Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Are temp and pressure guages common application?

Thanks

Default Are temp and pressure guages common application?

As the topic states- Are they common application or are they vehicle specific?

CARNAC has a couple for sale that I thought I would snap up for my spare parts pile. He was unsure if they were compatible with the 809 series. Please take a look and let me know what you think.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Motorpool:

(Isn't owning one of this insanity enough??)
    1971 M813 "Ox" (named for Dewey Oxburger)

I'm the dude, man! Steel Soldiers Vendor simp5782's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,513 Times in 3,319 Posts

Air gauges are pretty standard across the board. As long as your temp gauge matches the range of the one you are looking to purchase that is fine. Some gauges have a 210 degree max. Which is not something you would want to use in case you stuble into them
    2008 F-250 6.4L Powerstroke
    1979 AM General M920
    1984 AM General M915A1 (Big Cam III, HT3B Turbo, Brushless 24v Alternator with equalizer, A/C, Rear 20,000lb winch. 11R24 rear tires and 395s up front.)
    1984 AM General XM923A4 ( Big Cam III NTC-400, HT4B turbo, Intercooled, #10 button, Dual fuel Line setup - MRAP Aluminum Radiator - 7" Ram Air Intake system - Dual 115 gallon tanks - Air Conditioning - 145amp alternator - Puradyn Oil Bypass system, CAT 7155 16speed transmission, riding on 16.00 AT-3s on HEMTT wheels. )
    M923A1
    M931A2
    M1083
    M1078
    M796 Bolster
    M322 Equipment Trailer
    MEP-804A

901-318-8353 for Help in and or around the Memphis area or transporting in the southeast. Text me first before calling.

Tires (HMMWV, 395s, 1600s) and Transportation Vendor

Wes

Videos at https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=5782simp

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTd...D4dOJidPFnmYGA

3. The Following User Says Thank You to simp5782 For This Useful Post:

Guyfang (10-23-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by simp5782 View Post
    Air gauges are pretty standard across the board. As long as your temp gauge matches the range of the one you are looking to purchase that is fine. Some gauges have a 210 degree max. Which is not something you would want to use in case you stuble into them
    Ok, cool. I wasn't sure if senders varied across vehicles (HMMWV, M35, etc) Also, I believe the pressure gauges on the 809's are capillary action with a hard line, not electrical senders. The temp gauge will be an electrical sender. I'll check with CARNAC to see what the backs of the gauges look like.
    Motorpool:

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ajax MD For This Useful Post:

Guyfang (10-23-2019)

Thanks

My 818 had an electric oil pressure gauge and temp gauge. The air pressure gauge was mechanical. POs may have changed to mechanical oil pressure gauge. It is not hard to do.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to fasttruck For This Useful Post:

Guyfang (10-23-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fasttruck View Post
    My 818 had an electric oil pressure gauge and temp gauge. The air pressure gauge was mechanical. POs may have changed to mechanical oil pressure gauge. It is not hard to do.
    The truck only had one previous non-military owner, and they did nothing with the truck. I'm probably mistaken about the oil pressure gauge. I'll feel around under the dash and find out. I did feel the hard air line for the air gauge under there.
    Motorpool:

Colonel
    Thanks

My 813 clone has electrical gauges for everything EXCEPT the air press. It is the sole mechanical gauge. Same on my M35A2, which has lost ground again, it seems.....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 77 AMG View Post
    My 813 clone has electrical gauges for everything EXCEPT the air press. It is the sole mechanical gauge. Same on my M35A2, which has lost ground again, it seems.....
    Interesting! I just checked my truck yesterday and the air and oil pressure are both mechanical with a hard line for the oil gauge and a rubber line attached to a hard line for the air gauge.
    The gauges are totally identical. Identical part numbers, no "oil can" symbol on the face. The only way to tell which is oil or air, is the label on the metal gauge cluster face.
    My truck is a '71. I'll bet your trucks are newer.

I suppose it's possible to install an electric oil pressure sender on the engine where the hard line is installed and convert to an electric gauge but I think I'll stick with what I have.

Edit: Pic for reference.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ajax MD; 10-24-2019 at 08:34.
    Motorpool:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 77 AMG View Post
    Ah... after bouncing to a few vendor sites, that appears to be the case. At some point, the military began installing senders and electrical gauges. I guess my truck is just older.
    Big Mike's says you can buy this pressure gauge and use it for pretty much any fluid system where readings are expected to be up to 120 psi:
    https://www.bigmikesmotorpool.com/pr...41811ff5&_ss=r

or, I can buy an oil pressure sender and convert to an electrical gauge. All the vendors sell the parts for that.
    Motorpool:

I'm the dude, man! Steel Soldiers Vendor simp5782's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,513 Times in 3,319 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax MD View Post
    Ah... after bouncing to a few vendor sites, that appears to be the case. At some point, the military began installing senders and electrical gauges. I guess my truck is just older.
    Big Mike's says you can buy this pressure gauge and use it for pretty much any fluid system where readings are expected to be up to 120 psi:
    https://www.bigmikesmotorpool.com/pr...41811ff5&_ss=r

or, I can buy an oil pressure sender and convert to an electrical gauge. All the vendors sell the parts for that.
    If you have a mechanical oil pressure gauge then stick with it. They are not liars like the electric gauges are known to be. I switched to mechanical on any gauges that go bad.
    2008 F-250 6.4L Powerstroke
    1979 AM General M920
    1984 AM General M915A1 (Big Cam III, HT3B Turbo, Brushless 24v Alternator with equalizer, A/C, Rear 20,000lb winch. 11R24 rear tires and 395s up front.)
    1984 AM General XM923A4 ( Big Cam III NTC-400, HT4B turbo, Intercooled, #10 button, Dual fuel Line setup - MRAP Aluminum Radiator - 7" Ram Air Intake system - Dual 115 gallon tanks - Air Conditioning - 145amp alternator - Puradyn Oil Bypass system, CAT 7155 16speed transmission, riding on 16.00 AT-3s on HEMTT wheels. )
    M923A1
    M931A2
    M1083
    M1078
    M796 Bolster
    M322 Equipment Trailer
    MEP-804A

901-318-8353 for Help in and or around the Memphis area or transporting in the southeast. Text me first before calling.

Tires (HMMWV, 395s, 1600s) and Transportation Vendor

Wes

Videos at https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=5782simp

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTd...D4dOJidPFnmYGA

13. The Following User Says Thank You to simp5782 For This Useful Post:

Ajax MD (10-24-2019)

Colonel
    Thanks

Actually, your truck is newer than my Deuce OR my 5-ton- they are both 1970 editions. Being old military vehicles, there is no telling when/if/what was factory installed alot of times it seems. I agree though, mechanical gauges are the way to go- especially on critical things like engine temp, oil pressure and air pressure.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast