Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: MEP- 803A All Weather Enclosure

Private
    Thanks

Default MEP- 803A All Weather Enclosure

Hey guys I am new to the forum. Picked up a 803A and as you can see I am building a full enclosure for it.
    Any finish ideas other than lots of venting? Was going to run the exhaust through the roof.
    Any ideas would be great.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Colonel
    Thanks

Because the shed is so small, try to seal off as much as you can to around the top of the generator. The idea is you want all of the waste heat to go up and out, and not give it any route to recirculate inside the enclosure. Large vents on the sides where the air intakes are, screened to prevent rodents from entering.

Excess heat is the enemy of all generators, and I've seen more than my fair share that were installed in places where the exhaust and heat couldn't escape resulting in toasted units.

You could probably run the exhaust out the side instead of the roof, gives it one less place to fail and leak.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Coug For This Useful Post:

Guyfang (09-13-2019), SCSG-G4 (09-19-2019)

3 Star General
    Thanks

Not related to finishing...but if you ever needed to pull an engine or gen head how easy would it be to remove the generator from the enclosure or lift the complete enclosure off?

I'm thinking about ideas of locating some eye-bolts for lifting the structure up & off or hinging one side on bottom, or end, to a ground plate so it rotates up and out of way for servicing or allows complete removal of genset.
    GEN #1 House Gen PU-751/M: 1986 MEP-002a/M116A2 w/Aux Tank & OEM cover
    GEN #2 Spare Gen PU-751/M: 1991 MEP-002a/M116A2 w/Aux Tank & OEM cover
    GEN #3 Shop/Barn Gen NF-2 Enclosure: 19XX MEP-002a w/Aux Tank
    GEN #4 Spare Gen PU-751/M: 1991 MEP-002a/M116A2 (a work in process)

* Disclaimer - My comments on this forum are based on my opinion and my experiences only. It is your responsibility to verify any information before using or to hire a professional.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chainbreaker For This Useful Post:

69birdman (09-13-2019), Guyfang (09-13-2019), SCSG-G4 (09-19-2019)

Sergeant Major
    Thanks

Expense aside, non flammable materials might be a consideration in the event of a genset fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. The Following User Says Thank You to rcamacho For This Useful Post:

Guyfang (09-13-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 717 Posts

Howdy,
    Do you have means to remove the generator from there?
    Will the shed lift off?
    Why so tight around the generator?

Door swing radius, changing filters, gaining access, filling fuel, control panel access.
    ~~Later Mike

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Daybreak For This Useful Post:

69birdman (09-13-2019), Chainbreaker (09-15-2019), SCSG-G4 (09-19-2019)

Private
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Daybreak View Post
    Howdy,
    Do you have means to remove the generator from there?
    Will the shed lift off?
    Why so tight around the generator?

Door swing radius, changing filters, gaining access, filling fuel, control panel access.
    Yes all doors will open allowing for access to everything. Shed doors will either swing up and prop or swing out.
    I have a skid steer should I need to remove the generator from the shed. All the lower and upper openings you
    see will be doors with vents in them. I may just steel screen the entire top from the generator up.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bubba73 For This Useful Post:

Chainbreaker (09-15-2019), Daybreak (09-14-2019)

Private
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chainbreaker View Post
    Not related to finishing...but if you ever needed to pull an engine or gen head how easy would it be to remove the generator from the enclosure or lift the complete enclosure off?

I'm thinking about ideas of locating some eye-bolts for lifting the structure up & off or hinging one side on bottom, or end, to a ground plate so it rotates up and out of way for servicing or allows complete removal of genset.
    I have a skid steer with fork tines for getting it out. Thats how I got it in there. I will be hinging all sides with vents in every door.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubba73 For This Useful Post:

Chainbreaker (09-15-2019)

Thanks

Welcome bubba,
    A couple of questions:
    Where's the power meter to the home? Most, not saying all, but most have power meter, A/C, (utilitys) in a side of the home with no Windows. That would be optimum location for the gen set.
    Be aware of your local codes on backup generators. "Fixed" units may require you to permit & have inspections as opposed to being classified as portable (on a trailer) with plug in cable.
    Also, what's your auxiliary fuel plan?

Peace Brian
    Peace
    Brian

Mep 831a, MEP802a, MEP 803a

Thanks

Maybe you should look at my new hood design and screen the intakes. You won't need a shed at that point. You can build a small fence to hide it if that is also part of your goal.IMG_1591.jpg Sorry I didn't have a pic on my phone with the flap installed. Just a rod rolled into the flap and a weak magnetic strip that keep it closed until the 803 fires up. No worries about ice, snow, and leaves. Originally sound was directed up to the bedroom window. Now it diverts sound toward the ground since the flap directs it down.
    When you put the 2 words 'The' and 'IRS' together it spells 'Theirs....'

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Hard Head For This Useful Post:

Guyfang (09-23-2019)

Private
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hard Head View Post
    Maybe you should look at my new hood design and screen the intakes. You won't need a shed at that point. You can build a small fence to hide it if that is also part of your goal.IMG_1591.jpg Sorry I didn't have a pic on my phone with the flap installed. Just a rod rolled into the flap and a weak magnetic strip that keep it closed until the 803 fires up. No worries about ice, snow, and leaves. Originally sound was directed up to the bedroom window. Now it diverts sound toward the ground since the flap directs it down.
    Looks really good. However I live 3 miles from the ocean. Been through 3 hurricanes in the last 5 years. Rain blowing sideways can still get in.
    What is the price of one of those covers?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast