• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steel Soldiers MV of the month 2019 - October VOTE HERE!

Please vote for MV of the month

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

1943ht

My African Queen from African desert to home in Ohio where she was built in 1943. She deserves to be recognized for the iconic historic vehicle that she is. Service in multiple combat roles, service on 4 continents, rescued from the desert, brought back home where she truly belongs, brought back to life as a preservation project and the glory that she deserves to be shared with all as a sign of respect for all US veterans.

5A As found front view.jpg3 As found passenger side.jpg1 As Found in   Africa Dec 06.jpg22 Interior as found.jpg24 Gun compartment as found.jpg

HT1.jpgHT2.jpgHT3.jpgHT4.jpgHT5.jpgHT6.jpgHT7.jpg

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's how it looked in 2009 when bought sight unseen from a Wisconsin online auction and a link to the 4 year build thread: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?147925-Finally-restoring-the-M37

View attachment 779932View attachment 779933
I have just re-read the entire Restoration Thread linked in the quote above.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND that y'all go read the whole thing as well. We should all have such talents and dedication.

Yet, that twitchin' votin' finger of mine STILL is wigglin' between choices this month.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have just re-read the entire Restoration Thread linked in the quote above.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND that y'all go read the whole thing as well. We should all have such talents and dedication.

Yet, that twitchin' votin' finger of mine STILL is wigglin' between choices this month.
Thanks for the compliment! When we bought it we were stationed at NAS Atlanta. During the ride to Wisconsin, all I heard was how happy I should be for getting my new truck. As soon as we pulled in to pick it up and Wendi saw it, it immediately became-"I love MY new truck". It took a lot longer than I had planned to restore it but it's 99% done. My wife is the Laramie county Toys for Tots coordinator; so that's it's primary function from now on. We are working on getting some magnetic T4T's decals made for the doors for it's use during the yearly campaign. :beer:

Migginsbros

Some shots of the formally Berlin-Gatow Airfield, now Airforce Museum.

Lot of fun for our retired aircraft tug UNIMOG 406.145 build in 1975.

Flugplatz Gatow 04-23-2017 020.jpg Flugplatz Gatow 04-23-2017 018.jpg Flugplatz Gatow 04-23-2017 019.jpg
Flugplatz Gatow 04-23-2017 028.jpg Flugplatz Gatow 04-23-2017 027.jpg Flugplatz Gatow 04-23-2017 032.jpg
Flugplatz Gatow 04-23-2017 034.jpg Flugplatz Gatow 04-23-2017 038.jpg Flugplatz Gatow 04-23-2017 041.jpg

This pic from the 90th is displayed at the post

Flugplatz Gatow 04-23-2017 044.jpg

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the compliment! When we bought it we were stationed at NAS Atlanta. During the ride to Wisconsin, all I heard was how happy I should be for getting my new truck. As soon as we pulled in to pick it up and Wendi saw it, it immediately became-"I love MY new truck". It took a lot longer than I had planned to restore it but it's 99% done. My wife is the Laramie county Toys for Tots coordinator; so that's it's primary function from now on. We are working on getting some magnetic T4T's decals made for the doors for it's use during the yearly campaign. :beer:
Thanks to you and Wendi for your contributions and support of TOYS FOR TOTS ! Semper Fi !
....and Ho-Ho-Ho!

As I recall from my prior Toys For Tots involvement, those magnetic signs you mention may be available from the TFT Online Store. Wendi may be able to order them on her national account.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As I recall from my prior Toys For Tots involvement, those magnetic signs you mention may be available from the TFT Online Store. Wendi may be able to order them on her national account.
She can, and has them; but we want custom ones with a grey background (not white) to match the truck.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My twitchin' votin' finger has spasmed on ONE and cast my ballot.

To y'all who this month are the runners up, PLEASE re-submit your MV's in future competitions. So many are worthy. It somehow seems unfair that we must choose just one from many.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally some time to canvas.

Hopefully we will now manage to complete the restoration: back in my son's workshop area
IMG_7303_resize.JPG IMG_7333_resize.jpg IMG_7305_resize.JPG

Two oldies still going strong. A 54 year old 5-ton Dump truck weighing 10 000 kg and a more than a century old steam hammer weighing in at 20 metric tonnes with a 750 kg hammer.

IMG_7314_resize.JPG

I like double redundancy in safety: two jacks under the front axles and a tire-wood combo under the frame to make double sure.

IMG_7340_resize.jpg

And a third security against intruders; he likes to lay under the truck.

8madjack

Finally some time to canvas.

Hopefully we will now manage to complete the restoration: back in my son's workshop area
View attachment 781433 View attachment 781436 View attachment 781434

Two oldies still going strong. A 54 year old 5-ton Dump truck weighing 10 000 kg and a more than a century old steam hammer weighing in at 20 metric tonnes with a 750 kg hammer.

View attachment 781435

I like double redundancy in safety: two jacks under the front axles and a tire-wood combo under the frame to make double sure.

View attachment 781437

And a third security against intruders; he likes to lay under the truck.
I vote for the steam hammer! :clinto:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats !
What an outstanding restoration project.

Now we're anticipating the NOVEMBER 2019 initiative to be created!
I encourage ALL of you who didn't win this month to take another run at it.
Winners' vehicle entries have "term limits" and cannot compete against you again .... There are so many good candidates out there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks