• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Are temp and pressure guages common application?

Ajax MD

As the topic states- Are they common application or are they vehicle specific?

CARNAC has a couple for sale that I thought I would snap up for my spare parts pile. He was unsure if they were compatible with the 809 series. Please take a look and let me know what you think.

Attachments

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Air gauges are pretty standard across the board. As long as your temp gauge matches the range of the one you are looking to purchase that is fine. Some gauges have a 210 degree max. Which is not something you would want to use in case you stuble into them

Ajax MD

Air gauges are pretty standard across the board. As long as your temp gauge matches the range of the one you are looking to purchase that is fine. Some gauges have a 210 degree max. Which is not something you would want to use in case you stuble into them
Ok, cool. I wasn't sure if senders varied across vehicles (HMMWV, M35, etc) Also, I believe the pressure gauges on the 809's are capillary action with a hard line, not electrical senders. The temp gauge will be an electrical sender. I'll check with CARNAC to see what the backs of the gauges look like.

fasttruck

My 818 had an electric oil pressure gauge and temp gauge. The air pressure gauge was mechanical. POs may have changed to mechanical oil pressure gauge. It is not hard to do.

Ajax MD

My 818 had an electric oil pressure gauge and temp gauge. The air pressure gauge was mechanical. POs may have changed to mechanical oil pressure gauge. It is not hard to do.
The truck only had one previous non-military owner, and they did nothing with the truck. I'm probably mistaken about the oil pressure gauge. I'll feel around under the dash and find out. I did feel the hard air line for the air gauge under there.

77 AMG

My 813 clone has electrical gauges for everything EXCEPT the air press. It is the sole mechanical gauge. Same on my M35A2, which has lost ground again, it seems.....

Ajax MD

My 813 clone has electrical gauges for everything EXCEPT the air press. It is the sole mechanical gauge. Same on my M35A2, which has lost ground again, it seems.....
Interesting! I just checked my truck yesterday and the air and oil pressure are both mechanical with a hard line for the oil gauge and a rubber line attached to a hard line for the air gauge.
The gauges are totally identical. Identical part numbers, no "oil can" symbol on the face. The only way to tell which is oil or air, is the label on the metal gauge cluster face.
My truck is a '71. I'll bet your trucks are newer.

I suppose it's possible to install an electric oil pressure sender on the engine where the hard line is installed and convert to an electric gauge but I think I'll stick with what I have.

Edit: Pic for reference.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ajax MD

Ah... after bouncing to a few vendor sites, that appears to be the case. At some point, the military began installing senders and electrical gauges. I guess my truck is just older.
Big Mike's says you can buy this pressure gauge and use it for pretty much any fluid system where readings are expected to be up to 120 psi:
https://www.bigmikesmotorpool.com/p...0-120-psi-7954512?_pos=1&_sid=641811ff5&_ss=r

or, I can buy an oil pressure sender and convert to an electrical gauge. All the vendors sell the parts for that.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Ah... after bouncing to a few vendor sites, that appears to be the case. At some point, the military began installing senders and electrical gauges. I guess my truck is just older.
Big Mike's says you can buy this pressure gauge and use it for pretty much any fluid system where readings are expected to be up to 120 psi:
https://www.bigmikesmotorpool.com/p...0-120-psi-7954512?_pos=1&_sid=641811ff5&_ss=r

or, I can buy an oil pressure sender and convert to an electrical gauge. All the vendors sell the parts for that.
If you have a mechanical oil pressure gauge then stick with it. They are not liars like the electric gauges are known to be. I switched to mechanical on any gauges that go bad.

77 AMG

Actually, your truck is newer than my Deuce OR my 5-ton- they are both 1970 editions. Being old military vehicles, there is no telling when/if/what was factory installed alot of times it seems. I agree though, mechanical gauges are the way to go- especially on critical things like engine temp, oil pressure and air pressure.

Ajax MD

Actually, your truck is newer than my Deuce OR my 5-ton- they are both 1970 editions. Being old military vehicles, there is no telling when/if/what was factory installed alot of times it seems. I agree though, mechanical gauges are the way to go- especially on critical things like engine temp, oil pressure and air pressure.
I agree for the reasons mentioned, also I have no interest in de-plumbing all those hard lines just to replace them with electric senders. Nothing's leaking, so no need to mess with any of it.
It's good to know that I can source new, direct-read gauges.

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For reference, my '79 has identical gauges for the oil & air. I'm not sure about the water temp - seems too accurate to be electric. Battery & fuel are obviously electric.

20190609_181744.jpg

Ajax MD

For reference, my '79 has identical gauges for the oil & air. I'm not sure about the water temp - seems too accurate to be electric. Battery & fuel are obviously electric.

View attachment 780962

Ha, now that's a laugh! Even the locations in the cluster aren't standard! Your layout is totally different than mine.
I'm sure the grunts that put them back together just stick 'em in any spot as long as the hoses or wires can reach.

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, it's a scramble. My oil pressure is top left & air is bottom right but like you say I have seen all configurations. I suppose "standard" would be what the TMs show.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks