• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steel Soldiers MV of the month 2019 - October VOTE HERE!

Please vote for MV of the month

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Please vote for MV of the month! Feel free to campaign in this thread, but please keep it here and not via PM.

1. hndrsonj
hndrsonj.jpg

2. suzukovich
suzukovich.jpg

3. VenomInjected
VenomInjected.jpg

4. CHIEFSONN
CHIEFSONN.jpg

5. Migginsbros
Migginsbros.jpg

6. 1943ht
1943ht.jpg

7. Tracer
Tracer.jpg

8. Robo McDuff
Robo McDuff.jpg

9. MyothersanM1
MyothersanM1.jpg

10. Elijah95
Elijah95.JPG

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
patcalb.jpgpatcalc.jpg Picking up the "Iron Mistress" from Victorville, CA. March 2007. Lots of changes to come.

Migginsbros

This is our UNIMOG 406.145 aircraft tug build in 1975.

IMG_6293.jpg IMG_0017.jpg

IMG_6247.jpg IMG_6244.jpg IMG_6245.jpg IMG_6246.jpg

Some details of the equipment.

Last week we get an auktion win and now we have the original PTO driven brush sweeper our tug was equipped. A Schmidt VKS 4.1 And a snow plow Schmidt E 3.5.
The 3.5 plows are a little bit bigger than the original 3.2 our UNIMOG was formally equipped with.

IMG_0714.jpg IMG_0717.jpg IMG_0701.jpg IMG_0700.jpg

We rebuild the hydraulic line routing and connectors and we had to build a pressureless return line to the hydraulic tank to get all funktions off the
snow plow.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DSCF2457.jpgDSCF2456.jpgDSCF2454.jpgDSCF2455.jpg Changed the passenger bench seat out for another spring seat at the request of my Navigator (wife). Installed canvas covers on the transmission and transfercase shifters, and converted an APC interior light with dimmer control into a usefull map light. The APC light courtesy of CARNAC on one of his West Coast swings to the Tower Park meet.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While I certainly like many of this months contestants, having seen the work Jim put into his M37 I can't vote for anything else. The attention to detail is amazing and my only complaint is that it's Navy :) (just kidding - GO ARMY!)

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
While I certainly like many of this months contestants, having seen the work Jim put into his M37 I can't vote for anything else. The attention to detail is amazing and my only complaint is that it's Navy :) (just kidding - GO ARMY!)
Thanks! I am currently doing a USMC M38. After that the plan is; since I have so many M37 spare parts (and another truck), I'm going to build a M37 ARMY Gun Truck. :beer:

1943ht

The "African Queen" a 1943 M16A2 MGMC Halftrack recovered from East Africa in 2006 This "Preservation Project" is dedicated to preserving her unique history and combat record as a salute to all those crews who served on her thru 4 conflicts: WWII; Korea; Vietnam; and Africa.

It's not a restoration, it's an ultra rare vehicle preservation of #315 of the original 413 M16's rebuilt for the Korean War. And while I have done multiple restorations the challenge in a preservation project is finding the original equipment and doing all the work without replacing with new old stock or replica parts. You just can't ring up the halftrack parts store in Iowa or Minnesota and order new replacement parts. They are in most cases made of unobtainium.

The other challenge is researching the vehicles history of service etc. The Queen has served in 4 conflicts on 4 continents and is currently configured as she would have been when shipped to the US Army in Korea in 1952 with the exception of her Batwing armor which is being preserved for installation this winter.

VenomInjected

#3 - VenomInjected

Alright everyone... here she is...

1967 Kaiser-Jeep M-715 5/4-ton

eoe1NGp.jpg

History as best I can tell:
1967-1981 Minot, ND
1981-1996 Fort McCoy, WI
1996-2006 Minnesota Forest/Fire/DNR services
2006-2015 Privately owned in Northern Minnesota
2015 to current: I took ownership and began restoration.

This project started out with a goal of returning the truck to glory, not knowing from 15' away that its been "modernized... but gain modern day reliability and easy spare part sourcing; all while gaining the ability to utilize todays roads at modern speeds. (+55mph)

*The original Dana 60/70 closed knuckle drum axles were replaced by modern Ford Dana 60 Kingpin/Sterling 10.25 axles and upgraded to disc brakes in all 4 corners.

*The original Tornado 230, T98 transmission, and NP200 T=-case was replaced by a Cummmins 5.9L Turbo Diesel, ZF5-5 Speed OD, and NP205.

*The original NP200 T-case parking brake drum was machined and fabricated onto the modern NP205 to still have all OEM style levers in-cab.

*A new modern baffled fuel tank (26 gal GM) and safety relocation were added, power steering, and hydroboosted power brakes from a 2010 GM HD Duramax truck were also added.

Enjoy the journey!

Here it is complete minus the soft-top vs. Day 1 in its fire dept-yellow:
qGFwbxW.jpg

Down to its good bones for powdercoat

mZSyf9z.jpgY21W7YB.jpg hDkiS5z.jpg

Time to add modern power using some 3D-CAD (Mechanical Engineer by trade)
mRKvI40.jpg tjnzMtQ.jpg 4PPr7HO.jpg
Lets add some modern steering, brakes, fueling and axles!

PdGMN6r.jpg miyOtgw.jpg
Time for USMC 24052 Forest Green!
BeVe3uv.jpg

Time to Re-assemble and add new wiring and dash/guages and some floor courtesy night lighting!

Y8IsCPw.jpg btx64Ym.jpg 68hRjVI.jpg
Engine fits like a GLOVE!

Hx0FN1h.jpg AdZKwZl.jpg
Finished product and even hauls the M101A2 around nicely!

6BaEbnw.jpg s9nPM8o.jpg savwWjM.jpg

And of course... a little drive video... Let that turbo sing!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBHSAF1Azqo&t=3s

Attachments

Migginsbros

This straight 6 cyl. direct diesel injected watercooled mercedes benz M352 engine is good for up to 55miles with 5 passengers(driver included).

Unimog Ausfahrt 23.03.13 001.jpg campain 406.145 040.jpg campain 406.145 041.jpg IMG_0811.jpg IMG_0812.jpg

The main task is to pull an push on plain surface but you can also have fun in rough terrain.

air.jpg BILD9142.jpgBILD9141.jpgBILD9145.jpg

Migginsbros :tank::tank:

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMG_2345.jpgpatcalg 3.jpgpatcale 2.jpgpatcalf 2.jpgDSCF1600.jpgDSC_0110.jpg I installed the M52A2 air cleaner a few years ago, as I plan to install an LDS engine when my good running LDT engine calls it quits. Two years ago I installed the 10,000 lb. winch and PTO, along with a canvas winch cover from John Tennis.

Last edited:

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hndrsonj, your restoration is top notch. Attention to detail is incredible. I envy your abilities. My vote hands down.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Going for a replica or a tribute or maybe a bit of both? 8
I am leaning towards the Guntruck "Otto". I should have also added before it has the 4:89 gearing and a front disk conversion. Notice every grease zerk is painted yellow...
brakes.jpgbrakes 2.jpgbrakes 3.jpg

Last edited:

dmetalmiki

The "African Queen" a 1943 M16A2 MGMC Halftrack recovered from East Africa in 2006 This "Preservation Project" is dedicated to preserving her unique history and combat record as a salute to all those crews who served on her thru 4 conflicts: WWII; Korea; Vietnam; and Africa.

It's not a restoration, it's an ultra rare vehicle preservation of #315 of the original 413 M16's rebuilt for the Korean War. And while I have done multiple restorations the challenge in a preservation project is finding the original equipment and doing all the work without replacing with new old stock or replica parts. You just can't ring up the halftrack parts store in Iowa or Minnesota and order new replacement parts. They are in most cases made of unobtainium.

The other challenge is researching the vehicles history of service etc. The Queen has served in 4 conflicts on 4 continents and is currently configured as she would have been when shipped to the US Army in Korea in 1952 with the exception of her Batwing armor which is being preserved for installation this winter.
Got my vote anyway for sure.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My twitchin' votin' finger hasn't yet pushed any buttons on this month's ballot.

By the "process of illumination" I'm trying to "shed some light" upon the best choice.

This month's stable has some fine thoroughbreds in it..... Such a tough choice!

So... Candidates, please CONVINCE me who should get my vote, please.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks