• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

SF97s - just letting you know

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
You fellers are scaring me. I just bought two deuces at different times. I'm told the first takes appx 45 days and the following purchases are usually processed faster. Then you get to apply for the SF 97?
Rats - it may take a year to buy a friggin deuce!!

Blythewoodjoe

I don't care what anybody's excuses are, the law requires a seller to provide a title to the buyer in less than 45 days. Why does GL not care about this. I want Robyn to answer why GL doesn't comply with state law here in SC. I know what I am talking about because I have read the law and had my understanding confirmed with the DMV. I faxed the "request" in a few weeks ago. Something the law doesn't require but GL does. Now I am completing the "complaint" form to send to the DMV because the 45 days have passed. Don't discount what I am saying. Everybody else that sells in SC complies with the law or pays the price, why should GL be any different? If you can't do your job and comply with law, don't expect me to look the other way. ALL we are asking is that you do business like everybody else. I don't think that's asking too much.

So the question is:
Why doesn't GL do business in a lawful manner? Someone in Florida must have pushed the point and now they do it right down there. Well, I'm pushing here and now.

Joe Trapp

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
I'm going to the NM DMV tomorrow as well.

My complaint?, the company I bought these trucks from has not provided me with a title, it's been over 2 months since I brought the vehicle home, can you help me?, and what are my legal options?, what?, I have to pay a fine because I have not registered/transferred title within 30 days pf purchase?, surely I don't have to pay that?.....I don't have a title!.....

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, my reposnse was not because Im a the GL Mod. It's totally my personal view.

You can go to Clarks, Memphis, Eastern, Sam Weiners, White Owl, and a whole host of other places, and walk in and drive out the same day. Because THEY did the "waiting game" for who knows how long on the right paperwork to come thru, get the title, and so forth.

If people want the "cheap trucks" from GL, then you need to wait. Is it right, no. Do I agree with waiting who knows how long, no. Should it be fixed and they comply with the laws, yes.

I bought my M105A2 trailer a year or so ago, I paid for it, drug it home, and it stayed parked until my SF-97 came so i could get it legally on the road.. Did it suck waiting, yes. Did I save a ton of $ by NOT going to a dealer, yes. Was the wait worth the savings by NOT going to a dealer, yes.. If I had to pay a dealer for the exact same trailer in the exact same condition as the one I got from GL, Im SURE the price would of been 3x-4x more than what I paid GL for it.

Everything is a trade off... It's just up to you what you want to trade for...

I also run my own business, and if I did things how GL ran theirs, I'd be out of business, as there are other similar to mine businesses out there that can take my place. Problem with GL is they have no competition...If they did, I think they would run things differently..

Also, dont forget the GSA sales that are out there.. They are basically cash and carry..

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
What about purchaces from GSA?........

The point is, they have a 5 year contract with the Gov. so until rebidding time comes up they can do pretty much whatever they want, including having Pis poor customer service.

Just look at the guy they have running Barstow, Dave S, who won't even return a call or email unless you CC/call the Arizona main office, but he sure does cater to the big surplus buyers....I've seen it in person. Makes me wonder if the big time dealers get their paperwork fast tracked?

And I guarantee, GL's customer service reputation won't be a factor when the contract comes up for bid.......It'll be how much money they made for Uncle Sam.

Melvinitis

My opinion, give your DMV/SOS a call. It is worth a shot and see what they will do. I called mine and said it will take forever to get my docs, they said send everything you have in, including your notes regarding how long GL says it will take, and lets see what we can do. before waiting forever, give them a call and see what your DMV/SOS will say. It is always worth a shot.

jumpmasterjim

I Faxed requests Feb. 10th for a duece and 2 M1009s. When I called 2 days ago GL said it should be another 3 weeks. Yippee. I'm holding my breath. NOT!! But they have us by the short.. uh, against the wall. All said, it is still worth the wait. Does anyone know if we can apply for the SF 97s while waiting for the EUC to clear? They should just issue 97s on all vehicles. But what do I know.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I have to agree with Buggyman that the “rethinking your buying practices” response is absurd.

Long post inbound, please be patient.

As an employee of a company that buy and resells things, I deal with both wholesale and retail outfits daily. As a consumer, I deal with wholesale and retail outlets as well.

For instance, I can buy mulch and various landscaping supplies (gravel, fill dirt, compost, etc.) from an outfit in town. They are open from 0900-1700 M-F and in the mornings on Saturday. They have great (wholesale) prices, but they are primarily there for businesses….so you have to accommodate their banker’s hours schedule, as that’s what their business is. They don’t have sales people to tell you what you need or how much you need. Their primary customer is the guy who already knows all of that.

Now, I can also go to Home Despot, they are a retailer. As a retailer, they have to accommodate the retail customer’s needs more so than the wholesaler. They are open until 2100 or 2200 on weeknights and 2200 on Saturdays. They have customer service folks who are there to help you if have an issue (in theory at least).

Now, let’s talk about surplus trucks.

In the old days, trucks were sold wholesale. The process wasn’t closed to end users (the hobbyist) but the difficulty in buying in the old, pre-internet days was much higher. This kept prices down and left room for surplus outfits like Joe Young to buy trucks, get them serviced and fixed up and sell them at retail prices.

Now a days, GL is the retailer. Not only are they the retailer, they want to be the retailer. They are working on being the retailer. They run ads on SS, eBay, various truck trader/equipment trader-type publications and of course, their own website, which is aimed at….the retail customer. The end user. GL doesn’t want to sell trucks at wholesale prices. They want to sell them at retail prices. Nothing wrong with that, none of us want to get less than the maximum price we can get when we sell our stuff, that’s capitalism.

And this policy has benefited them greatly. Just a couple weeks ago, I watched a single Deuce bid to over $5K. I have watched M816’s go to almost $20K recently. I have watched residue trucks go for more than running, motorpool quality trucks went for 5 years ago.

Now, if GL wants to be a retailer, they need to operate as such. They need to accommodate the retail customer’s schedule. No more of this asinine “Preview on Thursday between 1000-1400 hours” and “pickups only Tuesday-Thursday”. I don’t know about you guys, but for me to preview and item and then go to pick it up, I have to burn a minimum of two days vacation. If I only get 2 weeks a year, I just used 20% of my entire year’s vacation buy ONE item.

They need to actually have something as bone simple as an SF97 available in a reasonable amount of time. Actually, it should be supplied with the vehicle at the time of purchase. If my local Ford dealer can do it, so can they.

This is what retailers do.

Now, of course, they won’t, because they have a monopoly on the market. They know this and they will take advantage of it in every way they can.

It is absurd for an SF97 to take 90 days. Patently absurd. NO excuse whatsoever. NONE.

At the prices GL is selling these trucks for, they could hire one full time guy $10-12 an hour, train him for a day on serial #'s and turn him loose doing the appropriate paperwork and have him doing this when the vehicles come into GL's possession.

At $10 an hour, a person is making $21K a year, which with taxes, insurances, etc., only costs the employer maybe $30K.

With the current prices, each location could easily pay for such an employee with just a few truck sales.

Of course, they won’t do that because they have a monopoly. Their monopoly allows them to practically commit murder and get away with it.

The company I work for always has a huge rush in the tax refund season. Our sales go up almost 100% for 2-3 months. And guess what? We hire additional employees. Because otherwise, our customers would have to wait 3 months for their packages. Which would make them mad and send them somewhere else. Wish we had a monopoly on the market.

Now, this is not a slam on Robyn. All these decisions are made far above her pay scale. She has been more than patient and upbeat, considering the hostility of the some of these posts. I appreciate her presence, even if it really accomplishes very little in terms of fixing the problems with attempting to deal with GL.

In closing, the point I am trying to make is that if GL wants to be a retailer, that's fine. They can behave like a retailer and offer flexible hours for previews and pickups and they can take care of issues like SF97's in a far better way. EUC delays seem to be mostly an issue with Battle Creek (the govt.) so there is little GL can do to alleviate that issue, but the problems that are due to GL's policies can and should be alleviated.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Well, according to NM, apparently I have no recourse with regard to the title issue......so I must sit and wait for GL to......do what ever it is they do.......

This really frakking sucks!

Floyd

Ed: Maybe Ernesto down at the local DMV just didn’t wish to deal with your problem. Maybe it’s time for everyone to contact their state representatives and let them know how you feel about waiting 90 days for an SF-97. Everyone seems to agree that GL is a business and it should be regulated as such. Since it is a joint venture, DOD (DRMS) and GL, maybe even letters to your federal representatives are in order. Some how I don’t think it was a congressional plan for individual taxpayers to wait 90 days for a EUC and another 90 for your SF-97.

Floyd

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
Make GL leave the SS site or talk to them about this stuff. EUC's are Battle Creek/Gov. nothign we can do but SF 97's are GL and they take there time after we buy the trucks. Reading more and more of the post makes me even more mad. ,they might learn , i dont know just sptballing.

New policy, have the SF 97 waiting at the local yard for pick up with the truck, 99% more people would be happy and more return customers.

jim-m35a2

I think it would be a good idea to contact the elected reps in Washington and let them know what is going on with GL and how they are breaking the titling laws in just about every state of the union. Being an election year, maybe fingers will start pointing and somebody might actually look into the problem.

Yes, car dealers charge us for the title work but they don't make us take the car home, fill out a request and wait forever to get a title. My son is going to school in FL. He bought a new car from a Fl dealer and the dealer Fedexed the paperwork to me in MI. I took it the the SOS and got it titled and registered in MI with no problems. All was done within 15 days and no late fees were paid.

Jim
________
Walmart Gift Cards

Last edited:

Blythewoodjoe

A couple of points.

First off, Clint, you nailed it good. Great insight.

Second, I have inquired and most of the dealers in my area don't charge for titles. If they charge you something it is to handle things like getting your tags, not the title. They are required by law to provide a title. When they do the extra stuff like send in your paper work to the DMV so you get a new registration for your new car, that's what they are charging for. Your area my differ. I found out my brother in law is a dealer. I was able to find out a lot of stuff about the process from him. It's really simple.

Third, read your states laws. Don't count on the DMV to do anything for you. It's a common pop culture joke that the DMV was created to torment mankind. You may find some very helpful people there, but don't count on them to look out for you. I had an attorney friend of mine tell me that it would cost me $10,000 to get a court order to make the DMV give a title I feel I am entitled to by law. With the vehicle worth $4000, the DMV knows it would be foolish for me to push the issue. Such is life. Our Governor is over the DMV in SC so that will be my next step, when I find the time.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
FreightTrain said:
I hate to tell ya this FMJ.You have a LONG LOOOOONG wait.I sent mine in first week of january.Got confirmation 3 times that it was recieved and started on 1-7-08.I have not seen NOTHING yet.While I only want it for the paper since my truck is already tagged and rolling legal since bama does not require a Title on Pre75 vehicles but I side with those poor souls that are getting Screwed by Government Lethargic and their Incompetent and fraudulent ways.Fraudulent because the website said 30 days.....then changed it to 45 now it is 4 freaking months cause of incompetence Flat out.I can legally buy a Fully automatic beltfed machinegun faster and that requires a whole lot more stuff than getting a bill of sale(most don't get a title).Heck,I got a Federal Firearms License faster than this.I think my FFL took 3 months.The Government paperwork line doesn't fly.Even the Government is not this slow.
I got the 4 month story from the GL phone sevice person this afternoon.........

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks