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Dru27

So FYI, I had to rebuild the Trans after a trip from CO to Mexico just south of San Diego. The clutch has been replaced but not properly adjusted, The radiator needs to be replaced, I replaced the alternator, and a brake cylinder went bad and i have replaced 2 of the back ones already and am going to be doing 2 more. The place i got it from was Idaho Motor Pool and all the parts they said were good have been bad. This being said my wife doesnt trust it and wants some one else to look it over that knows about the the trucks is a mechanic and can tell her if its dependable or if we should sell it for parts.

Thanks again.

Elk1111

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like your doing a good job with it and doing what needs to be done as far as maintenance but your wife doesn’t trust your work. Might might be a good time to sell her for parts. Keep the truck though it’ll last you a lifetime.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So FYI, I had to rebuild the Trans after a trip from CO to Mexico just south of San Diego. The clutch has been replaced but not properly adjusted, The radiator needs to be replaced, I replaced the alternator, and a brake cylinder went bad and i have replaced 2 of the back ones already and am going to be doing 2 more. The place i got it from was Idaho Motor Pool and all the parts they said were good have been bad. This being said my wife doesnt trust it and wants some one else to look it over that knows about the the trucks is a mechanic and can tell her if its dependable or if we should sell it for parts.

Thanks again.
If your having issues with wheel cylinders leaking and want dependable you should probably pull aal 6 wheel apart and rebuild them all , probably a good time to replace the rubber hoses as well . then you will know the condition of your brakes as you will then know how the springs and brake linings look as well the wheel bearings and new seals . Unless there are service records showing a fresh complete brake job this should a routine maintenance on a new Deuce purchase.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Woe and Go. I would also look at fuel system health for sediment in fuel tank, fuel filters, always carry extra filters on a road trip. And a Gerry can with fuel and another Gerry can with clean distilled water.

If you are able to do basic mechanics then doing it yourself is the best way to be able to understand system maintenance and repair on the road.

I also involve The Boss to help with doing repair work so that The Boss can understand and help with the repair, hands on.

The idea of davidb56 of driving , using for basic chores and using as primary transportation to give the equipment time to Stretch its legs is very wise indeed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks