Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: PTO neutral on M51A2

4 Star General
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,879 Times in 1,145 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Seq View Post
    Thanks, I'll have to take a look tonight. It does seem like that collar moves too far forward.

Any idea if the boots on the shift rods would be available at a local parts store or are they a specialty item? I figure I can get everything else locally (seals & gaskets) and am hoping to have this put back together by the weekend.
    I like the looks of your truck. I miss my 817...one of the last ones made. This no reverse in low is a pain with the 929. I like the body style too.
    M35A3 4x4 "Money Pit"
    M929A2
    (14) 5 tons bought and sold

Thanks
    Thanked 3,158 Times in 1,555 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Seq View Post
    ....Any idea if the boots on the shift rods would be available at a local parts store or are they a specialty item?....
    No idea. The only thing special on these boots is the collar on one end, to hold it in the bore via the stock retaining cup.

Dust boot, PTO.JPGCup for dust boot B.jpgBoot retainer, shaft seal.jpg

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gringeltaube For This Useful Post:

Floridianson (08-21-2019), tobyS (08-27-2019)

Thanks

Reference post 18: the air cleaner used was not completely consistent between Mack and Continental engines. If one was damaged in the field whatever the parts man had would be put on the truck. The Army had kits to convert gas engine trucks to either Continental or Mack engines which would require a new air filter as the gas engine's was under the hood. If an engine was replaced in the field apples went to apples and oranges to oranges. It would be difficult to replace a Mack with a Continental engine as the starter, air pump, fuel pump and alternator would be on opposite sides of the engine. I sure someone will tell be it was done somewhere but it would require a lot of hours to change all that over.

Thanks

How is that retainer coming out (#39)?!?!! Can I push the shaft out far enough to remove the seal so I can get at it from the back side? There is not much room to work in there!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...e2723bf941.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
    M51A2

Thanks

You really don't have to remove that shaft unless the bearing is bad. Just pull that old oil seal out with the help of a pair of sheet metal screws.

Thanks

That sound like a better plan. Bearing is good.

M51A2

Thanks

New hydrualic pump installed and PTO all sealed up. Still weeping a bit of oil from the auxiliary shaft after driving a bit but I can live with it. I have to engage the auxiliary shaft by hand as I'm missing the linkage. I think I'll just make it air actuated if I can find a cylinder that will work.

I was hauling some gravel this weekend and discovered a split in a sidewall. I knew the tire was losing air, now I know why. So I'm in need of a tire or 2 (would like to have a spare also). I also need to change the wheels up front as the driver side is rubbing on the idler arm during sharp turns. I've been reading up on combat vs HEMTT wheels and think I have combat wheels as the HEMTT wheels shouldn't hit the idler arm (am I right?). If that's the case, can anyone identify these wheels that I found for sale? This is the only pic I can get (no pic of the front).Wheel #1.jpgWheel #2.jpg
    M51A2

Thanks

Those wheels are from an MRAP and have a 335mm bolt circle (see them here...), so not good for your M51.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to gringeltaube For This Useful Post:

Seq (09-18-2019)

In memorial Ron - 73M819 Robo McDuff's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,885 Times in 750 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gringeltaube View Post
    See below diagram....

Unscrewing 5 cap screws (#37) is all it takes to remove the whole rear auxiliary drive unit and take a look inside.
    It should come off easily; if not then the front nose of the output shaft (#40) could be stuck in the corresponding shaft assembly #4 and that would already explain your issue.
    Otherwise check for a loose set screw #55; a bent shift fork #54 and a full 1/2" travel of the shift shaft #47.

Just came back after a long day, and ending it with a good pizza with some glasses of wine. Makes it very difficult to read that diagram, seeing everything double. Will try again tomorrow morning
    M51A2 - M52A2 dual purpose truck, waiting for a double brake circuit conversion

The Soca / Izonso Front, also known as the the Forgotten Front of WW1

Czech Emigration Museum - Cold War, US Army Engineers in Europe exhibition in preparation

Our historic blacksmith workshop in Nove Hrady, Czech Republic

Thanks

So, can you ID this wheel? It's what's on the truck now.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...9cadc51895.jpg

M51A2

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast