• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP- 803A All Weather Enclosure

Bubba73

Hey guys I am new to the forum. Picked up a 803A and as you can see I am building a full enclosure for it.
Any finish ideas other than lots of venting? Was going to run the exhaust through the roof.
Any ideas would be great.

Thanks

Attachments

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Because the shed is so small, try to seal off as much as you can to around the top of the generator. The idea is you want all of the waste heat to go up and out, and not give it any route to recirculate inside the enclosure. Large vents on the sides where the air intakes are, screened to prevent rodents from entering.

Excess heat is the enemy of all generators, and I've seen more than my fair share that were installed in places where the exhaust and heat couldn't escape resulting in toasted units.

You could probably run the exhaust out the side instead of the roof, gives it one less place to fail and leak.

Chainbreaker

Not related to finishing...but if you ever needed to pull an engine or gen head how easy would it be to remove the generator from the enclosure or lift the complete enclosure off?

I'm thinking about ideas of locating some eye-bolts for lifting the structure up & off or hinging one side on bottom, or end, to a ground plate so it rotates up and out of way for servicing or allows complete removal of genset.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
Do you have means to remove the generator from there?
Will the shed lift off?
Why so tight around the generator?

Door swing radius, changing filters, gaining access, filling fuel, control panel access.

Bubba73

Howdy,
Do you have means to remove the generator from there?
Will the shed lift off?
Why so tight around the generator?

Door swing radius, changing filters, gaining access, filling fuel, control panel access.
Yes all doors will open allowing for access to everything. Shed doors will either swing up and prop or swing out.
I have a skid steer should I need to remove the generator from the shed. All the lower and upper openings you
see will be doors with vents in them. I may just steel screen the entire top from the generator up.

Bubba73

Not related to finishing...but if you ever needed to pull an engine or gen head how easy would it be to remove the generator from the enclosure or lift the complete enclosure off?

I'm thinking about ideas of locating some eye-bolts for lifting the structure up & off or hinging one side on bottom, or end, to a ground plate so it rotates up and out of way for servicing or allows complete removal of genset.
I have a skid steer with fork tines for getting it out. Thats how I got it in there. I will be hinging all sides with vents in every door.

69birdman

Welcome bubba,
A couple of questions:
Where's the power meter to the home? Most, not saying all, but most have power meter, A/C, (utilitys) in a side of the home with no Windows. That would be optimum location for the gen set.
Be aware of your local codes on backup generators. "Fixed" units may require you to permit & have inspections as opposed to being classified as portable (on a trailer) with plug in cable.
Also, what's your auxiliary fuel plan?

Peace Brian

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe you should look at my new hood design and screen the intakes. You won't need a shed at that point. You can build a small fence to hide it if that is also part of your goal.IMG_1591.jpg Sorry I didn't have a pic on my phone with the flap installed. Just a rod rolled into the flap and a weak magnetic strip that keep it closed until the 803 fires up. No worries about ice, snow, and leaves. Originally sound was directed up to the bedroom window. Now it diverts sound toward the ground since the flap directs it down.

Bubba73

Maybe you should look at my new hood design and screen the intakes. You won't need a shed at that point. You can build a small fence to hide it if that is also part of your goal.View attachment 776583 Sorry I didn't have a pic on my phone with the flap installed. Just a rod rolled into the flap and a weak magnetic strip that keep it closed until the 803 fires up. No worries about ice, snow, and leaves. Originally sound was directed up to the bedroom window. Now it diverts sound toward the ground since the flap directs it down.
Looks really good. However I live 3 miles from the ocean. Been through 3 hurricanes in the last 5 years. Rain blowing sideways can still get in.
What is the price of one of those covers?

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a few left. These are heavy aluminum (3/16" thick), that are laser cut and bent. I will see how much I have in them. They were not cheap as it took a whole sheet to make one.

Bubba73

I have decided I am just going to have roof protection leaving all sides open. Now for the exhaust I think I will just flash the underside of the enclosure so I can wipe the soot off. Anyone see why this would not work?

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a very large amount of airflow from the generator blowing the exhaust off to the side, so as long as there is plenty of space for it to blow the heat and exhaust out away from the unit and not back into the intake I don't see any issues.

You could always make removable panels to hide it when you aren't using it, then remove them all when you want to fire it up. That is unless you plan to install the automatic start board one of the members here has been selling for these things, in which case you'd want unrestricted airflow all the time.

enem178

You can't just leave these things in the elements? Im asking because I'm close to pulling the trigger and I thought they would be fine without an enclosure.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can't just leave these things in the elements? Im asking because I'm close to pulling the trigger and I thought they would be fine without an enclosure.
That's pretty much all we ever did in my unit in the Army. Some of the ones mounted to trailers had bows and covers over them, mostly the MEP00X series. The MEP80X units didn't get covered.

It SHOULD be just fine out in the weather, but here in the civilian world we don't typically have all the same resource and supply chain behind us that the military does, so a little extra protection is never a bad thing.

enem178

That's pretty much all we ever did in my unit in the Army. Some of the ones mounted to trailers had bows and covers over them, mostly the MEP00X series. The MEP80X units didn't get covered.

It SHOULD be just fine out in the weather, but here in the civilian world we don't typically have all the same resource and supply chain behind us that the military does, so a little extra protection is never a bad thing.

Got it! Thx

Guyfang

Staff member

Got to agree. As long as the exhaust flap stays closed, its going to be alright from elements. The critter problem requires a bit more thought. Mice, bees, mud dobbers and the like, not to mention these things seem to be hornet magnets, can be a problem. I lived for a year in Graham, not far from you. Read some of the threads about critter control. For my money, I have seen more damage from mice, then weather.

enem178

Got to agree. As long as the exhaust flap stays closed, its going to be alright from elements. The critter problem requires a bit more thought. Mice, bees, mud dobbers and the like, not to mention these things seem to be hornet magnets, can be a problem. I lived for a year in Graham, not far from you. Read some of the threads about critter control. For my money, I have seen more damage from mice, then weather.

I may consider installing it on a utility trailer and storing it in the garage until needed.

smokem joe

Hardware cloth or expanded metal mesh to cover the openings keeps everything out. I use hardware cloth in the air intakes and the expanded metal from the fan guards underneath to fill the holes there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks